Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Minerals

nchunter02

I'm going to make my first trip to Ohio for the 2015 season in a few weeks I would like to know which mineral you guys like on your hunting ground. I know some like T/R some people like the bag mineral from Tractor Supply, and some like to make your own. I was just wondering which one, each of you like best and what time of year you start putting them out? Thanks Alan

I am a fan of the TR and the mineral block (50 lb. reddish colored one) that Tractor Supply sells. I break the TS block into 5-7 chunks and put out one chunk at a time with TR. I leave the TR complete when setting them out. I keep these out all year round. IMO the deer use them mostly from about mid March through mid September here in Ohio. The TR is a great tool to use a camera over for seeing the deer that use your area. I only own 10 acres and run one mineral site on it.

The mineral site is not something to hunt over IMO. But if you leave the site in the same place for years deer will get used to using the trail to go to and from it. I made my site in a very good funnel on my property. I feel this keeps the deer traveling through this funnel year round.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Iam a huge salt fan. I try to keep a white salt block in my mineral site at all times. I like to use TR as well. Keep a trail camera on your site and you can see antler developement through out the season.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Straight up white salt block. They love the white ones more than the brown ones by a landslide.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've never tried a white block. May have to do some experimenting.

Done it. I put out a brown one years ago and wasn't getting as many pics as the year before. Talking to JD I told him I put a brown one out, he told me they like the white ones better. Made sense as the year before there was a white one and I got far more pics. So I went and got a white one and put it beside the brown one. Deer pictures increased and i would say they preferred the white one 90% over the brown one. The reality is deer really only want the salt. That's the only real attractant. The minerals we give them we kinda slip in there and make them consume it as they go for the salt. Kind of like if you need salt but some government asshole mandated it be iodized so you don't get a goiter. We just want the salt, by proxy they're making us take iodine.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Done it. I put out a brown one years ago and wasn't getting as many pics as the year before. Talking to JD I told him I put a brown one out, he told me they like the white ones better. Made sense as the year before there was a white one and I got far more pics. So I went and got a white one and put it beside the brown one. Deer pictures increased and i would say they preferred the white one 90% over the brown one. The reality is deer really only want the salt. That's the only real attractant. The minerals we give them we kinda slip in there and make them consume it as they go for the salt. Kind of like if you need salt but some government asshole mandated it be iodized so you don't get a goiter. We just want the salt, by proxy they're making us take iodine.
Not if you buy kosher or sea salt........