Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How is the hunting near Lima/Findlay, Ohio (Allen, Hancock County)

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Some current local guys will report in. I'm from the area but now live in SW Ohio.
It's all open farm land up there. Rivers are good timbered areas if you can get permission.
Good luck and welcome back.

I applied for a job near Findlay and would mind inquiring how the hunting is out that way? More exclusively deer hunting but as well turkey and small game. I currently reside in NE Ohio.

Hi bandit, I live in Allen co and know the area well. There is good hunting in Allen and Hancock counties but getting permission for good property is going to be a challenge. I'm fortunate to have good property of my own, my son and I have harvested some dandies over the years. My best bit of advise would be to knock on doors. Hickslawns and yotehunter are from the area and have killed some studs too, best of luck.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
As lumberhead said there are good pockets here and there. But permission is tough. If you do get permission chances are so does everybody else and it is worse then public hunting. I believe there is some public bow hunting west or north west of town if I'm not mistaking. River bottoms can produce big time if you can find one. Lots of farm ground with dots of wood lots. Big open sections with deep ditches can hold deer also in these parts. Its defiantly different then hill country. Knock on doors and be persistent you can find huntable ground but it may not be much. Here again it doesn't take alot, just the right place at the right time. Good luck to you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I concur with these thoughts. Sometimes the permission is there, but it is for all who ask. Often the land is split up many different ways. What started as a 50acre parcel may now be 20acres connected to someone who doesn't allow hunting with the remaining 30acres split between 4-6 different owners. Lots of split up woods. Makes it tough. If you find some nice ground, it probably won't happen over night.

I am close to Auglaize county on the southern edge of Allen. Redhunter might chime in. He lives up there closer.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
As everyone else said, knock on doors. I've lived here 10 years and have more permission than most of my buddy's, mainly cuz I ask around. There are good numbers of deer around here, mostly because most of the locals don't shoot does, or very few of us do. Small game sucks, except squirrels. You can get a limit of squirrels any day, any woodlot you want. Turkeys are sparse. Only a few pockets of them around and the places they are at are basically spoken for.

Flathead76

Athens
Hancock county has woods but they are small and spread out. I believe the scout camp off 68 is one of the biggest woodlots at 308 acres. That should give you a good idea. Deer bounce from woodlot to woodlot. When the crops come off deer head to the bigger sections of woods. Then gun season smaller sections tend to get sparce with deer. The scout camp will hold pushing 300-400 deer by seasons end. No lie.

PA Bandit,
Since this is the beginning of a new year, I suggest knocking on doors to get permission to hunt coyote and/or groundhogs. Frequent these places, make yourself known as a varmint killing machine and you'll win over the landowner...and often his neighbors too. Often the word of a good varmint hunter gets out to the surrounding areas and it can open other doors as well.

When you're talking to these landowners, make it very clear that you want to be "out of sight and out of mind". Meaning: You don't want to be a bother to the landowners' operations of farming, by blocking gates or other areas of access.

* Ask where you can park your vehicle, so as not to be a bother to the goings on of their activities.
* Mention that you'd rather walk in to an area, so as not to spook the game. This lets them know you're not going to be driving back the lanes, rutting it up and knocking things down.
* If it looks like you're about to be given permission, let him know that you'll keep him informed of others on the property. This shows responsibility for your actions and his property.
* Ask where the property lines end and begin, so you're not on property that you don't have permission. Again, this shows that you're wanting to abide by the "rules" and you're showing respect.

Quite often this method will get you in the door of some good deer hunting property. If it doesn't, perhaps it will get you in the door of some good varmint hunting property for the neighbors' deer hunting property. This has worked for me, for decades.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

You would be suprised how many deer you can kill hunting thin tree lines whlle the corn in up. I have seen lots on deer hunting thin tree lines that connect to woods, WHEN THE CORN IS UP. If you cant get permission for the woods, permission for a tree line to the woods can be just a effective.