Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody ever had shoulder surgery?

I had my right shoulder done 3 years back

For me , it was not a big deal
The rehab was a PITA
I started shooting my shotgun with duck loads a month before I was suposed to , with no ill efects

So IMO it has a lot to do with you and the skill of the Doc

John

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Had my pre-op appointment yesterday and I don't think it will be as bad as I thought. It's day surgery so I don't have to spend the night in the hospital. They are using a nerve block so when I wake up my arm will be completely numb. I get some of those high end pain meds to take so I'm told the first few days I'll be in a fog. According to my wife I'm in a fog every day so this shouldn't be much of a change. I've got 6 weeks in a sling with minimal movement followed by 6 more weeks of PT. Worst part will be no driving for the first 6 weeks. Good news is they expect full recovery in 6 months so I should be ready to go for next bow season. Thanks for all the input guys. It's good to hear from people who've had it done before.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck and it looks like your last Doctor visit was good news. My brother needs a shoulder done but for some reason the Doctor said it wouldn't help so no need to do it. He's worked heavy construction his whole live. He had one knee replaced and won't go back for the 2nd knee. I advised him to do both knees at the same time so he would have only one recovery. I know couple people who won't have the 2nd knee done because of the recovery pain on the 1st knee.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Had my pre-op appointment yesterday and I don't think it will be as bad as I thought. It's day surgery so I don't have to spend the night in the hospital. They are using a nerve block so when I wake up my arm will be completely numb. I get some of those high end pain meds to take so I'm told the first few days I'll be in a fog. According to my wife I'm in a fog every day so this shouldn't be much of a change. I've got 6 weeks in a sling with minimal movement followed by 6 more weeks of PT. Worst part will be no driving for the first 6 weeks. Good news is they expect full recovery in 6 months so I should be ready to go for next bow season. Thanks for all the input guys. It's good to hear from people who've had it done before.

Sounds about right to me. The Dr. never told me anything about not driving for the first 6 weeks but I won't have a choice if they want me to start therapy as soon as they want me to lol. I was told I would be back to 100% in 4-6 months depending on how well I heal and how well OT works. It will also depend on if they have to fix my labrum(closer to 6mo if they do) and if I decided to have my bicep tendon re-attached or just cut it and leave it. If I get the tendon re-attached it could take up to a year.

Good luck and keep us posted.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I had it done 5 years ago when I was 43 (sounds like the same surgery as you), was suppose to be a 45 minute surgery. When the doc got in he found a lot of arthritis and he was in there almost two hours. I wish I would have had it sooner.

The one thing I will say is make sure they give you a prescription for a "Breg Polar Care Glacier Cold Therapy Unit" It was the best thing I had for pain

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Well, I had it done Monday and all went well. I had a lot more arthritis than the x-rays showed. Apparently that was the cause of all my shoulder issues. The arthritis led to bone spurs and the spurs caused the tear in one of my rotator cuff tendons. I'm on my 3rd full day of recovery and the pain is still pretty much there but that was expected. I'm not a big fan of meds but the pain pills have been much needed. I've also got an aircast that inflates and pumps cool water around the entire area. That thing is unbelievable. Worst part has been one of the side effects of the meds is constipation. I finally took a dump this morning and it was like giving birth. Pretty sure I lost 4 or 5 lbs in one sitting! Another negative is I can't shower until my post-op appointment next Thursday. It's not too bad yet but after another week I'm going to be pretty ripe. Got to figure out a way to at least clean my lower half or the wife will banish me to the porch soon. All in all its not the funnest thing I've done but I'm sure it will be worth it in a few months.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like it went well. As for getting hooked I'm convinced it's just a mind set. Some people want to get high and normal people don't want to. IMHO

I'm planning on backing off the meds this weekend. Don't need to get hooked on those things.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on the successful surgery and the grumpy afterward lol.... If the wife starts complaining she can always give you a sponge bath too freshen you up.... Who knows you may see a happy ending as well lmao!!!'

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Congrats on the successful surgery and the grumpy afterward lol.... If the wife starts complaining she can always give you a sponge bath too freshen you up.... Who knows you may see a happy ending as well lmao!!!'

Well put J, LOL. Good luck on the recovery.