Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3D shoots?

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I'm interested in getting involved in doing some 3D shoots after hunting is over. I've never done it but it looks fun and I can keep shooting my bow and getting better and better. Has anyone done them or any advice I should know before going? The closest place to me is Velocity Archery on the southeast side of Columbus. its an indoor range. Anyone ever had any experience there? Looked on there website the have a 3D shoot on Fridays.
I have a hunting setup and I know people can drop a lot of money on "3D bows" anything I will have to change about my hunting bow?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've shot in a few, but I'm not the one to ask. We always shoot for fun and don't take it real serious. I've always used my hunting bow. You can go DEEP down the rabbit hole with 3D, so just be careful! lmao

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Yea I plan on staying away from the rabbit hole lol.. I plan on using my hunting bow. Just want to shoot more and get more dialed in. Enjoy the friendly competition also but nothing to serious.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Used to do 3D. Absolute blast especially if you shoot with a good group.

Velocity is a really nice facility but the distances are really limited for the indoor 3D.

I wish Velocity was closer. Cardinal has a nice outdoor facility complete with walk through the woods course. The hold one of the triple crowns there.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Have to wait until March to shoot Cardinal. The targets get pulled until the weather breaks.

Some of the other outdoor courses should start having shoots in Feb March timeframe.

Just grab your bow and go shoot. It's fun and some of the best hunting practice you can do.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I used to shoot a lot of 3D. Almost every weekend. I always shot the bow I was going hunt with and the same weight arrows. We usually had the same tight group and we shot for the hell of it. Our trophy's were brow and in the hunting season. It can be a blast if you do not get caught up in "speed" and wining. JMHO

teej89

NE PA
I'm with sean, cardinal has some nice ranges! But I go to velocity a lot, some great guys there and the friday 3D shoots are fun they have pizza and what not. Teams are drawn at random and you don't know who your partner is until the end. But take a bunch of junk arrows cuz the shooting distances are 5-18yds w/ one or two 30yd targets.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I'm with sean, cardinal has some nice ranges! But I go to velocity a lot, some great guys there and the friday 3D shoots are fun they have pizza and what not. Teams are drawn at random and you don't know who your partner is until the end. But take a bunch of junk arrows cuz the shooting distances are 5-18yds w/ one or two 30yd targets.

Why use junk arrows? People get robin hooded often? And how many people normally show up on the Friday shoots?

teej89

NE PA
Why use junk arrows? People get robin hooded often? And how many people normally show up on the Friday shoots?

I haven't actually been to one but this was hear-say from a guy who was trying to get me to go. Apparently it'll get busy after archery is over but they say there's typically a decent turn out 10-15+ people.

I go velocity just to shoot the targets cuz my 7yd range in my apt gets old lol but all the guys there especially Brice(old guy that gives lessons or may own it) are really nice

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I shoot a quite a bit of outdoor 3D in the spring/summer. Just use your hunting bow, and I wouldn't change anything on it. Some of my buddies will tinker with pin gaps and yardages, but for me if I keep it all the same by the end of summer I am absolutely "one" with my bow. And as others have suggested, having a good group to shoot with helps. My group is competitive a shit but we constantly fugg with eachother. We have a blast but get laser focused for the shot. We even have fun with prop bets, like "I betcha a dollar I can hit this target in the eyeball with a 2nd arrow" kinda stuff.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Since you are from Columbus I would encourage you to join Apache Bowhunters.

Everything you need, range, target range through woods, 3D shoots, summer leagues

http://www.apachebowhunters.com/

I will check them out also. They aren't far for me either. Just trying to find a place to shoot my bow. Sometimes it sucks shooting in my yard by myself. All of my friends shoot crossbows and those just aren't the same as compound. No offense to all the crossbows shooters on here.

Lundy

I've been reading the site, do they have indoor ranges? I see that they expanded for indoor use but they never said it was finished.

I'm not sure about an indoor range, I haven't been there 10+ years.

I used to go multiple time per week for many, many years.

Kaiser878

ohio
I used to shoot a lot. I used to travel And shoot a lot of different places. I was fortunate to get factory support from Hoyt. So I have a few bows. You can drop a lot of coin in a target set up.... and I mean A LOT! Ha

If your doing it for fun then I would keep your bow exactly the way it is to hunt with. Its a great way to really get comfortable with your bow.... I enjoyed it a lot.... but like everything else I do..... I wasn't having fun unless I was winning. And I can't shake off a bad shot.... its all mental on a competition level....

Spartie61

Hey strother....I was actually just thinking it would be nice to do some indoor shooting during the winter to keep what minimal bow skills I have up until next season, as well as kill some monotony during the crappy weather. I'm in the columbus area....never been to velocity but have been on their website, looks nice. I also have a buddy that's not a member of this forum that would be interested. I know we've not met, but holler if you're interested in setting something up.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Hey strother....I was actually just thinking it would be nice to do some indoor shooting during the winter to keep what minimal bow skills I have up until next season, as well as kill some monotony during the crappy weather. I'm in the columbus area....never been to velocity but have been on their website, looks nice. I also have a buddy that's not a member of this forum that would be interested. I know we've not met, but holler if you're interested in setting something up.

Sounds good Spartie. We will have to set up some time to go shoot either on a 3D Friday evening or another time. Just to be angle to shoot some during the cold months. Always looking forward to meeting people from this forum