Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

shotgun scope

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
After missing a 120 yard shot this year I have decided its time to power up my shotgun scope. The one I have now is a bushnell that's been on the gun for years. When I bought it. It said it was a turkey scope. Its the 1.5-4.5-32, Has the circle x rettical. I love the scope for shorter distances but my eyes are going away and its hard to see thru the circle x at long distances. There are a lot of places to make long shots at our property.
I'm looking at the Leupold Vx-1 scopes. I was thinking maybe a 2-7-33 with heavy duplex or the 3-9-40, Just wondering if ill have to get a taller mount to make the 3-9 fit. Cabelas has the 3-9 on sale for $199.99 and I have a $20.00 off coupon.
Looking for advice on any issues I may face with mounting it.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Leupold makes the best scopes in the world and that's saying a lot. Plus they have a no question life time warranty. Others may disagree.
Burris comes a strong 2nd. These are the only 2 scope makes I buy on purpose and all other scope comes in deals I've made.
I'd go with the 2x7-33 as the 3x9-40 is more scope than a shotgun can use. Plus the 40MM scope will probably need high rings to clear the barrel.
IMHO. But no 2 people think alike. LOL

After missing a 120 yard shot this year I have decided its time to power up my shotgun scope. The one I have now is a bushnell that's been on the gun for years. When I bought it. It said it was a turkey scope. Its the 1.5-4.5-32, Has the circle x rettical. I love the scope for shorter distances but my eyes are going away and its hard to see thru the circle x at long distances. There are a lot of places to make long shots at our property.
I'm looking at the Leupold Vx-1 scopes. I was thinking maybe a 2-7-33 with heavy duplex or the 3-9-40, Just wondering if ill have to get a taller mount to make the 3-9 fit. Cabelas has the 3-9 on sale for $199.99 and I have a $20.00 off coupon.
Looking for advice on any issues I may face with mounting it.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A good tip when buying used scopes. Take the scope and turn it around and look a light from the front end and you can inspect the entire inside of the scope for problems. And NO the light will not harm your eyes.
Saves a lot of bad buys.

Plus if thinking of buying used Leupold scopes there is a lot of fakes coming from China. The fakes are showing up at the gunshows by guys who got ripped off and they either don't know or they want to unload it.http://www.leupold.com/resources/counterfeit-warning/

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
My Ithaca has a 3x9x40 mounted with standard rings. No need for high/see through rings. Scope is a Bushnell elite 3200 firefly. I've had this set up for years and wouldn't change a thing. Rainguard coating is awesome feature. I would go for the 3x9 if you are hunting more open areas. This harvest was a poke and a half and would not have been possible with a lower powered scope.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Can't go wrong with Leopold. I like 3x9 scopes for Ohio and would go that route. I had to go with high mounts on my CVA to get my 3x9 Bushnell to fit. Not sure how the Leopold and your gun would match up. May be able to do some research and find some stuff online from guys with the same set up.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I like the 2X7X33 objective.... I have one on my Savage 220 slug gun.... I've read over the years that the 33 objective weathers the recoil of the shotgun better then the 40 objective.... Don't know if that's still true of today's scopes or if it was with older designs....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why/how the objective size would have an effect on it's tolerance of recoil. Any ideas on why that would be?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm guessing a thinner reticle on the 40 objective????

I've talked too people who have blown the crosshairs outta scopes not made too handle a shotgun recoil....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got a 2-7x33 Nikon ProStaff on my Savage 220 and I really like it. I've got a cheapy 3-9x40 on my muzzleloader and it suits me just fine, too. I like Leupold scopes but if I were you I would check into Vortex optics also. Lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would say cheaper scopes are the problem. The higher end scope companies won't take a chance and put a future problem out there to hurt their reputation. IMHO

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know why/how the objective size would have an effect on it's tolerance of recoil. Any ideas on why that would be?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have had Bushnell binoculars once and one Bushnell scope. Both had issues.

Scopes which have served me well: Leupold, Nikon, and one Weaver. The Weaver was a closeout high end scope. Weaver was bought. This line was closed out when they were bought. $900-1000 scope I got for $289. Not sure how their lower end scopes would perform.

One thought is Natchez Shooters supply. I have called into their customer service several times when shopping. Their staff was always extremely knowledgeable and really helped guide me in the right direction. They really impressed me.

I have heard good things about Vortex as well. Just bought a pair of binoculars I look forward to trying out. Never used one of their scopes.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I would say cheaper scopes are the problem. The higher end scope companies won't take a chance and put a future problem out there to hurt their reputation. IMHO

I agree and my thinking is that the 33mm objective was the option on the lower quality "value" line of some optic manufacturers whereas the 40mm objective was the higher quality (and price point) line. Many people I know in an attempt to save money will get the cheapest option they can to save a few dollars and I don't blame them for the idea. However, I've seen red dots literally break off the mounts from the recoil of shotguns, or reticles end up in an "X" rather than a crosshair after a few shots and another cheap red dot that could not hold a zero under the recoil of a shotgun shooting slugs but shot great on a 22. Its only been the last few years that shotguns were accurate enough that a scope could actually help (pretty much since rifled barrels and sabots came out) so many of those value scopes that were fine on a .243, .270, etc were literally getting beat to pieces on a shotgun.

In my mind I would almost rather sight in a 300 win mag than a 12 gauge shooting slugs.

I prefer to buy quality when I can afford to and only buy once, cry once. I've found that if I cheap out I end up buying the item again and spending extra rather than saving anything.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421444502.968384.jpg I put a Nikon pro staff BDC 200 slug hunter 3-9x40 on my Savage 220 and I love it. I zeroed at 100 yds on a windy day but was very impressed. The 3 in center were after adjustments.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421444722.158457.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems the only round mine likes as well... Great groups out too a hundred yards... Haven't stretched it out too 200 yet and probably won't as 100 is a stretch for my hunting.....
Yep mine prefers the accutips as well. I do plan on trying to Winchester partition golds though.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Buy quality the 1st time and no need to cry later on. I had a friend who would build up 1000.00 AR's over 15 yrs. ago and put 30.00 Bushnell scopes on them and couldn't see much past 150-200 yds. and would set there and watch my friend and I shoot out to 400-500 yds. with quality scopes. And all this was after driving 2500 miles round trip to shoot PD's. Made no sense.