Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spencie 2015 TC's

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Not a giant by Ohio standards but this is the biggest buck on cam by far on our WV property.

I buried an arrow 12 inches deep into this WV buck on October 2nd. It looked high shoulder. I found the broken back 2/3 of the arrow 40 yards away and felt I had a good shot given the angle. I gave the buck 3 hours and started tracking. After very little blood to track, a light drizzling rain and 500 yards I lost the blood trail. I then did a search of the hollow and came back a week later and did the same thing. Still nothing and nothing on camera. After not getting there for a month I checked the cam Saturday and there was 1 pic of him on November 7th. This is the side I hit...I can't find any entrance wound. The neighbor also had a few pics of him on the 16th. Amazingly tough critters.

I was using a G5-T3 mechanical....going back to fixed blades next year.

IMAG0190.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be darned! With that broadhead you would have thought he would have had a gaping hole. Wonder what happened. Maybe the neighbor's pictures will help you on seeing where you hit him? Only spot it looks like could be at the top of his shoulder/base of his neck? No man's land up there.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I buried an arrow 12 inches deep into this WV buck on October 2nd. It looked high shoulder. I found the broken back 2/3 of the arrow 40 yards away and felt I had a good shot given the angle. I gave the buck 3 hours and started tracking. After very little blood to track, a light drizzling rain and 500 yards I lost the blood trail. I then did a search of the hollow and came back a week later and did the same thing. Still nothing and nothing on camera. After not getting there for a month I checked the cam Saturday and there was 1 pic of him on November 7th. This is the side I hit...I can't find any entrance wound. The neighbor also had a few pics of him on the 16th. Amazingly tough critters.

I was using a G5-T3 mechanical....going back to fixed blades next year.

View attachment 38888

Yes they are very resilient animals Mike! I still can't wrap my head around how the deer Karissa hit on the 20th survived!!! We're still going to keep looking for him but he could quite possibly be still alive.

Hope you or your son eventually get another crack at that stud WV deer!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
A couple of pics of Spider...I have a stand at this location. I don't suggest jumping from a tree on November 2nd, it may cost you your only opportunity.
37.jpg
41.jpg

Splitty was there before daylight Monday morning.
18.jpg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I was able to hunt at least half a day every day last week but one. I didn't think sitting in the rain and walking on slippery ground would be good for my shoulder/neck/back before I am healed up. Spider walked down the driveway at the cabin at 1:30 on that day (the date and time are wrong and can't be changed). Figures

45.jpg
46.jpg

Last edited: