Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

scared of heights?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
there is no freaking way! Wow that video alone had me puckering up! FUGGG THAT!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I fell 32' off of scaffolding back in 2000 and it about killed me, I was laid up for a long time. As long as a stand is set and secured right, getting up and down is easy I'm fine at any height as long as I'm harnessed in.

Your lucky man, damn. What kind of surface did u land on?

Your lucky man, damn. What kind of surface did u land on?

Rutted up frozen ground. I broke my right hip, femur, six ribs, all fingers on my right hand, ruptured my spleen, and ran a 16' long 1/2" rebar through my right leg. Lucky is putting it lightly, the good lord must have plans for me lol.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Here is another video for you all

[video=youtube;CxEa8vr_Q2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEa8vr_Q2k[/video]

Huckleberry Finn

Pretty good with a good tie off and something sturdy to stand on. the stands don't bother me, just the ladders getting there. Climbing a stand in the dark and then it getting light can't screw with me though...just ask Hoyt.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Rutted up frozen ground. I broke my right hip, femur, six ribs, all fingers on my right hand, ruptured my spleen, and ran a 16' long 1/2" rebar through my right leg. Lucky is putting it lightly, the good lord must have plans for me lol.

I guess lucky is putting it lightly. Glad your still here!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Pretty good with a good tie off and something sturdy to stand on. the stands don't bother me, just the ladders getting there. Climbing a stand in the dark and then it getting light can't screw with me though...just ask Hoyt.
Hahaha this was all I was thinking about while reading through this thread. I would have never believed it if I wouldn't have seen it. Puke your guts out from 20' and an hour later shoot a nanny doe at 10 yds.

Still makes me shake my head. LOL

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have never really been bothered by heights. I can remember climbing my parents triangular antenna tower when I was young enough I couldn't even make the steps. I would have to pull myself up so that my knee could get to the next step. I would climb to the top so I could see the road from over the roof, and my parents have a 2 story house. I have always enjoyed climbing things. Trees rocks, anything that looked like it could be climbed. Always went to Howard when I was a teenager to jump off a abandoned bridge into the river. I have also been bungee jumping 7 times. The highest I have jumped from was 150' and that was a blast. I will eventually someday go skydiving.

Tree stands don't bother me, but I have noticed that as I am getting older I am way more cautious than I used to be.

Here is a video to what Kevin posted up.
Stairway to Heaven: http://youtu.be/tgO4Gd4RhvM
Now that i will never attempt.Damn

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
For some reason, treestands and cranes do not bother me up to about 30 ft. I will not do other heights unless I am enclosed. Windows do not count for some reason.

We put up some pretty serious cell towers. Those boys are NUTS! I asked what they make an hour and was told most start out at about $12.00 an hr. That just don't seem like much money to me for the risk involved!

Watched about 5 seconds of that video. Fugg That! Don't know what he makes, but it ain't enough!

Last edited:

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Treestands only but me if it's the 1st time I'm in it or if someone else has hung it with me not there. Other than that I'm not very scared of heights. But I havnt really been on anything higher than me Treestands.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Sitting in a stand doesn't bother me too much. Climbing into and out of the stand is what bothers me. Same with a roof, once I'm on it I'm ok but stepping off and on the ladder isn't fun. Wiring the barn last summer I was putting light fixtures on a beam about 16-18 feet up. Going up the ladder with nothing in front of me gave me a serious case of the willies.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Tree stands I'm good to about 20' then I start getting a little shaky. I don't do anything higher than that unless forced to. I don't fly or do roller coasters. My big ass likes to be on the ground as much as possible.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I've never been afraid of the height of a stand. But in 2001 I was in a hurry to move a stand and neglected to tie off to lower the stand to the ground. With the stand in one hand my foot slipped off a peg. I fell 16 feet. I tried to bear hug the tree but the pegs hit me in the armpits...tearing all the hair out of them. I think I slowed myself down enough to save my life but was pretty stoved up. I was really angry once I got my wits about me and hung the stand up 40 yards away. That evening, since it was November 9th, even though I was in no shape to be hunting I went to another stand and called in a 160+ inch giant. I made a very poor decision and took a bad angle shot...had I waited for a few more steps all would have been good. Two weeks later I was fortunate to take a 141" 12 point but since that fall I am scared to death to step onto a stand until I get my harnass hooked up. I hunt many different stands so lifelines are not a cost efficient option.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Being an iron worker heights really don't bother me. As I have gotten older, I respect it much more now than I used too. I always tie off and if I forget my safety harness, I go back home and get it! Lol

I'm not too bothered by heights if I am tied in that is LOL! Most ladder stands I don't mind climbing up without being tied in til I get up there but I am getting to hate to climb sticks without a life line attached to me. Wide open stands are also a little worse than stands with other trees nearby for some reason.