Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stolen those MFs!!!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I use Python locks on my cameras so I hate hearing it didn't work for you. Anybody have a thief proof method for their cameras? I've never tried one of those metal lock boxes. Always thought they were a waste of money. Thoughts?

I use Python locks on my cameras so I hate hearing it didn't work for you. Anybody have a thief proof method for their cameras? I've never tried one of those metal lock boxes. Always thought they were a waste of money. Thoughts?

The Python cable locks are far from secure. I had one that the lock had become stuck and I needed to get it off the tree so I tried a hack saw. Only about 5 good strokes and I was through like butter. Still better than nothing but there has to be something better.

My buddy uses the lock boxes then straps the box to the tree with a python lock. He hasn't lost one yet, but ants make the boxes home in the summertime and sometimes end up inside the camera. I have very seldom locked my cameras to a tree. I now run all my cameras on Ricks eyescrew mounts. Love those mounts, no security, but so simple to trade out cards. I've been lucky thus far, none have got legs. But. I buy cheap cameras that nobody wants to steal anyways. Another plus is that I've never had a trespasser on my cameras in 10 years.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree. Python locks are far from secure. I had a cam stolen this year that was locked with the big python lock. Guy cut through it with bolt cutters. No telling how many times it's deterred someone though. I've had cams messed with, turned around, corn husks placed over the lens, the plastic loops holding the lock cut so the cable could be slid up and the card taken.

Short of a metal box lag bolted to a tree with an internal bar and one of those circle locks I don't think you could stop someone of they wanted it.

Luckily with the cam I had stolen the idiot didn't know it was a cellular cam. I got pics of him, his kid, his truck, and his deer when he set the cam back up. Not sure how he didn't know. The damn thing has a 6 inch antenna sticking out the top. And don't assume it's the redneck down the street. This guy was a very well know lawyer in Columbus.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I agree. Python locks are far from secure. I had a cam stolen this year that was locked with the big python lock. Guy cut through it with bolt cutters. No telling how many times it's deterred someone though. I've had cams messed with, turned around, corn husks placed over the lens, the plastic loops holding the lock cut so the cable could be slid up and the card taken.

Short of a metal box lag bolted to a tree with an internal bar and one of those circle locks I don't think you could stop someone of they wanted it.

Luckily with the cam I had stolen the idiot didn't know it was a cellular cam. I got pics of him, his kid, his truck, and his deer when he set the cam back up. Not sure how he didn't know. The damn thing has a 6 inch antenna sticking out the top. And don't assume it's the redneck down the street. This guy was a very well know lawyer in Columbus.

That is so interesting! Wow I am happy you caught the SOB!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Did you charge his ass?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My buddy uses the lock boxes then straps the box to the tree with a python lock. He hasn't lost one yet, but ants make the boxes home in the summertime and sometimes end up inside the camera. I have very seldom locked my cameras to a tree. I now run all my cameras on Ricks eyescrew mounts. Love those mounts, no security, but so simple to trade out cards. I've been lucky thus far, none have got legs. But. I buy cheap cameras that nobody wants to steal anyways. Another plus is that I've never had a trespasser on my cameras in 10 years.
I spray Pyrethrine above and below the cam, all the way around, and it stops the ants and spiders.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

I don't think there is anything that you can do. If somebody wants your camera bad enough they'll find a way to take it. I had one stolen this past season too. Had a cable lock around the tree and everything. Fuggin' thieves just suck!

One thing I've done a few times was carry one of my lone wolf sticks with me and hang the camera about 8 to 10 feet up the tree so it's angled downward. It's out of the normal line of sight of somebody wandering around the woods. They can still come back and get it, just like they can do with both cutters, but maybe they're less likely to see the camera if it's up that high?

I don't think there is anything that you can do. If somebody wants your camera bad enough they'll find a way to take it. I had one stolen this past season too. Had a cable lock around the tree and everything. Fuggin' thieves just suck!

One thing I've done a few times was carry one of my lone wolf sticks with me and hang the camera about 8 to 10 feet up the tree so it's angled downward. It's out of the normal line of sight of somebody wandering around the woods. They can still come back and get it, just like they can do with both cutters, but maybe they're less likely to see the camera if it's up that high?

I really think the hanging them high is the best thing. I've got a few on the screw eye bolt deals some posted here in the past and using those to position the camera along with the python cable lock they become really hard to see. I make sure I position the locking part behind the tree where they are least likely to approach from. Beats the wide black or dark brown straps at eye level. There is also a product out there called Cambush which is a fibrous looking adhesive material that you can put on your camera. Some of the set-up pics I've seen those things sure seem to blend in better than anything I've seen.