Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Been doing a little canning this summer! 22 pints of pickles, 15 pints and 3 quarts hot pepper mustard, 6 pints pickled peppers, 11 pints and 8 quarts salsa. I've given some stuff away too. Feels good going downstairs and grabbing something I used to buy at the store and knowing where it came from, and that it tastes better than store bought.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The pickles, mustard and salsa were excellent.
Thanks dude!

Last night I made habanero raspberry jam using peppers I grew and wild black raspberries we picked from the farm. I've never been pepper sprayed, but cutting up 18 habaneros and practically juicing them in the food processor will gag a maggot and make a grown man cry! Thankfully it was worth the effort. I ate some on boneless wings tonight and it was killer! It'll make an great meat ball and I'm going to marinade a backstrap in it for Strouds.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Been doing a little canning this summer! 22 pints of pickles, 15 pints and 3 quarts hot pepper mustard, 6 pints pickled peppers, 11 pints and 8 quarts salsa. I've given some stuff away too. Feels good going downstairs and grabbing something I used to buy at the store and knowing where it came from, and that it tastes better than store bought.

Awesome stuff Jesse. Reaping your rewards and the fruits of your labor are always great!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Are you guys with chickens heating your coops in the winter?

I'm getting ready to get chickens for the first time ever and have a couple places for an enclosure, but if I'm going to heat the coop in the winter, I should reconsider where I build it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Are you guys with chickens heating your coops in the winter?

I'm getting ready to get chickens for the first time ever and have a couple places for an enclosure, but if I'm going to heat the coop in the winter, I should reconsider where I build it.
You don't have to heat the enclosure, as long as you can close it up if need be.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I plan on making it big enough I could shut them in during periods of extreme cold. Only going to get 6-8 chickens, so my coop will be 24-32 square feet.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I plan on making it big enough I could shut them in during periods of extreme cold. Only going to get 6-8 chickens, so my coop will be 24-32 square feet.
Mom never ran any heat for the 12 they had, but dad has one heat lamp in their coop big enough for two dozen birds. Mom's coop is probably 24 Sq ft, and dad's is closer to 48 Sq ft.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We had a heat lamp initially. Then they got bigger and they were moved. They were doing well in the winter without a lamp but I had them sheltered from the wind pretty good. Then Hank killed all but one of them so we gave her to a friend. :smiley_crocodile:

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
We have 6 in a 4x4 coop. Heat would keep you from having to get water every time it freezes though. Wife was taking water out a couple times a day when it was real cold.