Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Escaped deer killed

Strother23

Columbus, OH
So do the people who shot the 4 penned deer get to keep them or does the state have to test them or investigate anything? Or are they treated like normal deer killed in the wild and the owner is just out 4 bucks?

Kaiser878

ohio
The hunters were allowed to keep them. Counts as their buck tag....although ate not eligible for record books. Owner of deer is just out 20 grand

reo

N.E. Ohio
The fact that these penned deer owner guys are irresponsible enough to allow $20k worth of deer to escape is more than a little frightening

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Someone should have darted them and sold them back to the dip stick for 50% his high fence price. Just sayin.....mischeif.gif

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would have shot any of those bucks in a second and advertise to the world that it was a pen raised.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Funniest pen deer story I've ever seen was about 6 years ago in Vinton county. A deer farmer there had two 190 inch deer get out. They looked high and low but couldn't find them. A hunter from out of state shot one on public land and took it to the check station. The check station owner knew of the deer and called the deer farm owner. The owner came up there hot and heavy and called the Sherrif. Sherrif shows up and calls the warden. This deer farm owner is demanding he get the rack back, demanding the guy pay for the deer, and demanding the guy get a ticket for something.

The game warden looks at this guy and says. "He did nothing wrong and it's his deer. If I were you I wouldn't be standing here running my mouth while i still had another deer on the loose. Because by now every hunter in Vinton county has herd the story and is heading that direction to kill the other one. So you better go find it or hope someone kills it because you've got one week before I write YOU a ticket."

The game warden looks at this guy and says. "He did nothing wrong and it's his deer. If I were you I wouldn't be standing here running my mouth while i still had another deer on the loose. Because by now every hunter in Vinton county has herd the story and is heading that direction to kill the other one. So you better go find it or hope someone kills it because you've got one week before I write YOU a ticket."

I like that response!! I am shocked though with the recent CWD case in one of the deer farms down there that the state of Ohio hasn't gone gangbusters on these deer farms and ranches on inspections and all. Hearing all these stories of deer that got loose is not good IMO. When CWD was found on a deer farm up here in Michigan the ranches were basically ran through the ringer and they had to make improvements in double row fencing, prove the whereabouts of each animal, etc.. Not to mention the immediate banning of baiting for a couple of years, mandatory deer checks in the counties surrounding the ranch it was found on, etc. until they were satisfied that it had not gotten into the wild population. Maybe some of that was an overreaction but at the same time just think how things will change if just one of those 'escapee's' did have CWD.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I like that response!! I am shocked though with the recent CWD case in one of the deer farms down there that the state of Ohio hasn't gone gangbusters on these deer farms and ranches on inspections and all. Hearing all these stories of deer that got loose is not good IMO. When CWD was found on a deer farm up here in Michigan the ranches were basically ran through the ringer and they had to make improvements in double row fencing, prove the whereabouts of each animal, etc.. Not to mention the immediate banning of baiting for a couple of years, mandatory deer checks in the counties surrounding the ranch it was found on, etc. until they were satisfied that it had not gotten into the wild population. Maybe some of that was an overreaction but at the same time just think how things will change if just one of those 'escapee's' did have CWD.

Deer farms are governed by the department of agriculture. Farmers get away with murder when it comes to environmental issues. Be it game farms, crop damage permits, habitat destruction, pesticide spraying, watershed destruction, waterway manipulation, right down to driving grain semis with no CDL.

How is it you can't build a parking lot without having an appropriately built, permitted, and inspected silt pond to capture runoff and keep silt, chemicals and other non organic a out of the waterways. Yet farmers can put in miles of drain tiles right to the creek without so much as even a permit much less environmental requirements for nitrate fertilizer, pesticide, or silt runoff.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Deer farms are governed by the department of agriculture. Farmers get away with murder when it comes to environmental issues. Be it game farms, crop damage permits, habitat destruction, pesticide spraying, watershed destruction, waterway manipulation, right down to driving grain semis with no CDL.

How is it you can't build a parking lot without having an appropriately built, permitted, and inspected silt pond to capture runoff and keep silt, chemicals and other non organic a out of the waterways. Yet farmers can put in miles of drain tiles right to the creek without so much as even a permit much less environmental requirements for nitrate fertilizer, pesticide, or silt runoff.
I like to bring this stuff up at the elevator with some of them, albeit a little tongue and cheek. I usually get the same response: "Try saying that with your mouth full of everything we feed you". They don't have a sense of humor whatsoever. Also, 90% couldn't give a shit less about being stewards of the land