Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tonkovich will be speaking live Thursday

Certified106

Just read on another site that he will be speaking live (Thurs 12/11) 7-8pm. Not sure what it's about but I would guess this years kill numbers will probably be discussed at some point. I will be trying to listen just to hear what is said.

http://www.wone.com/onair/outdoor-connection-418/

Outdoors980.com (Click on the 'Listen Live' button, top Left of page)

Mods: If these links aren't aloud sorry in advance and no hard feelings if you delete it.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
This should be interesting. Squirrels and nuts, weather,hunter effort, hunter inability to adapt and a number of other reasons. Take your pic of what excuse is going to be used this year instead of " we screwed up "

I would still be a upset if they admitted it but I would be able to see past it and we could all start over but it burns my ass they blame it on everything else and try to sweep it under the rug and wash their hands of it.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They won't say they screwed up, it was their goal to lower the population. That is done. Hopefully, it's low enough for them to pull back a bit. They will say it is better to cut a little too deep as whitetails rebound quickly, etc. And, they will say, "We've done a great job. It's the ODOW's job to maintain a healthy and balanced herd...bla".

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They won't say they screwed up, it was their goal to lower the population. That is done. Hopefully, it's low enough for them to pull back a bit. They will say it is better to cut a little too deep as whitetails rebound quickly, etc. And, they will say, "We've done a great job. It's the ODOW's job to maintain a healthy and balanced herd...bla".

Your correct Brock, it will never happen in a million years. If they admitted such a thing would only open them up for further investigation and that is the LAST thing they would ever want.

Buckmaster

Portage
And, they will say, "We've done a great job. It's the ODOW's job to maintain a healthy and balanced herd...bla".

and....."we've done an excellent job of obtaining our goals and objectives." Remember, all public service announcements you cover your tracks with sugar coating.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It'll be a load of bullshit song and dance. I doubt seriously he'll be taking questions and if do they'll be prescreened.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I see the ODNR hired a new deer biologist. Maybe tonk is going to retire on a fat state pension so he can screw up Iowa or some other deer paradise like New Hampshire.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Let me guess, the new deer biologist was an adjuster for Nationwide. No? Ok. He was in charge of membership for the Farm Bureau.

Some new kid from Auburn. He told is about him a couple years ago when at strouds. Doesn't really change anything as I'm sure he will toe the line.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He is the kid that did the study on buck movements from feed to bed that Frank posted a while back...I think. It got too hot in the kitchen, very rarely is Tonk even quoted anymore.

bossgobbler32

Clint McCoy is an excellent person. I know him personally. I haven't known him long but there is no doubt in my mind that he has Ohio's deer herd in his best interest. I have had many conversations with Clint. He is very knowledgeable, honest, hard working and successful. He knows whitetail deer. Managing the deer herd in an entire state is a very difficult task. The Ohio Division of Natural Resources does an excellent job. They have worked hard to accomplish and maintain the excellent opportunities we have in Ohio. I realize people have differing opinions of how a deer herd should be managed, but from my experiences I have no complaints. Actually, I am thankful that God has provided me the opportunity to hunt this great state. I will do my best to preserve that opportunity and want to thank the ODNR for their hard work and dedication.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Clint McCoy is an excellent person. I know him personally. I haven't known him long but there is no doubt in my mind that he has Ohio's deer herd in his best interest. I have had many conversations with Clint. He is very knowledgeable, honest, hard working and successful. He knows whitetail deer. Managing the deer herd in an entire state is a very difficult task. The Ohio Division of Natural Resources does an excellent job. They have worked hard to accomplish and maintain the excellent opportunities we have in Ohio. I realize people have differing opinions of how a deer herd should be managed, but from my experiences I have no complaints. Actually, I am thankful that God has provided me the opportunity to hunt this great state. I will do my best to preserve that opportunity and want to thank the ODNR for their hard work and dedication.

Your smoking crack.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Is your name Clint? :)

The ODOW did an excellent job...20 years ago. Today, nah. I do differ from "their" way of managing the deer herd. Throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks is not proper management. Neither is relying on the natural predator-prey relationship. Thinking it is good management to shoot until we run out of deer so that hunters will quit and therefore the herd will rebound is insane. Estimating a deer herd by counting dead deer, is not good management. Relying on farmer attitude surveys when most farmers foolishly believe deer do the majority of damage to corn, is not good management. Not accounting for fawn mortality due to predation, is not good management. Not factoring that a rise in archery hunting equates to a higher loss per harvest, is not good management. Doing away with in-person check in stations, is not good management. Expanding opportunity to increase kill and falsely inflate herd numbers (due to being a moron that estimates herd size by harvest numbers), is not good management.

Ohio has fair deer hunting IN SPITE of the ODOW, not due to the ODOW. We once had GREAT deer hunting. It is entirely the fault of the ODOW that it is less than it once was. And BTW, it was not at it's peak when our harvest numbers were at their highest, it was at it's peak pre-2002. We had ample deer to hunt, no one was complaining then. If farmers were actually dealing with a measure of damage, they were issued permits. Problem solved. Policies put in place by none other than Mike Tonkovich (expanded opportunity, excessive tags) are to blame. But, what do I know, he's the one with the PHD...and the one who counts living deer by how many have died.