Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hang-on stands and ladders

BowCrazed

I found these steps on internet the other day and thought they were pretty awesome. http://steppups.com/ Has anyone used them before? Also, does anyone have a Hawk Helium XL hang-on stand? I found it on Cabelas (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Treestands/Hang-On-Treestands%7C/pc/104791680/c/104783580/sc/104374080/Hawk-Heliumtrade-XL-Hang-On-Treestand/1843075.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhang-on-treestands%2F_%2FN-1100102%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104374080%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104791680%253Bcat104783580&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104783580%3Bcat104374080) and I really like the price. They have a larger platform than Lone Wolf, XOP, and Leverage hang-on stands but are still lightweight at 12lbs. One last question for now, has anyone used the Twisted Timber Dominator stand? https://twistedtimbertreestands.com/dominator-stand/ I am looking to start buying some stands here before too long and am trying to find a lightweight, affordable hang-on if it exists. :smiley_bril: Thanks in advance for the input guys.

rsmith

Sorry, no help here either; I have never used any of them. I don't think my feet would fit on that platform for those steps TOO well, they just seem a little small for my liking. Both those stands look like nice stands but if I was you I would much rather purchase 2 Hawk Helium Xl's before I would spend $269.00 on a single stand, just my opinion.

BowCrazed

Yeah the steps seem small and I am concerned over how safe they would be when wet because of their size. They do seem to be rather quick and easy to put up though which would be great for mobile setups. The twisted timber stands ability to be hung on crooked trees is nice but that is a lot for one stand. I will try to check out a Cabela's store and see if they have the Hawk Helium on the floor so I can check it out. Thanks guys!

rsmith

Yeah the steps seem small and I am concerned over how safe they would be when wet because of their size. They do seem to be rather quick and easy to put up though which would be great for mobile setups. The twisted timber stands ability to be hung on crooked trees is nice but that is a lot for one stand. I will try to check out a Cabela's store and see if they have the Hawk Helium on the floor so I can check it out. Thanks guys!
That was my major concerns were how would they do when wet or even have snow/ice on them. I didn't even notice the twisted timer stand can be hung on a crooked tree that's a very unique feature but not for $269.99, that's a little too much for comfort for me. But either way good luck with your hunt, check out archery talk for some used ones

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Saw the steps on AT. I'm sure they work, but I'm just not a fan. Easier than scree in steps, and probably lighter than the same height equivalent of climbing sticks, but seems like more work as well. Just my opinion

As far as stands, how often do you find a tree that is so messed up that you can't get a stand in it? IMO, the twisted timer stand is unnecessary. It's not gonna be comfortable sitting in a treestand with no tree to your back.

I am very impressed by Hawk's hunting products, as I own several accessories. I would consider their climbing sticks if I was in the market for a new set. Stands look very well made as well. Only downfall to them is I don't believe they offer a stand with leveling capabilities. For 2015, they do have a stand that uses a receiver similar to the Millennium receivers, which is a very convenient option if you want multiple setups using one stand.

If you are looking for something with adjustability for crooked trees and is fairly simple to hang with minor modifications, I would seriously consider the Muddy Line of treestands. Heck, they even offer a reciever option now for their treestands as well, which makes hanging a breeze.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I was going to try hawk stands this year also but it's been pretty hard to get away for in my millenium m25's.. Too comfy and affordable

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Only Millennium treestands for me.Gotta be comfortable if i sit all day.

Yep, I bought my first millennium over the summer and hunted out of it this year. The m25 is super comfy and right around $100. As far as those steps, ain't no way I'd climb 20' up using something that's tied to the tree.