Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buckmaster's Outdoor Adventures 15-16

Buckmaster

Portage
Our afternoon outdoor adventure.....Me, Brendan (boy) and Jaden (pup). Earlier in the day I made a 8 foot blood trail followed by a 100 yard invisible liver deer drag in a U-shape format. I used my fishing rod coupled with a piece of deer liver. Both boys did not know the trail's direction; my intent. Jaden was the trailer, followed by Brendan, the lead. I watched from afar taking some video to report Jaden's progress back to his breeder. All went well. Both boys found their prize (small piece of liver) at the end of the loop trail.

Attachments

• Drag.jpg
    Drag.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 214

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Awesome thread Ben! I'm going to enjoy your outdoor pursuits as long as you take the time to post 'em!

Buckmaster

Portage
I've been super busy coaching baseball and softball. It's nice being involved with both of my kids and their peers.
Friday, my son was a little under the weather so he stayed home from school, thus I stayed home from work to be with him and prep my building site.
We watched turkey's throughout the day in out back woods so in the evening I put them to bed.

I awoke Saturday morning at 5:30, got dressed while drinking a cup of coffee, and exited the house at 6am. While standing in my driveway at 6am just like clockwork, a Gobble!
I made it to my hunting spot and began soft hen yelping and purring meanwhile the Gobbler was answering back from 250 yards away. After his fly down he went silent. I had figured he's coming my way....sure enough in the distance I see a black ball strutting my way. At 35 yards away he lets out 2 Gobbles and my Mossberg 835 answers back. The time was now 6:29.
20.4#, 7.5" beard, 1" spurs.

I tried to duplicate my Saturday adventure on Sunday morning but this time when the Gobbler left the roost he went the other direction, henned up I suppose.

We had 36 hour Lawry's Herb and Garlic marinated turkey breast on the BBQ grill Sunday night.

Attachments

• 2015 Turkey.jpg
    2015 Turkey.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Spurs.jpg
    Spurs.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 228

Buckmaster

Portage
One of my turnip/rape plots at 3 weeks old now. Things are going green and looking nice.

Attachments

• Turnips 2015.jpg
    Turnips 2015.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 191

Buckmaster

Portage
The neighbor girl across the road calls me early Sunday afternoon while I was painting my garage.

Says, "Hey, a black bear just left my yard, crossed the road, and is headed toward your house."

I said, "I've been awaiting one to show up given their popularity these days."

I never did see it but my resident squirrels in my woods certainly created a ruckus.

Maybe next time.