Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow tuning issue.

Perfect. 1" groups at 20 yds and around 5" at 60. Got all dialed in with my broadheads, Slick Trick Mag 100's. I decided to change my draw length in Oct. by 1/2" but then changed it back without issue. Now comes the problems. I retuned to my prior 26.5" and all was good for a couple weeks. Ever since I've changed the draw length back my bow has had issues staying in tune. It seems almost every time I shoot it, the poi moves up or down. Doesn't make much sense. My anchor is consistent I make sure to do the same thing every time but still, the bow doesn't want to stay tuned. Now more issues. I pick the bow up the other day and my broadheads won't tune. New slick tricks, same weight, spin straight but no matter what I do to change my rest position to have the field points and broads hit the same there is still a 1" difference at minimum. So any ideas. I have multiple theories. Heard single cam bows like mine (PSE Brute X) have longer strings that are more likely to stretch, so stretching strings? I leave the bow in my barn in an enclosed storage area so maybe weather changes? Maybe bad rest? Idk. All I know is that it's driving me crazy trying to retune this bow when it shot great a couple months ago. Let me know what you guys think.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Its all about muffler bearings...

Just kidding..

Run your Finger over all the limb surfaces carefully and see if you have a weak or cracked limb. A string will stretch but not for every shot unless it's and internal strand broken and moving around but your peep should be out of alignment also.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Strange indeed. What confuses me is that your POI is going back and forth... Sometimes high, sometimes low. I would think that if string stretch was the issue your POI would keep moving in the same direction... i.e. high, higher, even higher, etc. The inconsistent POI leads me to believe it's being caused by an inconsistent variable. Maybe the temperature, or how many layers you're wearing while shooting, or something along those lines.

I would say it tends to get higher every time more than low. Although both have done it. What dumbfounds me is how it just won't tune right. Today I was shooting 2" groups at 30 yds with my field points consistently but my broadheads wouldn't follow the FP travel no matter what I did. I tried moving my rest vertically and horizontally and no matter where I hit, my broadheads would not get closer. I think tomorrow I'm going to re-set my sight to middle both vertically and horizontally and then attempt to re-set my rest to centershot and see what happens. Just odd.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would say it tends to get higher every time more than low. Although both have done it. What dumbfounds me is how it just won't tune right. Today I was shooting 2" groups at 30 yds with my field points consistently but my broadheads wouldn't follow the FP travel no matter what I did. I tried moving my rest vertically and horizontally and no matter where I hit, my broadheads would not get closer. I think tomorrow I'm going to re-set my sight to middle both vertically and horizontally and then attempt to re-set my rest to centershot and see what happens. Just odd.

Crosswind? Fixed blade heads will drift farther than field points due to crosswind. It will vary depending on how strong of a gust you have when you turn loose.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It's hard to diagnose on the net but I would first check your top cam lean and then be sure your rest is timed up propely. If you lengthened the draw you may have messed up the timing on it. Going higher makes me think you rest is not dropping out of the way

Kaiser878

ohio
That short of a draw and that poundage tells me a 400 spine is to stiff. Should be shooting a 500 spine arrow. Yes Milo?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
In my experience the axis infused arrows run a little stiffer in the spine department. I shoot 340s at 74lbs.
Hoyt's can shot a lighter spine arrow most of the time and generally better than some other bows. I can do the same with mine.

Well, after completely resetting everything on my bow to middle and level (sight & rest). I spent today modified french tuning, walk back tuning and finally finished with Broadhead tuning. Only took 3 hours but the bow is finally back to shooting the slicks and FP's back to generally decent. I stopped cuz I was getting tired so I'll finish up tomorrow but we'll see how it holds up. I'm gonna end up bringing it inside from now on and see if I can rule out any weather related issues. Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419723469.717765.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419723469.717765.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 99