Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody else fill out the ODNR internet survery?

Bigcountry40

I fill it out every year in a effort to have my voice and opinions heard. Do I really think this happens?....No.....I did find it interesting that a few questions on survey asked about our feeling of banning baiting b/c of the possible spread of cwd or other diseases. I also thought it was interesting that a few questions asked our feeling on changing the tag wording to keep people from becoming confused. Has the state had issues with hunters tagging more than one buck?
Has anyone else filled out the survey?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I fill it out every year in a effort to have my voice and opinions heard. Do I really think this happens?....No.....I did find it interesting that a few questions on survey asked about our feeling of banning baiting b/c of the possible spread of cwd or other diseases. I also thought it was interesting that a few questions asked our feeling on changing the tag wording to keep people from becoming confused. Has the state had issues with hunters tagging more than one buck?
Has anyone else filled out the survey?

I filled mine out. I would say there was more then a few people that took a 2nd buck because they didn't read the rules and regs. I thought the wording and different tags system they proposed was more confusing then what we have now. Just stupid if you ask me. Leave it the way it is. Better yet, go to a one doe and one either sex tag for the entire state. Problem solved. You start adding this tag and that tag and only in this county and on these dates and so on and so on just complicates things and people start getting stupid.

I put in my comments at the end that baiting was not a huge issue as far as CWD in this state. The problem comes from the state allowing deer farms to bring infected deer in from other states. If there is even a suspicion of a farm being infected there should be no deer allowed to be imported/exported from that farm. The owner should not be given an option to quarantine their herd and should have all deer euthanized and pay for man power to do so as well as pay for the cleaning of the facility. They should also be banned from owning deer and any other animal that could spread CWD and if caught violating those limits they should be fined again and shut down for good.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
In the tag system they came up with I didn't like the idea you would only get one either sex tag and if you used that tag on a doe you could not shoot a buck the rest of the season. That's some BS lol.

In the tag system they came up with I didn't like the idea you would only get one either sex tag and if you used that tag on a doe you could not shoot a buck the rest of the season. That's some BS lol.

That's somewhat how Michigan is now, even though you can kill 2 bucks. Our first license can be used for a buck or a doe and the second has to have 4 pt.s on one side or a doe. As far as additional licenses for does we have antlerless permits that there is a quota for in each management unit. A lottery is used for the first go round of antlerless permits and after a certain date they then sell them over the counter til gone.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's somewhat how Michigan is now, even though you can kill 2 bucks. Our first license can be used for a buck or a doe and the second has to have 4 pt.s on one side or a doe. As far as additional licenses for does we have antlerless permits that there is a quota for in each management unit. A lottery is used for the first go round of antlerless permits and after a certain date they then sell them over the counter til gone.

The entire reason for them suggesting the change was to be less confusing for hunters. The way they worded it in the survey was a hunter could get doe only tags for the entire season or other doe tags only good until start of gun season. Then you could also purchase an EITHER SEX tag but if you chose to use that EITHER SEX tag on a doe you could NOT shoot a buck for the rest of the season because you already used your tag.

If they want to be less confusing for hunters then get rid of the EITHER SEX tag altogether and just have a BUCK ONLY tag and DOE ONLY tags. They try to make things more difficult then they really need to be. In the process they cause confusion and just like we have heard about from this year, if a hunter tagged a second buck or shot a buck during the early muzzy season the ODNR just gave them warnings not to do it again and to read their regs more closely.

Bigcountry40

Since we are talking about the tagging system let me ask some of you how you interpreted the light green counties and dark counties. Dark green had a antlerless permit- 3 tags, light green didn't= 3 tags. A hunter can kill 9 total in the state including red and blue counties. My questions is can hunter kill 3 deer in the dark green and 3 deer in the light green? I thought the greens were added up together, only being separated by a antlerless tag. I am a teacher and working on my masters, but I don't claim to be that bright. Anybody know the actual law (not just what they think)or have the same question I just asked?

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Since we are talking about the tagging system let me ask some of you how you interpreted the light green counties and dark counties. Dark green had a antlerless permit- 3 tags, light green didn't= 3 tags. A hunter can kill 9 total in the state including red and blue counties. My questions is can hunter kill 3 deer in the dark green and 3 deer in the light green? I thought the greens were added up together, only being separated by a antlerless tag. I am a teacher and working on my masters, but I don't claim to be that bright. Anybody know the actual law (not just what they think)or have the same question I just asked?

each county has an individual tag limit. you cant exceed that limit in any county. if you kill 6 does, you must kill 3 in each of 2 county's that are green or light green. they use the anterless tag to lower the cost of killing a doe.....if you actually see any:smiley_blackeye:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So I just got an email from tonk saying sorry the deer survey is done for the year.
I emailed them last Friday requesting a survey.