Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Drawing a line in the sand?

rsmith

The deer we are hunting will never be in my yard either. With that said, earlier in the season I wouldnt shoot from my parking spot. For a hunt of any kind to be enjoyed, to me, there has to be a certain amount of effort, suffering maybe, before the end. I want to work at it. Perhaps thats why a cornpile is ok in late season but not earlier... in 1993 my bride hunted the first day of bowseason with me. She killed a 142" net ten point I had been keeping tabs on. She had not been in the woods an hour. She found little joy in it and hasnt shot a deer since! Cake taste better if youve had to eat a little crap first.

Very interesting, I never looked at it like this before. Very spot on though! If I seent the deer in my backyard when I walked outside, I would deffinatly take a bunch of pictures, than I would try and put a stalk on it. I was presented a opportunity like this for the first time this year. Was out shooting with my girlfriends dad getting everything tuned in and he gets a call from his friend saying, "hey there is a "basket 8" about 45 yards from my back door, you know anyone who wants to fill a tag? The thing is acting real funny not running away when I got about 10 yards from it. Idk what's up with it it may be just tired from rutting or something." My girlfriends dad looks at me and goes do you want to fill your tag on a basket 8, I knew I had 3 shooters coming in in daylight that I wanted to chase so I said no thanks. We went and checked it out anyways and we got about 15 yards from this deer and it wasn't no "basket 8" by any means. It was a about 125' 8 and I was kind of upset because it was a really nice deer. It was bleeding though, either someone just shot the thing low because the shot was right under the heart/vitals or was poked by another buck or hit by a car. But when I was the buck was injured I wish I brought by bow because I felt terriable to see this deer suffer. But I was standin their thinking "would I have really killed this buck if he wasn't injured and I spot and stalked him"; my answer is yup if I put in the time to spot and stalk the thing no doubt in my mind would I have arrowed that deer.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm shooting. Deer have almost everything in their favor, What is in our favor, they don't play fair with. I'd shoot him in his yard, why not mine?

whodey1966

I guess I'm different than most on here, I had this happen to me last winter, I had a huge 10 point at my bird feeder 15 yards from my garage window. Did i think about it? Yep! But IMO, that's not hunting to me.

Jamie

Ohio
it's no wonder our deer numbers are in decline, what with everyone shooting deer out their back doors if they get the chance. :smiley_confused_sch

at1010

*Supporting Member*
it's no wonder our deer numbers are in decline, what with everyone shooting deer out their back doors if they get the chance. :smiley_confused_sch

this is a pointless response to a hypothetical situation. Most of us don't even have an opportunity to shoot a deer out our back door....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I get Jamie's logic. I respect it. Not having the ability to shoot anything but an arrow target deer in my yard makes it tough to give a fair opinion. In other words, IF I could shoot deer in my lawn. . . my opinion might change. We have low deer density in my area. It was low before the ODNR decimated the herd. We have small wood lots which are sparsely spread. If one of these such wood lots adjoins my lawn, this IS where I hunt. Off the porch? Eh. Maybe, but not feeling a great sense of satisfaction there but would do so.

The last portion of Jamie's input? I don't know. Is he teasing? Is he trying to make us think about things? Is he just stirring the pot? Or is this how he feels? I dunno. Don't know the guy like some of the others on here seem to know him. If it was a legitimate opinion on why the herd is low, I cannot agree with this.

Jamie

Ohio
LOL, dang, you boys need to lighten up. I'm teasing. and hoping to make somebody think that through. maybe stirring the pot a bit. astute observations, Hickslawn. :)

the number of responses that are "hell yea, I'd shoot the deer" is very surprising to me. perhaps my general view of sportsmen is deluded. perhaps the gap between "old school" and new age hunting ethics is widening. I don't really know, but I know I wouldn't shoot an antlered fucking deer off my porch with an arrow just because it was standing there and I wanted to kill it to reach my goal or satisfy my ego or why ever the hell anyone would do such a thing. I realize that saying you'd do it and actually doing it is not quite the same, but I find the entire notion, despite being hypothetical, to wreak of poor sportsmanship. in a lot of circumstances, the unwritten rules are more important than legality.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
You tell us to lighten up but then proceed to tell us it's not sporting? Why does driving an hour away from my home and walking 100 yards to my stand differ from my back yard? I hunt to get meat and that is my goal. That being said I respect you and your opinion.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LOL, like this scenario would actually happen!:smiley_bril:

Pretty interesting question! It happened to me and I decided if fate gave me a opportunity and I have a good shot at this deer I'd take it! Just because he's outside your window,standing next to your target,walking past your stand or any other encounter you feel to list doesn't mean he'd be hanging on your meat pole if you "decide" to try and kill him. Way too many factors and other mishaps can happen to prevent it,IMO. If he's tied to a tree then that's not fair chase! If he can still bust out or flee due to noise or being winded or seen then what's the difference?!?

Do I feel as proud of this deer as I do with the other ones? Prolly not as much but I still had to strategize and make the shot but above all he provided me a great memory.

Btw, my house/porch provided cover just as a blind does and an advantage just like a tree stand does,IMO. We can debate topics like this from now to doomsday but it's just up to the individual and there's no right or wrong answer.

This is just my opinion. As long as it was legal under ALL circumstances!!! Not at night with a spotlight or any outside light! If it's a legit situation and nothing teeters this into a non fair chase situation then I'm shooting if this buck trips my trigger.

themedic

OHIO
This thread was not intended to get panties in a bunch. I was simply trying to goat someone into saying that through the course of the season, someone's tactics and preferences of how they shoot a target buck can change. But I agree with Jamie. I do not think I would shoot a deer off my porch but I guess I would never really know until I got put in that situation. I personally hunt for the satisfaction of harvesting a deer I was after, or at least a mature, educated deer under fair chase conditions. Shooting one off the porch wouldn't be much satisfaction.

Jamie

Ohio
Why does driving an hour away from my home and walking 100 yards to my stand differ from my back yard? I hunt to get meat and that is my goal. QUOTE]

is it really hunting if you are standing on your porch? this thread ain't about makin' meat, Mike. it's about killing the big buck you've been after for two years. surely we can all distinguish between the two? any buck I've been after for two years deserves better than being shot off the porch. still, it's just my opinion. I rather like it that it's unpopular. :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just because a mature 5.5 year old or older buck walks into your yard doesn't mean he forgot all he's learned about survival and that humans want to kill him!
The buck I kilt was nudging does on November 21st in the woods behind my house. There were 8 does and he was going from one to another lip curling then off to the next. It was a buck I had not seen before and he had a 21" inside spread and long heavy beams that were 27&28" long and grossed 160 as a 8 point. He was fully mature but just got a little to stupid like most bucks do during the rut!
What's the difference between behind my house or in ANY hunting circumstance or situation? I know a avid bowhunter who went gun hunting around Circleville way back in the early 80's. He walked across the field to his tree stand in wood lot a good distance away. He heard shots across the road from which he came just before reaching the edge of the woods. After he entered the woods a mere 10 yards or so he heard something behind him from which he came and saw this huge 160 plus buck running towards him then stop just 10-20 yards away right out in the open looking at him. He pulled up his gun, aimed,gun went bang, deer fell dead,his hunt over! Just because he was in a hunting situation and was blessed by fate he's to not shoot or if he does he should feel guilty because in some folks minds it wasn't earned?!?

Like I said earlier, as long as it's legal then its up to the individual as to what he wants to do.

To those that think shooting a deer in the backyard is not up to your sporting ethics, lets nitpick a little. Is climbing 30 foot in a tree to watch your "target buck" come to your corn pile in January any less sporting, I think not, but its legal so it is OK right. Shooting a deer in your backyard is just as legal, but unsporting in your opinion. If being "sporting" is so important, why use the latest, greatest, fastest bow on the market, a scent smoker, scent lock clothing and all the other things that may give the hunter an edge.

We all have opinions of what constitutes fair chase. How about a guy in a wheelchair, would him shooting a deer in the backyard constitute him being a lowlife sportsman, not in my book. Setting up in a tight funnel during the rut gives a hunter an advantage, but is it unsportsmanlike, if so we are all guilty. Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.

themedic

OHIO
To those that think shooting a deer in the backyard is not up to your sporting ethics, lets nitpick a little. Is climbing 30 foot in a tree to watch your "target buck" come to your corn pile in January any less sporting, I think not, but its legal so it is OK right. Shooting a deer in your backyard is just as legal, but unsporting in your opinion. If being "sporting" is so important, why use the latest, greatest, fastest bow on the market, a scent smoker, scent lock clothing and all the other things that may give the hunter an edge.

We all have opinions of what constitutes fair chase. How about a guy in a wheelchair, would him shooting a deer in the backyard constitute him being a lowlife sportsman, not in my book. Setting up in a tight funnel during the rut gives a hunter an advantage, but is it unsportsmanlike, if so we are all guilty. Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.

That's what this entire post is about....where each and every hunter draws a line. I respect everyone opinion and do not judge...to each their own.

Jamie

Ohio
If being "sporting" is so important, why use the latest, greatest, fastest bow on the market, a scent smoker, scent lock clothing and all the other things that may give the hunter an edge.

that, sir, is a great question!!! I've been asking the very same one for over 25 years, and for some reason people always get really pissy about giving an answer. run for cover Hortototer, they love to gang tackle around here. rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao