Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015 Field of Dreams

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
6-6
It didn't rain last night as they thought. I roto tilled and fertilized the 1/2 ac. plot that I'm planting radish, beets, turnips. brassica in. I was going to plant it today but I'm just too tired from the sun. Tomorrow I hope to cultipack, plant, then cultipack again.
I also bush hogged my two 1/2 ac. clover plots to knock down the weeds. Both plots are filling in real good. This will be the 3rd year for both.
The re-growth forage oats is 4" high and seeding out just fine. I'll let it mature then bush hog it, till it under, and do a fall planting.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I ran the cultipacker across the roto tilled plot. Man that does a great job as it was smooth as a table top. Then I seeded and ran the cultipacker back over it to seat the small seed. Looks like rain all day on Monday.
It's hot out there at 92 degrees.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Got lucky just now as the rain missed us all day. It's raining good now and we really needed some rain. Plus I planted a plot yesterday and this rain should give it a good start.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went down and checked my new planting. That freaking grass from 2104 has taken over again and smothered out out all the turnips, radish.
When I was ready to till there was no green plants what so ever so I guess I tilled under the seeds. When the ground dries out some from all this rain I'm going to Roundup the grass, till it up after dead, Roundup any new growth, re-till, and replant.
I don't know what that damn grass is but it's no where else except in that 1/2 ac. plot. If let to mature it's brown and dead by Sept. It came in one of the turnip, radish seeds from 2104 and it wasn't from WT Inst. but one of the other 2 favored seeds company everyone else on TOO likes. I'll never pay any of their damn seed again.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
When I was ready to till there was no green plants what so ever so I guess I tilled under the seeds.

I feel your pain. When I planted Chicory Plus it was barren ground. Unfortunately weeds and grasses came in first in a few areas but the chicory and clover sprouted great. I have mowed it once. Waiting to see if the plot takes over. If not I may kill it in the weedy areas and do some small areas of fall plot in the field.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I went down and checked my new planting. That freaking grass from 2104 has taken over again and smothered out out all the turnips, radish.
When I was ready to till there was no green plants what so ever so I guess I tilled under the seeds. When the ground dries out some from all this rain I'm going to Roundup the grass, till it up after dead, Roundup any new growth, re-till, and replant.
I don't know what that damn grass is but it's no where else except in that 1/2 ac. plot. If let to mature it's brown and dead by Sept. It came in one of the turnip, radish seeds from 2104 and it wasn't from WT Inst. but one of the other 2 favored seeds company everyone else on TOO likes. I'll never pay any of their damn seed again.
That's why spring food plots are such a pain in the ass... Weeds.

Go to rural king and pick up some Tide (clethodim) herbicide. It's a grass-selective like Poast. Relatively inexpensive. It'll nuke the grasses without hurting your broadleafs. Unless your turnips and radishes are already too far gone...then you may be better off to start over.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
uploadfromtaptalk1436065638827.jpg

I know where your coming from. This is what's left of my clover plot. I mowed it down and sprayed it with poast, didn't work. Pretty sure I'm just going to till this under and plant a fall plot.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's why spring food plots are such a pain in the ass... Weeds.

Go to rural king and pick up some Tide (clethodim) herbicide. It's a grass-selective like Poast. Relatively inexpensive. It'll nuke the grasses without hurting your broadleafs. Unless your turnips and radishes are already too far gone...then you may be better off to start over.

No real weeds just a damn nasty grass that came in the seed. The same thing happen last year with this seed. The grass heads out and is brown dead by Sept.
I'll never buy seed from that company again. And it sure wasn't WT Inst.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
7-17
It hasn't rained for 3 days so I went down and bush hogged my food plots. I mowed down to the ground the 1.0 ac forage oats from 2014. I also mowed down to the ground the .5 ac plot I planted this year to turnips and radishes but that damn grass from 2014 smothered out all the plants. I plan to roundup this .5 ac plot and when dies off, roto till it under and wait for green up and roundup again. This nasty grass is only in that one .5 ac plot. Then I replant the turnips and radishes with some brassica thrown in.
I'll roundup the weeds regrowth in 1.0 ac forage oats plot and replant in Sept.
I also mowed high the 1.0 ac of clover to cut the tops off the clover and cut the weed flowers off. In 2014 I a nightmare growth of Queen Anne Lace in both clover plots but with couple mowing last year I got rid of 99%. This year I have quite a bit a small white daisy weed but it hasn't gone to seed so it's mowed off.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Getting ready to roundup the 2 food plots. Last year my 25 gl. pull behind sprayer would only spray about 4 ft instead of the normal 25 ft. So I tore that apart and figured out the problem and it's work OK now. I thought I was going to have to buy a new pump. But both of my battery clips just gave up and broke so I got into my 51 yr. stash parts cabinet and found 2 good clips. Nothing beats a good supply of parts and being able to find them when needed.
Of course I'll spray around the new landscaping before I go down to the plots.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
7-24
I sprayed Roundup on the 2 plots I bush hogged last Friday. I did a double spray on the damn grass plot to get rid of it. I'll give it a 7-10 days and check it for the kill and touch up spray if needed and re-till. The wait a week or so and respray if needed and re-till and re-plant.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I looked over the hill today on my sprayed food plot and it looks like a got a good kill on the grass I want to get rid of. I'll go down and bush hog it down and re-till. It's getting close to fall planting. Where has the summer gone?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I looked over the hill today on my sprayed food plot and it looks like a got a good kill on the grass I want to get rid of. I'll go down and bush hog it down and re-till. It's getting close to fall planting. Where has the summer gone?
I'm ready for cooler temps! Just ordered my whitetail institute pure attraction, plan on getting it in the ground around the third week of august. Good luck with your plots, frank!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went over and checked my west side plot that I frost seeded with clover on 3-22-15. The clover has filled in fully and is knee high. It should prove to be a good fall crop and by next spring is should be really thick and spreading out. Plus the brassica is rather thick and 12" high.
My grandson bought a new mountain bike today and asked me to bush hog him some bike trails. I wanted a bike trail cut in on the north end of my woods and I told him that area of the farm is off limits due to deer hunting. I'll cut in trails on the front over grown pasture in front on the east side of the farm and that will have to do. He sorta understands.

We took a golf cart ride down and got a close up look at the grass area I strayed roundup on last Friday and after 6 days it's almost all dead. I just have one area that is still green and I'll re-spray that tomorrow and let it set couple days and till it under. Then replant.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
8-1
I went down and re-sprayed the small patch in the grass I sprayed 8 days ago that I want rid of. I did a double spray of roundup on it. I will till this under later this week.
Notice the clover patch on the left. On the left side at the far end is the 2014 WT Inst Forage Oats patch. It has matured out. The tall green plants are thistles that haven't went to seed yet and I plan on bush hogging this patch tomorrow. Never had thistles before so they should be gone.
Picture of that nasty grass I'm trying to get rid of and hopefully this is the end of it.
This damn grass will look this brown about the end of September when it matures.

Last edited: