Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stand check?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
When we first got our hunting place we put up a bunch of stands as quick as we could. Some have gone to shit, others are still nice but need some TLC.

Honestly do you all adjust your straps every year, replace them, etc?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
This is something that is going to happen this year. I have some of my straps on my climbing sticks that are due for changing. And I have one stand that might get retired. Depends on what it cost to repair it compared to the price of a new equivilant.

Huckleberry Finn

Rotating basis. I always like an extra step on a stand. And then a couple rustoleum rattle cans

I meant to say extra strap.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't like to leave stands in the woods, as I'm paranoid as hell about cables or straps breaking. I would recommend replacing straps of any kind every three years or sooner, and cables about the same. I've got the Millennium setup, so I leave sticks and chain receivers in the woods and carry my stand home unless I'm planning on hunting that spot again the following day. Even so, I still replace my cables every three years. It just isn't worth risking your life for $20.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I take all mine down. I don't leave them up year round. I don't like them getting the extra weathering. So the first semi nice day il be out taking them down. If the straps look worn I replace them. A visually test

Jamie

Ohio
I take mine down as soon as we get some decent weather this time of year, but I'll leave screw in steps in a tree for a couple of years before moving them. leaving stands up all the time does shorten their life. nylon webbing breaks down from exposure, rust, squirrels chewing on seats and straps.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks all! I always check my stands, and I also always use extra straps. I have found that most of my stands look great still, but the trees are growing, and this year I need to make some adjustments. I think I am going to release them all or just take them down and move them.

I do spend a little extra money on Lifelines for all my trees (prussic knot deal). This seems to give myself a little more security when claiming into a set that hasn't been hunting in a awhile.

Buckmaster

Portage
I run about 20 ladder stands. We break them loose every fall in prep for the season. About every 3 years they get replaced.
Each year I rotate 3-4 new stands into the mix and retire a few in yard sales.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I run about 20 ladder stands. We break them loose every fall in prep for the season. About every 3 years they get replaced.
Each year I rotate 3-4 new stands into the mix and retire a few in yard sales.

let me know when the next yard sale is! hahah I don't worry much about ladder stands, but hanging scare me.

should I be more worried about these? I just check straps, loosen tighten, and then Im done on those ones.

side note: what ladder stands you buying currently?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I take mine down about this time every year and check them before putting back up too.

with me living in TX especially I just don't have the time to do this. i really need to make a better effort, y'all are making me realize how lazy I have been in the past! .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
at a minimum, I loosen the straps this time of the year and secure them again mid summer.

themedic

OHIO
This is something I struggle with. I would love to go take them all down but not sure putting all my stands in my barn or garage would be any better because the mice would chew them there as well. So I let them hang all year and adjust them loose while I shed and turkey hunt. Then re-secure them in the fall when I brush out my entry trails.

Urbanhunter

We just pulled all of out stands yesterday. I fix and replace when needed but I have to admit. I rarely have to do very much. I maybe replace a few bolt's every now and again. I have an old enclosed trailer that I keep all my Duck and deer hunting stuff in. I did leave 3 ladder stands out. One I have had in a tree for 13 years still in good shape. The strap is old but the cable lock is has become the strap. LOL I am going to take it down this year and check it out. The other 2 were put up last year.

I do have to say, It is crazy how many stands I have accumulated over the years.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I usually retire old stands and implement new ones enough I don't worry about it. This year I will be pulling every last stand/stick I have in the woods out. With the exception of the 2 Muddy stands I bought off Milos and 2 ladder stands, I am doing away with hang ons. Every thing will be sticks and brackets for Millenniums. I'll ride in style or not at all hence forth!