Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Don't you snow?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No kidding? A knife fight with an almost dead deer...this is going to be a great story that will only get better with time!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
This deer finally gave Braydon a good shot. When the arrow hit, the buck hit the ground..
got up and went down again. We found 8 places he had fallen and 3 had mass blood in them. We heard him on the move so we backed out and went to the house for better lights and the 4 wheeler. We found him with his head up but hurt bad. 20150111_185747.jpg I kicked him in the rump and he only lunged about 6 feet or so and his head went back down. This is where I got careless. (I left the bow at home) I had an 8" fillet knife in my right hand and started to grab an antler to roll him and finish him through the ribs. He came un-glued and charged me and there was a tree behind me. His horns straddled my left leg and pinned me against the tree. (3-4" higher could have been ALL BAD) He was thrashing my leg like fighting a buck. I spun out of this mess and Braydon is laughing....He said "Papaw, I think that buck wants to hurt you" I explained how that could have been a whole lot worse and how I just got cateless. I then stayed away from his head and got the lungs this time. I hate telling about this because I know better. Just hopin it will help someone else be more careful and never assume a deers condition no matter what. I showed Braydon how you should take a long stick and touch the eye to look for signs of life.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn Rick.... I thought wisdom comes with age buddy???? lol.... Glad you're okay and Brayden got his buck..... How bruised up you get????

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm OK J. Length of his horns was longer than my leg is thick. Tree kept him somewhat off me. I was very lucky and will never forget that lesson.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep i can see it now Rick, a few inches higher and your balls would be so swollen you would look like this.lol
Glad he didnt hurt ya.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421191632739.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421191632739.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 48