Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It finally happened to me...

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I knew it was trouble the day dad and I crested the hill to see a beat up SUV plastered with Bowhunter extreme, drop tine buck, Mathews stickers etc. covering to the point you couldn't see out. Yeah, you guys know the kind. The gentleman parked 50 yards from my dad's stand that had about 150 pounds of corn out in front of it. Come to find out, it was the landowners nephew. He must of decided he was going to be a Bowhunter. This was early November. We never saw this guy again this year. We called the land owner and he did have permission. I was annoyed to have to share this spot as it was my best. Boy do I wish that was the case now.

Fast forward to today. I get a text saying " sorry Jerry and Marcus, but regretfully I am revoking all hunting privileges on my property effective immediately". And just like that it was over. I asked why and got no response. We are pretty certain the Bone Collector wannabe must have saw his uncle at Christmas and talked him into booting us off. Given the timeline and seeing the first other hunter on this property in 8 years this year, I am almost certain. Offering money will do no good. This man is very, very rich. We had a great relationship with the landowner and would constantly bring him our home grown sweet corn and soups throughout the winter. A great deal for the 90 acres of prime ground to ourselves. We had it made.

I am sad that I will never again get to set foot on the property that I first arrowed my best buck with a compound. A 140 class 8 point that got me addicted to bow hunting. I will never again get to sit in the ground blind that I videoed my dad arrowing a nice buck in the cold late season. We will never get redemption on the 170" buck that my dad had a branch get in the way of his arrow at ten yards. My dad will not get to hunt tonight like he planned to sit in a blind after a nice buck we just got on camera showing up just after dark. We will not reap any benefits of passing nice 2 and 3 year olds the past few seasons. We had this property figured out and made a lot of memories here. I know others have it much worse than I do, I do feel lucky that I got to hunt this place for 8 years. It is just hard to swallow that it is gone. I honestly feel like my dog died.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Marcus! I know exactly how you feel buddy and so does Ron! It's happened to us on many occasions as well! Hope you're able to find away to hunt near this place but this is what our sport has turned into! I don't know how much longer I'll have the farm I hunt now either! Hope you're able to find another place to replace this one soon!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Sorry man. Who knows, maybe the relative will loose interest down the road.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I feel your pain. I lost a prime river bottom a few years ago. I had shot three bucks over 140 in that bottom. Every time I hunted I couldn't wait to see what deer came by not if. It was a piece of heaven. The landowner told me after I shot my 156 inch buck that next year he was buying a crossbow and he was gonna hunt and no more permission granted.There was nothing I could do, my heart sank. I just about stopped hunting. It truly sucked. I had other spots but it was like hunting public land every Tom Dick and Harry hunted those spots too. But I have shot several decent bucks now that I have figured these properties out a little better. So keep your head up, it does suck but there are always other opportunities maybe not as good, but you still can make and enjoy memories elsewhere.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear that. I would try to talk to the landowner in person and maybe you can work it out.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
That would be very hard stomach indeed. Crappy thing too do for sure...I hope you at least get/got the chance to your gear off his property? And scoop up the corn you guys paid for?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Dude! That's terrible! You can't help but have ill feelings of resentment towards that POS bone collector wanna be. However, it won't change a freaking thing, so chaulk it up and enjoy your memories. Hope you and your Dad can find another good farm to hunt. Sorry to hear!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That sucks. Find another property and lease it. The only way you'll ever guarantee that you can continue to hunt somewhere is if you own it. Leasing it is the next best thing.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Thanks for all the condolences fellas. I do appreciate it. I know many of you have also been through it. I appreciate the support.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
That would be very hard stomach indeed. Crappy thing too do for sure...I hope you at least get/got the chance to your gear off his property? And scoop up the corn you guys paid for?

Yep. We can get our stands, blind and camera. If corn is left it will be taken, but it's like getting close to gone.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Offering money will do no good. This man is very, very rich. We had a great relationship with the landowner and would constantly bring him our home grown sweet corn and soups throughout the winter. A great deal for the 90 acres of prime ground to ourselves. We had it made.

I can say that I understand because I have lost two wonderful properties that I had permission to hunt. I love those places where I "cut my teeth" (so to speak) on deer hunting. They now live in my memory.

I'll say this: Continue to honor your relationship with the landowner. Yeah, it stings, but the land is his, and you seem to have the right attitude that it was a priviledge to hunt there for 8 years. The memories can never be taken away. He's still a good guy and if you're his friends then you should continue with the soup and the sweetcorn and the friendship and fellowship. If you treat him better than his family does, you might end up in his favor again. And even if you don't get to hunt there again, I'd say that 8 years of prime land and a lifetime of memories deserve to be honored. It's the right thing to do.

Trust me on this one. 1) I continued doing firewood for one old guy even after hunting there became untenable because of other people. His neighbor was helping me offload some wood and we got to talking, and I ended up with permission next door to 700 acres of prime land I still enjoy today. 2) One fella that threw everyone off called me up two years later and apologized and offered to let me hunt again.

It comes back around, trust me. Good luck.