Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Escaped deer killed

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lack of proper over sight. A farm agency can't correctly be a watchdog on other farmers. Just as doctors or lawyers can't correctly be a watchdog of their peers. It isn't going to happen.
It boils down to don't against your own profession as you might need them someday to save your ass.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was raised on young fresh field corn. Boiled up young like sweet corn it's really good. When there's nothing else to eat it's even better and you don't know any better.

I do not eat much field corn. Soybeans are good when roasted and salted. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I like to bring this stuff up at the elevator with some of them, albeit a little tongue and cheek. I usually get the same response: "Try saying that with your mouth full of everything we feed you". They don't have a sense of humor whatsoever. Also, 90% couldn't give a shit less about being stewards of the land

Ah.. The old "If you're not hungry, thank a farmer" routine. It's not about "Feeding America" it's about money. Ecological responsibility could be place on agriculture business without any disruption to the US food supply. 20% of US corn is exported, 5% of our corn crop is used to make High fructose corn syrup, about 38% for ethanol production, 37% of corn is used in livestock feed. A whopping total of around 5% of the entire US corn crop goes into human food besides livestock.

44% of soybeans are exported. The vast majority is crushed and used to make oil. About 3% of the soybean harvest used in US is not crushed for oil and goes to seed, feed, human food, and industrial uses. Most vegetable oil is made from soybeans and standard high yield soybean varieties are not suitable for many human food uses other than oil.

If sound measures of ecological responsibility were placed on US grain farmers to protect our country; the US food supply shouldn't be short one kernel. Granted, we might not have as much coca-Cola, french fries and processed / boxed, crap food but the US food supply wouldn't feel much of an impact from some simple ecological regulation. This would severely impact exports however. But why in the world would we risk impacting Americas soil and wilderness over feeding some hungry commie in China and making vegetable oil. Because at the end of the day it isn't about feeding America, preserving our wilderness and lands, it's all about money.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Ah.. The old "If you're not hungry, thank a farmer" routine. It's not about "Feeding America" it's about money. Ecological responsibility could be place on agriculture business without any disruption to the US food supply. 20% of US corn is exported, 5% of our corn crop is used to make High fructose corn syrup, about 38% for ethanol production, 37% of corn is used in livestock feed. A whopping total of around 5% of the entire US corn crop goes into human food besides livestock.

44% of soybeans are exported. The vast majority is crushed and used to make oil. About 3% of the soybean harvest used in US is not crushed for oil and goes to seed, feed, human food, and industrial uses. Most vegetable oil is made from soybeans and standard high yield soybean varieties are not suitable for many human food uses other than oil.

If sound measures of ecological responsibility were placed on US grain farmers to protect our country; the US food supply shouldn't be short one kernel. Granted, we might not have as much coca-Cola, french fries and processed / boxed, crap food but the US food supply wouldn't feel much of an impact from some simple ecological regulation. This would severely impact exports however. But why in the world would we risk impacting Americas soil and wilderness over feeding some hungry commie in China and making vegetable oil. Because at the end of the day it isn't about feeding America, preserving our wilderness and lands, it's all about money.
I need a damn "Jackalope on a shelf" that talks. Just pull a string on your back and listen to you put people in their place. I know it's just about educating yourself on matters that mean something to you. I consider myself a consumer of useless knowledge. But damn, you amaze me on your knowledge of everything Joe

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I need a damn "Jackalope on a shelf" that talks. Just pull a string on your back and listen to you put people in their place. I know it's just about educating yourself on matters that mean something to you. I consider myself a consumer of useless knowledge. But damn, you amaze me on your knowledge of everything Joe

Don't let him fool you....he copies it from Reddit.

:p

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Don't let him fool you....he copies it from Reddit.

:p

Reddit is user generated and not a suitable source for information. Most of it came from the USDA or other publications with sources listed. I read a lot of useless shit too. :smiley_crocodile:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
LOL. So do I. And at times people ask me "why".

Reddit is user generated and not a suitable source for information. Most of it came from the USDA or other publications with sources listed. I read a lot of useless shit too. :smiley_crocodile:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
"... it's all about money."

Isn't everything anymore? Pretty much everything you see, hear, taste or touch is a commodity in some way. money to be made on the grass beneath our feet and the air we breathe. Pretty much just sucks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Deer farms are governed by the department of agriculture. Farmers get away with murder when it comes to environmental issues. Be it game farms, crop damage permits, habitat destruction, pesticide spraying, watershed destruction, waterway manipulation, right down to driving grain semis with no CDL.

How is it you can't build a parking lot without having an appropriately built, permitted, and inspected silt pond to capture runoff and keep silt, chemicals and other non organic a out of the waterways. Yet farmers can put in miles of drain tiles right to the creek without so much as even a permit much less environmental requirements for nitrate fertilizer, pesticide, or silt runoff.

When I bought my property I was concerned about the zoning agents. Asked if I was simply using it for storage would it be considered "commercial usage" and denied. They said yes. My reply? "Good. I was planning on using it to start a tree farm. If I start a tree farm, can I store whatever I want in the buildings and ground?" He said "Absolutely. That would be considered agricultural usage." So storing snowplows in the summer or lawn mowers in the winter on my property is considered commercial usage UNLESS I plant a bunch of trees. Bought it. Two months later I had planted a bunch of trees from Soil and Water Conservation sales. Now I use it as I wish. Stupid how they view some of these things.