Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio update

al.james.507

Well been hunting last few mornings on the farm here in se Ohio. I have checked cams and have a few deer around. Not seeing many large bucks but at least one I'd be happy to kill. Passed a doe yesterday and 3 more this am. Cold and rainy but still putting in the time when I can.

Just an update for anyone whose wondering where I have been.

Hope yall had a merry Xmas.

Albert

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks everyone.

pulled a camera card on the way out today. Had does all OVER it. Literally deer at the camera/foodplot/corn for 16 hours straight. I am not shooting does this year just because I am trying to get the population up a bit. However, i am starting to think I have a totally wrong perception of the number of deer around my place.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Keep in mind that deer are starting to "herd" back up and gather in areas they feel comfortable after being harassed since late September. With the food you have available, you are pulling in deer from all over right now. I am seeing the same on my cameras right now. I'm getting the best numbers I've seen since last winter. So while you are seeing more deer, the guy a mile down the road that had good numbers all fall, may not being seeing anything. Just food for thought. For your sake, I hope it means you really have more deer!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Keep in mind that deer are starting to "herd" back up and gather in areas they feel comfortable after being harassed since late September. With the food you have available, you are pulling in deer from all over right now. I am seeing the same on my cameras right now. I'm getting the best numbers I've seen since last winter. So while you are seeing more deer, the guy a mile down the road that had good numbers all fall, may not being seeing anything. Just food for thought. For your sake, I hope it means you really have more deer!

thanks buddy! That is what I assume as well! Im running a lot of bait right now, and comparing different cams as I pass each day just to see if they same deer are hitting all spots, and so one. Got the link you sent in the other thread. Seems to be very interesting!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great to hear Albert! I also agree with Jesses post as well! Glad to hear that someone here has plenty of deer around! I still haven't seen much while driving around.

al.james.507

Well one thing too I have found is they are damn near nocturnal. I'm lucky this year neighbors have layed off does. I know one said he was going to kill one but he never did. I'm sure if they are up next year the does will get smacked by neighbors. Kinda how it goes around here. Not enough land to make a substantial difference in deer herd but I try my best haha. In stand now. Let's see what happens

al.james.507

Cotty it's pretty cold here in noble county area. At least compared to the last few days. I'm seeing deer just not the deer I want to kill. I also need a new trail system on my farm.

In one area I have to walk past a plot to get back to house. I have jumped several deer out of that as well.

Got about hour of light left tonight. See what'll happen.

al.james.507

Jesse idk why my tap talk name says al.james.

Not a freaking clue but at1010, al.james, Albert are all the same guy.

Hahaha fuggin fugg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks all!

Had a great night! I saw 6 does/bb tonight. two seperate groups of 3. Thought more deer where coming in but the dark beat me to the chance to see what it was. Waitited for awhile, and got down.

Saw 9 deer today which is a darn good day at my place! I should be back at it in the morning to see if I can get a chance at a buck!

Albert

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

That dude don't know shit. Lol!

What he says makes perfect sense. But, a hard cold snap gets them looking for grub. Not my fault he had cameras where there werent deer.

I too have seen some good action last couple nights in an area not hunted much. So yeah, it adds up. Still, give me the nasty weather when they're hitting that woody browse.