Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Minerals and deer- helpful or not

at1010

*Supporting Member*
this is like the debate baiting vs. not baiting.......

I like using minerals and believe it helps. However, there are folks who will argue to their grave that they have 0 proof they help grow deer in the wild. Very hard to say what effects deer in the wild. So many variables, but I like putting out minerals, and won't stop anytime soon!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea putting out minerals IMO is a good thing and help deer maintain healthy weight and supports antler growth. I have deer tracts by my 2 mineral sites all year round. I mix my own. Havnt had much luck with the store bought kind

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yea putting out minerals IMO is a good thing and help deer maintain healthy weight and supports antler growth. I have deer tracts by my 2 mineral sites all year round. I mix my own. Havnt had much luck with the store bought kind

I agree, I have used LuckyBuck- stuff works to attract them. Trophy Rocks work to attract them. DeerCane- blows, Heartlands stuff works good. I simply put on some mineral, and put some regular table salt over top of it. Seems to draw in the deer, and I have some areas where the deer have dug 2-4feet circles.

I can't say for sure, but I know that since I started using Trophy Rocks at my place I've had better bucks. Is it helping them grow better antlers, or are the bucks just living longer in my area. I'll probably never know one way or the other, but a TR is always present on my property.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've done a ton of research on minerals and have formed my own opinion, one I feel is very informed. My opinion is that minerals help does and herd health more than antler growth. There is a ton of research on cattle that outlines the positive impacts of mineral supplementation. The research on whitetails is less substantial. However they are both ruminants and have similar digestive processes, so it is reasonable to assume certain comparisons are safe to make. Minerals supplementation has been proven to improve protein retention in the milk of dairy cattle. Milk richer in protein makes for healthier calves and healthier calves can grow bigger, stronger, faster. My experience in 9 years of mineral supplementation on our farm is that fawn weight (as estimated from pictures) has increased. I truly believe our does are healthier because they have access to minerals (much like we are when we have a proper diet) and in turn, they produce healthier fawns.

As for buck and big racks, I do not believe minerals will take a 140 to a 160. For a buck to grow his biggest rack he needs genetics, age and nutrition in that order. Mineral supplementation can very well add a few inches of antler over the life of a buck, but it will not make a genetically inferior or unhealthy deer grow a much larger rack. By filling the gap in his diet, minerals can help him maintain a healthy diet and over the course of his life, it will help him maximize skeletal development which ultimately helps him focus on growing his best rack. A buck born to a healthy doe who has milk richer in protein thanks to minerals, gets the full benefit of mineral supplementation from birth to death.

Minerals are no wonder substance, but are often marketed as such. Nor are they worthless. Be realistic about their place in the scheme of things and you won't be disappointed.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I've done a ton of research on minerals and have formed my own opinion, one I feel is very informed. My opinion is that minerals help does and herd health more than antler growth. There is a ton of research on cattle that outlines the positive impacts of mineral supplementation. The research on whitetails is less substantial. However they are both ruminants and have similar digestive processes, so it is reasonable to assume certain comparisons are safe to make. Minerals supplementation has been proven to improve protein retention in the milk of dairy cattle. Milk richer in protein makes for healthier calves and healthier calves can grow bigger, stronger, faster. My experience in 9 years of mineral supplementation on our farm is that fawn weight (as estimated from pictures) has increased. I truly believe our does are healthier because they have access to minerals (much like we are when we have a proper diet) and in turn, they produce healthier fawns.

As for buck and big racks, I do not believe minerals will take a 140 to a 160. For a buck to grow his biggest rack he needs genetics, age and nutrition in that order. Mineral supplementation can very well add a few inches of antler over the life of a buck, but it will not make a genetically inferior or unhealthy deer grow a much larger rack. By filling the gap in his diet, minerals can help him maintain a healthy diet and over the course of his life, it will help him maximize skeletal development which ultimately helps him focus on growing his best rack. A buck born to a healthy doe who has milk richer in protein thanks to minerals, gets the full benefit of mineral supplementation from birth to death.

Minerals are no wonder substance, but are often marketed as such. Nor are they worthless. Be realistic about their place in the scheme of things and you won't be disappointed.

Excellent post!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I knew there would be some good postings when I posted the article. I'm with Jesse as it'll help the general health but not grow big racks out of the hot air.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Jesse just hit the nail on the head! Exactly what I wanted to say, but said it clearer and more definitive!

great post bud!

Urbanhunter

There are numerous study's done by university's none show proof of benefits from mineral's.. Studies show that there is not an improvement in size of antlers or body weight.. They just crave salt in the spring..

Last edited:
JMHO but deer farms wouldn't supply minerals to their deer if they didn't work. Same goes for cattle and other similar livestock. The one thing we are lacking with wild animals is a reliable delivery method to get it into their system to the point where they get the results we are after.

Urbanhunter

No.. I use a salt block that I brake into 2 to 4 pieces, each go to a lick site. Then I top ever 3 weeks with lucky buck. Someone else stated that they are starting to paw at the ground at their sites... They are starting at my sites also, so I just refreshed them.

The mineral lick's are helpful if they are lacking those minerals naturally but that is rare. Live stock is secluded to a fenced in area which has been grazed on for years unlike deer which are free range browsers. I can see the need for supplements in cattle.

Last edited: