Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NR Hunting license cost.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I am a public land guy and have been for about 25 years. Until about 5 years ago all was well. Residents got a feel for where others were hunting and there was much respect and little conflict. The NR has been changing this for the last 5 years. I'm sure not from ill will but they roll in and have no idea where others have been set up if you will. This year during the 1st two weeks of November I counted 18 vehicles and 13 of them were NRs. I do not hate OR dislike NR hunters but a solid bump in NR license cost would (could) go a long way to thin these herds. Now before anyone thinks otherwise I am fully aware that they have just as much right to be on the land as I do and I am not accusing anybody of any illegal behavior, it just would NOT break my heart if an increase in cost kept some of them home or got them to go to another state. AND we are too big of a bargain in my opinion.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
For the record I'd like to say that this is the only forum I visit on a regular basis. I like the people on here, Even though I don't know anyone personally. I visit the site almost every day and plan to continue.
I'd also like to say that unfortunitly I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to posting, I should have wrote this post a lot different, I didn't realize people would read it the way they did. But that's my fault because of the way I wrote it. I'd like to thank all of you for the positive replys.
I'll try to do better in future posts, Hope you guys will cut me a little slack. Hope you all have a good day.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No harm no foul man.... It's the dead of winter and we need too get out and enjoy some fresh air without getting snowed on lol.... I need too get on some water with a boat under my feet lol....

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Motorbreaker, no worries. I don't think anyone takes much too personally around here. I'll say this, Resident or Nonresident, everyone should really try and make a TOO event as you will quickly see State borders mean nothing.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
No worries bud. If you were and amish non resident you would be screwed thoughrotflmao

rsmith

I am a public land guy and have been for about 25 years. Until about 5 years ago all was well. Residents got a feel for where others were hunting and there was much respect and little conflict. The NR has been changing this for the last 5 years. I'm sure not from ill will but they roll in and have no idea where others have been set up if you will. This year during the 1st two weeks of November I counted 18 vehicles and 13 of them were NRs. I do not hate OR dislike NR hunters but a solid bump in NR license cost would (could) go a long way to thin these herds. Now before anyone thinks otherwise I am fully aware that they have just as much right to be on the land as I do and I am not accusing anybody of any illegal behavior, it just would NOT break my heart if an increase in cost kept some of them home or got them to go to another state. AND we are too big of a bargain in my opinion.

I can understand where you are coming from on this but public land is public for anyone to go hunt no matter if someone's been their for 30 years or 30 minutes because no one owns it but the state. Just my opinion on that subject.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For the record I'd like to say that this is the only forum I visit on a regular basis. I like the people on here, Even though I don't know anyone personally. I visit the site almost every day and plan to continue.
I'd also like to say that unfortunitly I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to posting, I should have wrote this post a lot different, I didn't realize people would read it the way they did. But that's my fault because of the way I wrote it. I'd like to thank all of you for the positive replys.
I'll try to do better in future posts, Hope you guys will cut me a little slack. Hope you all have a good day.

No worries MB. Ajupsman and several others are NR and I believe they feel welcome here. I HOPE they do. Yourself included. You are quite welcome here anytime. Just seems like there are a handful of guys that chime in on certain threads that like to grumble. I understand people not being happy with the ODNR or people having issues in their little corner of the woods. It happens. Sure seems like they show up on this forum to bellyache on specific threads. Why? In my opinion it is because the deer hunting websites they hang out on tend to edit their comments when they complain. They just want to get it off their chest. In the process, it seems like throwing NR under the bus is one of the ways they like to place blame. Are NR the issue? Maybe in some pockets. There are always going to be some turds someplace. Res or NR.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I like the idea of matching the States non-residents fee. Example, if I want to hunt Indiana and it cost me a 100.00, then it should cost an Indiana resident 100.00 to hunt Ohio. I think that's fair. Heck, I can't blame a NR hunting here! A pretty good deal for the quality of bucks here. A no brainer if you ask me! Lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I totally agree.
I like the idea of matching the States non-residents fee. Example, if I want to hunt Indiana and it cost me a 100.00, then it should cost an Indiana resident 100.00 to hunt Ohio. I think that's fair. Heck, I can't blame a NR hunting here! A pretty good deal for the quality of bucks here. A no brainer if you ask me! Lol

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I buy a nonresident tag to hunt WV. After all the tags I usually spend less than $250. Cheap entertainment in my opinion. Until the cost in Ohio is $500+ I doubt it slows many guys down. I'm sure I will feel the affects of this increase once WV adjusts their prices.

As far as my feelings for NRs: If they are legal and not overbearing I have no problems with them. JoeJoe and I text year round now about what's happening in our outdoor worlds. The guys that lease the property beside us are from Fairmont WV, we have a good relationship.

I can't tolerate poachers and thieves...most of them are residents of Ohio.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I can understand where you are coming from on this but public land is public for anyone to go hunt no matter if someone's been their for 30 years or 30 minutes because no one owns it but the state. Just my opinion on that subject.

LOL! Good thing I put this in my post!
Now before anyone thinks otherwise I am fully aware that they have just as much right to be on the land as I do and I am not accusing anybody of any illegal behavior, it just would NOT break my heart if an increase in cost kept some of them home or got them to go to another state. AND we are too big of a bargain in my opinion.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have no problems with NRs either but with those who think it should be recipicated.

As far as public land hunting, I've done it but it was not an enjoyable experience for the same reasons reo mentioned. Seems hunters lose some ethics or common courteousy towards others when hunting public ground!

I've tried getting deeper to get away from those too lazy but deeper just put me closer to those hunting from the other side.lol

I've hunted Caesars Creek,Hueston Woods,Paint Creek,Stone Lick(scouted it)and East Fork and all of them hold good deer but lots of unhuntable acreage within these parks giving the deer plenty of places to go for safety.....and believe me, they know when to come and go from them too!!! That's not the biggest problem though, I don't think these parks have enough land to satisfy the amount of hunters flocking to these places! The leasing has made most resident hunters resort to public land hunting and with the onslaught of NRs over the past decade you start having issues. It's just the way it is nowadays!

If I ever lose my spots I hunt now I'll hit the road and head to the WNF or AEP, if they don't start leasing parts of those area by then!lol

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

Just gotta say that since i've moved from Ohio to Michigan I feel hated on this forum. Seems a lot of people on here blame everything on the NR hunters. And think they should raise the NR license fees. I wouldn't have a problem with them raising the fees as long as they don't jump out of the tree.
Someone said they should raise them to $500.00

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518---,00.html

I am the individual that suggested we raise NR's to $500. I am not really concerned with MIchigan, Indiana, or Penn hunters. The guys from the South have changed our hunting culture . I lived NC for 4 years and hunting was so cut throat and greed driven, that it almost took the enjoyment of it. I just fear that hunting will become so expensive that some of us will no longer be able to enjoy the sport.

Bigcountry40

Whats Illinois cost? I was in hunt club in NC and our president spent somewhere between $500 and 1k just to get a license and tag each year, this is what he told me, any truth?

Last edited: