Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackson County Area ?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Greed comes to mind here. Hunt the 700 and be happy with it. Lot of big deer come from the Cambridge area. It is one thing to displace resident hunters when you don't have any other option. To have far more land than most of us will ever have and still want to displace people, dang...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Damn , you guys are tough .. I wasn't asking to take your land or your lease , just a point in the right direction . I have access to 700 acres in Cambridge Ohio , at a cost of Zero , Zilch , Notta , because the land owners said they where tired of in state folks running all over his place , tresspassing , killing deer and cutting off the heads and leaving the rest .

How many of the 13 years you have hunted Ohio have you hunted this property? The Landowner has to take some of that responsibility as well. He allowed them on his land and didn't ask the questions he probably should have to get to know the people before he let them just run all over his place and do the things they did. Like was mentioned before, there are a number of different ways to find property in this state. Run a local ad and don't forget to tell them you already have 700 acres in another county to hunt, look on craigslist, use Face Book, County auditors page, knock on doors, send a letter and the list could go on and on.

If you have spent any time at all on any hunting forum then you should have and I'm sure you did know it is an issue when anybody let alone a NR gets on an outdoor forum and asks for a lease. The hate for NR hunters has nothing to do with the fact your a NR hunter at all but rather the way a lot of NR hunters conduct themselves. Acting in an appropriate manner and doing things the right way goes a lot further. Coming into a forum and asking a question you know is going to have some backlash and then get mad when you get flamed and then telling the people of that forum in the state you want to hunt they are a bunch of slobs and that's how you got 700 acres is not the right way. Like I said, the landowner has fault in that as well.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I take it you wanna hunt closer to home since you listed counties in our extreme SE. You wanna hunt tons of land with potential to kill a mature buck look no further than the Wayne National Forest.
I agree with the others that you went about this the wrong way. Leasing has gotten waaaaaay out of hand these days and nearly every parcel of ground ranging from 1 acre to 1000 has a someone hunting on it!

If I lived closer to it the Wayne it would be where I'd be.

I will say this about the influx of NR hunters. When they come to hunt they hunt their asses off! I guess when you spend that amount of money to come all the way here to hunt your priority is to hunt every second, so kudos in that department. The biggest gripe stems from the three main reasons why they come here!

1) they wanna kill a big buck(something much nicer than their state has to offer)
2) their state has all but wiped out the deer there so they come here.
3) our tags are ridiculously cheap, IMO

They are helping turn our state into the exact same sad state of affairs that their state is in! It's not all their fault though as the blame can be pointed towards a number of people mainly our DOW. It's their duty to give us regs and monitor our wildlife and keep us in check as stewards of our land but bending over backwards for the FB and insurance companies has been the main problem over the past decade or so.
I understand the dream of killing a trophy deer but many kill deer that are young with great potential. They all come back with, "Well this 120" 2.5 year old is a shooter(trophy) where I come from!" Well maybe that's why y'all don't have any 140 and up inch deer?!? Plus they prolly have the mindset, "well if I came all this way and spent all this money I ain't going home empty handed either!" We have way more hunters hunting for that <1% animal and many are lowering their standards just to have something dead with a decent rack. I understand its just not the NR with that mindset but just saying that the added number of hunters crossing into our state is perpetuating that mindset.
So don't take it TOO personal when someone here isn't very receptive to your plea for help in leasing ground right next to theirs no matter what county they're in cuz the bottom line they're just trying to manage things the best they can cuz the all mighty dollar is killing our resource......our deer.

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Your story is changing to many times for me. Your opening post basically says you knew what kind of responses you where going to get in the first place. So you got those responses. It also lists many counties, "not just Jackson county" as your lease place of choice. And if you have the access to 700 acres why hunt public north of Columbus?

You say you can have 700 acres of land for free because the land owner doesn't want the headache of dealing with the local yahoos. How often would you be coming up here to hunt that property. If it wasn't every other weekend if not every weekend you won't help a bit in policing the locals. That also means that if you are up only monthly you don't want that headache to deal with yourself. So I call BS on the Cambridge story also. So essentially its pretty much all about you.

I could be wrong but just calling it like I see it.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In 1990 I traveled to TN to hunt with a buddy that had moved there to attend college. He had already gained a lot of ground to deer hunt. In 1991, I went back. He had lost a lot of ground to leasing. In 94 I went back and we could not hunt any of the ground we had hunted in 90. He had found other ground, but it was a revolving door...gain, lose, gain, lose...every year. Now, he hunts only on his in-law's farm and his brother's little patch. Everything is leased. I told him after my second trip I thought leasing for hunting was about the dumbest thing I had ever heard of, and I hoped the "GREED" of the south did not move north. I still feel the same way and hope I never have to lease to hunt. I'm lucky to have the land to access that I do...it's a lot, but I don't hunt on any "poor farmers" that need my little bit of money to cover their property taxes. I also don't hunt any land where I have exclusive access, and I'm good with that!

dthbyhoyt

N.Carolina
Your story is changing to many times for me. Your opening post basically says you knew what kind of responses you where going to get in the first place. So you got those responses. It also lists many counties, "not just Jackson county" as your lease place of choice. And if you have the access to 700 acres why hunt public north of Columbus?

You say you can have 700 acres of land for free because the land owner doesn't want the headache of dealing with the local yahoos. How often would you be coming up here to hunt that property. If it wasn't every other weekend if not every weekend you won't help a bit in policing the locals. That also means that if you are up only monthly you don't want that headache to deal with yourself. So I call BS on the Cambridge story also. So essentially its pretty much all about you.

You can call it BS all you want , doesn't change the fact that I still hunt it ..

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

X2. And if your 700 acres of land in Cambridge story is true, then that's just a bunch of BS that you want more land too hunt. I'll take your 700 acres if you don't want it, I'm not a slob, I'm respectful to the landowners where I hunt, I've lived here all my life and have never had that much land I could hunt on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have thousands of acres I to hunt. For real, anyone that has been down here running around with me can verify. Unfortunately, there are NO deer on most of those acres, or maybe one per square mile. :) It isn't the acreage, it's the right acreage, and I gotta believe somewhere on that 700 acres in a prime county, there is a "right" couple of acres. Quit looking to buy out someone else's hunting spot. Learn to share. Leasers remind me of a bluegill on a nest, running around the perimeter trying to keep others out instead of just enjoying what's there.

If you do find a place, be sure to post the address and dates you plan to be there. Thanks in advance! :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have thousands of acres I to hunt. For real, anyone that has been down here running around with me can verify. Unfortunately, there are NO deer on most of those acres, or maybe one per square mile. :) It isn't the acreage, it's the right acreage, and I gotta believe somewhere on that 700 acres in a prime county, there is a "right" couple of acres. Quit looking to buy out someone else's hunting spot. Learn to share. Leasers remind me of a bluegill on a nest, running around the perimeter trying to keep others out instead of just enjoying what's there.

If you do find a place, be sure to post the address and dates you plan to be there. Thanks in advance! :)

What a great analogy, in redneck laymans terms! Lmao

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
dthbyhoyt My buddy and I have come from NH and hunted Ohio for the last 4 years. We come out for 2 weeks and hunt public land. Our success rate has not been very high so we are hoping to make a change. We'd like to find some private land to hunt next year. Our 4 years out here have taught us a few things. One, public land is plentiful but the hunting is just OK. Two, getting access to private land can up your odds of seeing good bucks but it is tough to do. Three, asking for permission in November is not a good idea. These farmers are busy working and the last thing they want is to stop and talk to a couple of guys in camo. Four, most people we meet are friendly and will take the time to talk to you if you aren't rude or begging for something. Lastly, I think it is possible to gain access to private land if the right approach is used. Part of that approach is not asking locals advice on where to go to get more land to hunt. Especially when you are talking about leasing. Leasing takes access away from others and I'm sure if someone wanted to lease your honey hole in North Carolina you'd be pissed off just like these guys are. I'll come on here and ask questions, post my opinions and so forth but you will never see me ask anyone for advice on how to get hunting land exclusively for myself. It's just not a good idea and especially not when you are asking those people whose land you may end up taking right out from under them. Use the internet, make phone calls, create a pamphlet about yourself like Jesse has suggested on this site, and finally come to Ohio in the off-season and knock on doors. That is my plan and if it doesn't work than I'll go back to public. Coming here is not only a hunting trip it's a vacation. One I look forward to every year. I'm really hoping to gain private access for 2015 but if I don't I'll still enjoy my trip.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
dthbyhoyt My buddy and I have come from NH and hunted Ohio for the last 4 years. We come out for 2 weeks and hunt public land. Our success rate has not been very high so we are hoping to make a change. We'd like to find some private land to hunt next year. Our 4 years out here have taught us a few things. One, public land is plentiful but the hunting is just OK. Two, getting access to private land can up your odds of seeing good bucks but it is tough to do. Three, asking for permission in November is not a good idea. These farmers are busy working and the last thing they want is to stop and talk to a couple of guys in camo. Four, most people we meet are friendly and will take the time to talk to you if you aren't rude or begging for something. Lastly, I think it is possible to gain access to private land if the right approach is used. Part of that approach is not asking locals advice on where to go to get more land to hunt. Especially when you are talking about leasing. Leasing takes access away from others and I'm sure if someone wanted to lease your honey hole in North Carolina you'd be pissed off just like these guys are. I'll come on here and ask questions, post my opinions and so forth but you will never see me ask anyone for advice on how to get hunting land exclusively for myself. It's just not a good idea and especially not when you are asking those people whose land you may end up taking right out from under them. Use the internet, make phone calls, create a pamphlet about yourself like Jesse has suggested on this site, and finally come to Ohio in the off-season and knock on doors. That is my plan and if it doesn't work than I'll go back to public. Coming here is not only a hunting trip it's a vacation. One I look forward to every year. I'm really hoping to gain private access for 2015 but if I don't I'll still enjoy my trip.

Good advice and great attitude! Thanks for posting!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had the land behind my house leased by guys from PA. I had permission until those guys leased it. Then they tried to keep my stands before I had a chance to pull them. No love lost here.

By the way, I have .3 acre for lease. $300 per year. $100 per 1/3 acre. It's a steal.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I had the land behind my house leased by guys from PA. I had permission until those guys leased it. Then they tried to keep my stands before I had a chance to pull them. No love lost here.

By the way, I have .3 acre for lease. $300 per year. $100 per 1/3 acre. It's a steal.

SOLD! Do I get to keep your stands too?rotflmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good thing you are not a math teacher and can take a joke Cotty. lmao

Wouldn't it be $100 per 1/10 acre?

Still a deal. Does your wife cook me breakfast in the morning? I don't cook. :smiley_crocodile:

Last edited: