Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Heart shot and survived.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My buddy said he has been seeing a big doe on his farm whie sitting in his blind the last few days that looked like she had been shot.
Well his son shot her this morning and after getting her he said it looked like she had been hit near her shoulder and exit low out her other side by an arrow and looked like a rage broadhead hole and the blade cut her heart but didn't kill her, these are pics of the cut in her heart.
He also said she never showed any signs of being wounded other than the sliced hole he could see when he watched her feeding.
Another reason I won't be using these type of broadheads.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417894722820.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417894722820.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 87
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417894755174.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417894755174.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 86

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yea Mike he said the small cut was from his knife. Said the big cut was discolored and looked like it had been there for awhile.
Said he was going to cook her liver and I told him to go ahead and eat the heart.lol He said he would pass on that cause it didn't look very good said it was brownish yellow looking.yum

Certified106

That's crazy! I don't understand how if the arrow blade barely touched the heart it would be the broad heads fault. Wouldn't a fixed blade do the same thing if it barely sliced the heart? I'm not trying to argue I just want to understand the difference as I'm fairly new to different types of broadheads.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's crazy! I don't understand how if the arrow blade barely touched the heart it would be the broad heads fault. Wouldn't a fixed blade do the same thing if it barely sliced the heart? I'm not trying to argue I just want to understand the difference as I'm fairly new to different types of broadheads.
I'd agree with this. A slice is a slice is a slice. Not sure the type of head matters.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If you look at the slice, it's deep but did not actually go into the heart, it stayed superficial. This would lead to some decent but not lethal bleeding. You can also see that one of the coronary arteries was cut, this would also less to a decent amount of bleeding but obviously not a lethal amount.

Since to get to the heart the pericardial sack must also be cut that would allow the blood to drain out and NOT cause a tamponade situation.

In all honesty beyond the pain and weakness from the blood loss, she probably only suffered from a small decrease in total cardiac output similar to a minor to moderate heart attack. The cut appears to be primarily only in the left ventricle area.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks. You would think it would have bled out.
Oh I kept my deer heart this week and it was rather good. It's been a long time since we had heart.

I ask him the same thing Frank and he said no the exit wound came out right by the heart and he knew when he put the small cut on the heart when he took it out.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I will check and see if he took any pics of the entrance and exit wounds.He said it was a big slice like a rage would leave.
Guess it really doesn't surprise me too much as I have seen some wounded deer that just makes you shake your head and wonder how they survive.
I shot a buck in Saskatchewan yrs ago that had this stick stuck all the way in his back when we skinned him out.We figured he probably got flipped while fighting,he must have had an infection from it also cause he was pissing blood and and his bladder was full of blood and had it frozen on his underside as it was -15 out.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417913997312.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417913997312.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 100