Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Deer meetings

Milo

Tatonka guide.
There is enough in that article to make someone throw up in their mouth.. So I guess I missed the memo..if you kill a big buck you must enter it into the OBBC or they can't do their job... Gawd I have heard it all.... the OBBC would have more entries if all them fuggsticks would kill deer legally. Do they accept beaver entries?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe the entries into OBB being down have nothing to do with the herd? I am with Milo. Plenty of nonsense in that article. Even more nonsense in the replies.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I hunt just outside of Freeport as we own some land there. That guy either has a huge tract or is flossing with Tonks pubes.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I am sorry but anyone who has stated that their management plan for a species is to hunt their numbers down until people STOP participating and at that point the herd is small enough is a fugging moron. That is not a sustainable management plan, that is an extinction plan.

We still have a few deer on our property but the public nearby is bad. Areas we used to walk/drive and see (not necessarily shoot) 5-20+ deer per day can now be walked and while you see sign we didn't see a single deer in three days

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I need to talk with this Denny Malloy from Whitetails Unlimited. We've been very active on this topic since 2009 and I think i can bring him up to speed from a historical and data perspective very quickly. If anyone has some contact information or knows him please shoot me a PM. The bad news is the damage is largely already done. I've said for years the DNR will accomplish their goal. My ambition has always been that people know who to blame when they finally wake up and call for a head to roll.

The good news is it seems a lot of people are waking up. Now we just need to figure out how to bring a unified voice and a lot of heat to Tonks bosses desk.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This crap is what showed up in our local paper:

AKRON – Ohio hunters say they're frustrated by a drop in the number of deer being bagged this hunting season.

About 90 people in northeast Ohio took their complaints to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources over the weekend at one of five deer hunting summits held around the state, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

State estimates say Ohio hunters will bag about 180,000 deer during the 2014-2015 season. That's nearly 11,500 fewer deer than last year's season.

Hunters at the meeting said they haven't been able to kill deer because they aren't seeing any to shoot.

Taxidermist Fritz Birkheimer said he usually handles more than 150 deer each season, but expects he will handle less than 100 dear this year.

Ohio's deer herd is about 700,000, up about 300,000 from a decade ago. But a number of the population is in urban areas where hunting is not permitted.

The number of deer killed by hunters has gone down under the state's deer management plans, the newspaper reports.

The overall condition of Ohio's deer herd is suffering from population increases and loss of habitat, said state biologist Mike Tonkovich.

Pathetic....Nothing but pathetic!
If there is 700,000 and there is a loss of habitat....There would seem to be MORE deer not less.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
This crap is what showed up in our local paper:

AKRON – Ohio hunters say they're frustrated by a drop in the number of deer being bagged this hunting season.

About 90 people in northeast Ohio took their complaints to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources over the weekend at one of five deer hunting summits held around the state, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.

State estimates say Ohio hunters will bag about 180,000 deer during the 2014-2015 season. That's nearly 11,500 fewer deer than last year's season.

Hunters at the meeting said they haven't been able to kill deer because they aren't seeing any to shoot.

Taxidermist Fritz Birkheimer said he usually handles more than 150 deer each season, but expects he will handle less than 100 dear this year.

Ohio's deer herd is about 700,000, up about 300,000 from a decade ago. But a number of the population is in urban areas where hunting is not permitted.

The number of deer killed by hunters has gone down under the state's deer management plans, the newspaper reports.

The overall condition of Ohio's deer herd is suffering from population increases and loss of habitat, said state biologist Mike Tonkovich.

Pathetic....Nothing but pathetic!
If there is 700,000 and there is a loss of habitat....There would seem to be MORE deer not less.
Seems there are some lies being spread ...I specifically know we ah e been told those urban numbers were not in the deer herd count..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I hunt in Tuscarawas county, and I keep being told I am hunting one of the best counties in Ohio. Then I would like to know out of 14 sits, 5 of them being during the prime rut, I did not have one deer pass by me. Regardless of corn being up. I hunted field edges, funnels, ridges, etc. and did not see one deer this year.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
How many deer were killed in Tuscarawas county this year? That county is almost always one of the top producers in the state every single year.....where did they all go?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Bet Tonk would like this.lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422488698501.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422488698501.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 108

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How many deer were killed in Tuscarawas county this year? That county is almost always one of the top producers in the state every single year.....where did they all go?

Antlerless

2014 - 2015 -22%
2013 - 2014 -16%
2012 - 2013 -1.5%

2011 = 4483
2014 = 3008

38% decline in three seasons.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He and I have been having this talk for a long time. I was at his farm in 2008 or so, running around with him looking at trails, stands, goofing off. I told him our area had been hit with ehd, hard, and our DOW would not face the facts. He said he had found 7 on his farm that year, and it's only about 200 acres! As far as I know, he has allowed the neighbor boy to shoot 2 does on his farm, and there hasn't been another doe shot off it that I know of. His place is crawling with deer now while the neighboring public land is pretty sparse. If you want deer, don't shoot does, at least not many...And tell your neighbors to do the same!