Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tonkovich will be speaking live Thursday

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I see the ODNR hired a new deer biologist. Maybe tonk is going to retire on a fat state pension so he can screw up Iowa or some other deer paradise like New Hampshire.
New Hampshire a deer paradise? I hope your kidding. If it was I sure as hell wouldnt drive 14 hours to hunt Ohio.

For what it's worth here's my 2 cents on this. When we first came to Ohio in 2011 the county we hunted had a 6 deer limit. That made us assume there were does everywhere. We honestly thought we may not get a big buck but knocking down a doe or two wouldn't be a problem. 2 guys hunting 6 days and we saw a total of one doe between the 2 of us. Shocked the hell out of us.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Clint McCoy is an excellent person. I know him personally. I haven't known him long but there is no doubt in my mind that he has Ohio's deer herd in his best interest. I have had many conversations with Clint. He is very knowledgeable, honest, hard working and successful. He knows whitetail deer. Managing the deer herd in an entire state is a very difficult task. The Ohio Division of Natural Resources does an excellent job. They have worked hard to accomplish and maintain the excellent opportunities we have in Ohio. I realize people have differing opinions of how a deer herd should be managed, but from my experiences I have no complaints. Actually, I am thankful that God has provided me the opportunity to hunt this great state. I will do my best to preserve that opportunity and want to thank the ODNR for their hard work and dedication.
You been spending way to much time in the meth lab.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Fewer gun hunters and more archers. IMO more people are going to archery to get more time in the woods for a chance to actually shoot one. If they only did gun season like in years past they would see less deer and more people going home mad and empty handed so it makes sense that archery is on an increase.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fewer gun hunters and more archers. IMO more people are going to archery to get more time in the woods for a chance to actually shoot one. If they only did gun season like in years past they would see less deer and more people going home mad and empty handed so it makes sense that archery is on an increase.
Maybe, maybe not. More people in the woods during gun season = more people moving the deer = more deer being seen.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Maybe, maybe not. More people in the woods during gun season = more people moving the deer = more deer being seen.

What I'm saying is gun hunters are moving more into archery season in hopes of harvesting a deer where in years past they just waited for gun season. If they waited for gun season the last few years they went home empty handed and mad not seeing many deer and not being able to fill their tag. Only makes since to have an archery increase for the season since they have now added 8 weeks to their season to the one week of gun season. Add in most of the hunting shows archery hunt and very few that show any hunting with guns.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Gun hunters aren't hunting like gun hunters anymore...huh

I think they are just as effective as ever and maybe more then in the past. Went to Delaware State Park on Sunday morning and there was nowhere to park and gun hunters EVERYWHERE. The drives are still going on like in years past and with todays ammo and guns are more accurate then ever. Deer are still getting slaughtered.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What I'm saying is gun hunters are moving more into archery season in hopes of harvesting a deer where in years past they just waited for gun season. If they waited for gun season the last few years they went home empty handed and mad not seeing many deer and not being able to fill their tag. Only makes since to have an archery increase for the season since they have now added 8 weeks to their season to the one week of gun season. Add in most of the hunting shows archery hunt and very few that show any hunting with guns.
Yes, they're archery hunting in hopes of filling a tag... by expanding their opportunity in the woods prior to gun season. As a product of that they're spending less time in the woods during gun season. Yes they're going to see less deer if there are less deer available, but spending less time in the woods just makes it seem even worse. It's a downward spiral... gun hunt less, see less deer, gun hunt even less, see even less deer, and so on. It seems to me that gun hunting is slowly fading away. Especially because of, like you said, the archery hunting on TV and what-not. I think even if deer numbers increase we'll keep seeing the decline of gun season participation.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have yet to see a gun hunter sit more then an hour after sunrise. As soon as the sun gets up they sit there an hour and then they get up and move at least where I'm hunting they do. Then after lunch it is drives the rest of the day

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
About time they revise the farmer/hunter attitude surveys... Trying to hit goals that were established 14 years ago?... That's stupid IMO.