Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tips for Late Season Baiting...??

I am still uncertain of my feelings on the subject matter as in PA its illegal so I have never actively "baited" before although one could say hunting near cornfields or apple orchards is similar.
But hey since its legal in Ohio and its late season I figured why not give it a try.
Unfortunately never having done it I dont know the first thing (And yes obviously you buy some sort of feed and dump it)

I am more so looking on advice on what are good sources that deer tend to prefer? (i.e. Nuts, Corn, Bagged Shit from walmart, apples, etc....)
How much do you put out? (i.e. 50 lbs corn....400 lbs corn)
Do you just dump it or use like PVC feeder tubes attached to trees?
How often do you tend it?
How often do you hunt it?
How many areas do you bait? (Say per 100 acres)

Things like this.....Any advice is appreciated.

Jared

at1010

*Supporting Member*
1. 50lbs (min)
2. I dump, feeders all broke! hahaha
3. Tend to it weekly if possible or if you dump enough you can spread that out, depends on density in area as well.
4. Don't over hunt it, you trying to kill a buck or doe? If a buck hunt 60+ yards off the pile on a good trail.
5. I normally bait 2 or 3. Normally just for pictures and to help keep deer close. Never had luck of bucks going to a bait pile. Probably should have hunted them more!

Hope this helps!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
It is illegal on public land but legal on private. There's a couple good threads on the subject here from last year and a lot of it really depends on the place you're hunting and whether you are trying to get a mature buck to come in or just any ole deer will do.

Personally I dump a small amount of corn and freshen it up when it gets low. If I had a huge area to hunt I would just hunt off a good trail but the spot I shot my deer this year is right on the edge of a wood lot that is only 3 acres. I wanted the blind in a specific spot and was trying to just get the deer to come in a little closer so they were in range and hopefully hold still for a second or two so I could get a shot. The plan worked but from my trail camera I found that the big bucks were completely avoiding the spot during the day and only coming to the corn in the middle of the night. Extreme cold weather is a different story but like I said it really just depends. All this being said I do not consider myself a real experienced hunter and am not quite yet a master baiter (had to work that in somewhere).

The one thread that I remember is "corn piles for big bucks" or something like that.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That was my experience this year to.

I used to bait with corn. I haven't done it for a few years. I found that mature bucks only hit bait sites at night. Occasionally really heavy snow may change that. Does and yearlings are liable to show up any time of day or night on a bait site.

Kaiser878

ohio
If your going to corn.... do it right. We dump rt before gun season and late season. Real heavy.....

The night pic is covered in snow. But that's a mound of corn....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418421208850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418421208850.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 2,720
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418421230536.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418421230536.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 511

Kaiser878

ohio
The colder it gets.... and the more form u have available.... the more seer u will draw.... if many deer can set at once... mature seer are more likely to show up in daylight.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tips for baiting.... Good fuggin grief...

Don't be Jelly. Baiting isn't as easy as you think and by no means a slam dunk. There's actually quite a bit of thought that has to go in to it if you're going to be successful.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't be Jelly. Baiting isn't as easy as you think and by no means a slam dunk. There's actually quite a bit of thought that has to go in to it if you're going to be successful.
Whatever you say bud. Believe me, no jealousy here. I don't have anything against baiting. Hell, I had a pile going behind the house for a couple weeks before gun season. I simply don't agree with the "it's more complex than it seems" line of thinking. Anyone with a BASIC knowledge of whitetails and some patience can kill a big deer over bait. I see it happen every year.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
we dumped 3 large piles of ear corn this year around nov. 10th. We seen a lot more deer before we dumped the corn. And the older deer we did see on the corn were skidish. Very few mature bucks hit it in the day time. Seems the deer were more nocturnal after we did it. Just gonna try to plant more plots next year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Whatever you say bud. Believe me, no jealousy here. I don't have anything against baiting. Hell, I had a pile going behind the house for a couple weeks before gun season. I simply don't agree with the "it's more complex than it seems" line of thinking. Anyone with a BASIC knowledge of whitetails and some patience can kill a big deer over bait. I see it happen every year.

So how did that pile behind the house work out for you? It requires more than a basic knowledge of whitetails to kill a target buck over bait. You can't just go dump a pile of corn and expect to kill a specific buck over it. So some people get lucky and kill a buck over bait. But people get lucky all the time. Happens every day. We've all seen it. The guy that hasn't showered in a week, smokes cigarets on the stand, wears an old army camo jacket with carhearts covered in grease stains kills a damn good buck with a shotgun. Some kid walking down a fence row jumps a 180. Some guy who threw out a bag of store bought apples shoots a dandy. This doesn't mean what they did was easier. Just means they got lucky. But to set out with the intention to kill a specific buck over a specific bait pile is not as easy as you think.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have baited deer for years. I will have to say I have noticed the bigger boys and girls are more skittish (during the middle of season) than they were a few years ago. Now I notice the bigger deer are a little easier on the piles early and late season.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I agree with Jackalope. Killing target a target buck over a corn pile is not easy at all. Say you only have a 10% chance to see that buck in target range without corn piles. With a corn pile I would say that the percentage only goes up a few. Maybe 13 or 14% chance now (Made up numbers). Nowhere near easy. If anything the best thing about corn piles is you keep the deer or your property during the cold months so they don't have to wonder as far searching for food. Or for cameras to see what deer are in the area or to see if a target buck survived gun season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Haha you guys are hilarious. Joe, my corn pile didn't work because I never hunted over it. Never intended to shoot a buck over it. I simply put it there so I could keep a gun next to the back window and be an opportunist. As it turned out, I worked late damn near every night last week. But anyway, it's neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is baiting makes killing deer easier... If it didn't, you wouldn't do it... Plain and simple. Notice I said EASIER, not easy. I realize it doesn't make anything a slam dunk. I'm not a dipshit. It certainly tips the odds in your favor though. IMO the biggest factor is whether or not Mr. Big even exists on the area you're hunting or not. If he's not there then obviously you have no chance at killing him. If he is there... Well, just wait him out long enough... He'll eventually show up.

Like I said, I don't have any problems with someone baiting deer. It's legal, so whatever. It's just my personal opinion that baiting deer involves little skill. Some planning and common sense, yes... Skill, not much. So to give tips on how to kill one over bait and to talk about all the strategy involved with it, I just find that comical.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You're a smart dude Jim and I respect you as a friend and fellow sportsmen. However I will say this. It's hard to make a definitive assessment of something you've not done. Just sayin.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'll be dumping corn in the next few weeks. might shoot something over it, might not. either way, it'll draw the deer back into the area that have wandered of throughout the season.