Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NR Hunting license cost.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Just gotta say that since i've moved from Ohio to Michigan I feel hated on this forum. Seems a lot of people on here blame everything on the NR hunters. And think they should raise the NR license fees. I wouldn't have a problem with them raising the fees as long as they don't jump out of the tree.
Someone said they should raise them to $500.00

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518---,00.html

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
leasing up all the land and killing all the deer. Ive read it many times. I didn't post this to start anything, Just to show what a NR license cost in Michigan.

Should go back to the way it used to be. If Michigan charged an Ohio hunter $75 for a tag Ohio charged $75 for a Michigan hunter. I believe this was termed reciprocal fees.

I have a four hunters that lease about 150 acres 3/4 mile or less from my hunting grounds. These fellas are from Vermont and hunt about 2 weeks a year in archery season. I've talked to them a few times and you couldn't find a better group of educated, caring hunters. They only shoot decent bucks and no does. I think there are good and bad individuals from everywhere. Just because a guy comes from a different state to hunt doesn't make him a bad apple IMO.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I live in Texas now. Id pay a stupid amount of money to support my home states hunting.

The entire NR hated thing, I don't buy it. I do think many feel strongly about anti leasing. However, can't blame a guy who has an 8 hour drive to lease up ground so he knows he has a place to go.

I think the killing to many deer thing is a totally separate argument, and I don't feel is at all related to NR hunters. IMO.

Don't feel hated man, I remember you on this forum for awhile, and if I recall you've killed some turbo bucks! Good luck hunting next season!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
leasing up all the land and killing all the deer. Ive read it many times. I didn't post this to start anything, Just to show what a NR license cost in Michigan.
WELL i 'm sure they are pulling their weight in leasing. Maybe its true for some people and not for others so their comments are from their perspective and should be taken as such. Its not that they are wrong or right but its a testimony as to what is happening to them. Its happening to me also, but its effect on me is not as much as others. I still attribute myself as a guest in the area i hunt even though i own the land because i don't live there. for example, The NR lessor next to me thinks he can throw me off his property for accessing a portion of ours that the landowner has given us permission to use. So my general issue is fairly negative at this point..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hated and even disliked is a strong word. We have plenty of NR hunters that are regular members on this forum. From Fl, Texas, and Washington to name a few. Everyone's welcome. And we're going to have discussions that involve the topic of NR hunters. Some people will be heated, others the voice of reason. But don't judge a "forum" by the opinion of a person or a couple persons.

Just because people think NR licenses should be raised doesn't mean they hate them. Just means we think they should pay more to hunt a state that's not their own. I just dropped 165 for a license JUST to put in for a tag drawing. I might not even get a tag. But it still cost me 165. And the tag is like 600. Granted that for elk but say I want to get an over the counter deer tag. Well that's 500. I don't think the state or residents of Arizona hate me. They just want me to pay what they think is fair to play in their sandbox.

As for the killing of the deer. They aren't blamed for the decline in deer. But they do contribute. And they're not residents. As the deer population get lower you'll always see people want to remove outside forces. For example. If I have a huge bag of jelly beans an hand them out left and right to my nieces and nephews while I eat some too. As the bag gets closer to the bottom and I start running out I'm not going to give them as much anymore. I might even tell them they can't have anymore. I don hate or dislike them. It's just time to circle the wagons and stop handing out so many jelly beans. That's all you're seeing with the deer issue. Natural human behavior.

rsmith

I don't hate you, I have friends that hunt Ohio from PA and a friend that his parents and a couple of his dad's friends own about 750 acres in PA and they let me hunt with open arms. I feel like it is a basic assumption made by people that everyone in Ohio hates nonresident hunters which is very terrible people feel that way. There has been situations where a "out of stater" has leased out land right out of someone's feet which is wrong and can cause a uneasy feeling for them which is totally understandable. That is what most people have a problem with not people coming to hunt land and going door to door asking just like we do or hunting public spots. I can understand wanting a guarantee spot to which is completely justified but to "buy out" someone else's spot is just wrong unless it is justifiable. Just my .2c but just to throw it out I don't hate or dislike anyone from out of state for hunting or coming here at all, unless you have a Michigan emblem somewhere on you, GO OSU!! Hahah

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I challenge you to do this: next time you see a comment similar, go to the person's stats. Read their comments. I have recently noticed 2-3 users who have spoken strongly. I have noticed them posting in 1-2 threads. Namely the post season threads about numbers or proposed changes. I did not want to "out" them publicly. I did not see 50 posts contributed by them. I saw half a dozen or less from 2-3 people. Interestingly, I have noticed these people show up when similar threads come about, cry and spew shit, then return to their hole. You have been around here for awhile. I am thinking you have a decent read on most of the regulars here. There will always be a handful of guys who are Debbie Downers. Screw them.

My second thought: if someone says something you don't like, shoot them a PM and ask why or ask for clarification. If they are decent, I am guessing they will expand on it. You might not agree or you might find you were taking their comment too personally. Or they might just be a douchebag. Lol

Last option: use the ignore feature. I have used it. It has helped me. You cannot ignore a site owner though or admin. Trust me. It wouldn't let me block Jackalope lol

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Give them all the Black Jellybeans Joe. Yuck! As for the OP, I don't believe antbody here hates or dislikes a single man, moreso the idea of large numbers of NR's paying squat to hunt and leasing up land that used to be huntable to them. Ohio made is way too easy for people to come from anywhere, see what we had, then pony up and take someone else's piece of the pie without us even having a fighting chance.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Give them all the Black Jellybeans Joe. Yuck! As for the OP, I don't believe antbody here hates or dislikes a single man, moreso the idea of large numbers of NR's paying squat to hunt and leasing up land that used to be huntable to them. Ohio made is way too easy for people to come from anywhere, see what we had, then pony up and take someone else's piece of the pie without us even having a fighting chance.

Piss on that. The black ones are the best. Around Easter you can find bags of just the black ones. Last year I bought every one the dollar general had, something like 26 bags of them.

rsmith

Piss on that. The black ones are the best. Around Easter you can find bags of just the black ones. Last year I bought every one the dollar general had, something like 26 bags of them.

That'd terrible! I wish I would know we just throw out the black ones I can't stand the taste of them

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No wonder I don't get any black ones. I get every black one out of a bag my wife opens. I like them.

On the hate comment. I don't think anyone really hates anyone here on the forum. Like Phil I have seen some lookers only posting negative post but they are far and in between. And the great part of this forum is there is no editing.
I do believe that NR should pay to hunt Ohio on a even keel. NP should pay what their resident state charges a NR. I don't think a good deer hunting state should stick it to a NR on hunting fees.
Not much leasing around here that I know of. But did have a issue couple years ago when someone wanted to lease the neighbor 'friend' property I hunted on. But the owner said NO as I gave permission to couple friends. The guys wanting to lease was for their use only and no one else. The neighbor has since sold out due to health issues and the new owner allows no hunting as the wife enjoys feeding the wildlife.

I challenge you to do this: next time you see a comment similar, go to the person's stats. Read their comments. I have recently noticed 2-3 users who have spoken strongly. I have noticed them posting in 1-2 threads. Namely the post season threads about numbers or proposed changes. I did not want to "out" them publicly. I did not see 50 posts contributed by them. I saw half a dozen or less from 2-3 people. Interestingly, I have noticed these people show up when similar threads come about, cry and spew shit, then return to their hole. You have been around here for awhile. I am thinking you have a decent read on most of the regulars here. There will always be a handful of guys who are Debbie Downers. Screw them.

My second thought: if someone says something you don't like, shoot them a PM and ask why or ask for clarification. If they are decent, I am guessing they will expand on it. You might not agree or you might find you were taking their comment too personally. Or they might just be a douchebag. Lol

Last option: use the ignore feature. I have used it. It has helped me. You cannot ignore a site owner though or admin. Trust me. It wouldn't let me block Jackalope lol

Phil hit it on the head here. Sure there will always be some who look to push the blame on to others, in this case NR hunters. If they actually looked in the mirror they probably could place some blame on themselves for losing property, not noticing the decline in deer in their areas, etc.. When it comes to raising license fees I can certainly understand putting them in line with the state you are coming from. I could even see it a little higher because we all know the reason why some of us choose to leave our states to hunt Ohio. In some ways I am an odd NR in that I have bought into land down there for family reasons but at the same time I likely wouldn't have if I didn't know how much better things were for whitetails. Do I want to see rates get jacked up as high as Iowa or Illinois? Hell no, besides they have a 150 class buck behind every tree....Ohio only has one behind every 3rd tree......

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire

Dude, I don't know you very well at all but that's just plain weird. There's no way I could get through a whole bag of black jelly beans without barfing. Those things are nasty.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I get the black ones and the wife gets the yellow ones.....

I for one don't hate any of the NR hunters and I've been too a few outings for too as well and have yet too hear anything negative about any of our out of state hunters.... The only one I disliked was Mountaineer and that's just because he was an ass..... He would of still been an ass if he was an Oh resident..... :smiley_coolpeace: