Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any DIY ideas?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
You need to ask for a reloading press for Christmas. Or find a mentor with a press who will teach you and let you use their press. Now you can't sell your ammo for money, but could do some horse trading....

Good skill to learn, will keep you busy and productive.

You wanted an idea, there you go.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well I guess chasing girls it is! And maybe helping my brother with his trapline. Any other ideas?

I was in sports all year. Worked multiple jobs all summer and money went to dirt bikes or fishing.

I was going to suggest running the line with your brother. Maybe you could make some fur stretchers?

Jason Short

Wayne County
You need to ask for a reloading press for Christmas. Or find a mentor with a press who will teach you and let you use their press. Now you can't sell your ammo for money, but could do some horse trading....

Good skill to learn, will keep you busy and productive.

You wanted an idea, there you go.

That's a pretty good idea, I'm gonna see if I can find a used one cheap somewhere.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Learn how to tie flies. Get your self a cheap hook vice, shoot I bet someone had one in their basement. Get some thread and feathers and start tying flies. You can turn around and sell them.

Jamie

Ohio
read some books and build yourself a bow and some arrows. you can do it for very little money if you have some basic tools. definitely cheaper than girls. :)

When you turn 18 take your reel repairing to the next level. Buy and sell fishing tackle on eBay. My wife and I have been doing it for over 16 years. Buy at garage sales and flea markets in the summer. During the winter and early spring there are fishing tackle shows all around Ohio. You can buy there in large lots and sell when time allows. We have made a good supplemental income doing this. Reels sometimes bring more money if you part them out. I know I buy all the Mitchell 300's I can find and part them out. If you need a fly vise let me know. I have one in my garage collecting dust.

Jason Short

Wayne County
Thanks for the last few ideas guys, they are good ones. I don't really think fly tying is for me since I don't like fly fishing. I like to make stuff that I will get a lot of use out of or at least be able to appreciate. Hortontoter I've gotten some good deals at yard sales and on craigslist for fishing tackle and re-sold it for a nice little profit. I'll probably start stocking up stuff I buy during the summer and sell it all in the winter rather than selling it right away. I'm really busy in the summers so that would spread it out nicely

teej89

NE PA
Thanks for the last few ideas guys, they are good ones. I don't really think fly tying is for me since I don't like fly fishing. I like to make stuff that I will get a lot of use out of or at least be able to appreciate. Hortontoter I've gotten some good deals at yard sales and on craigslist for fishing tackle and re-sold it for a nice little profit. I'll probably start stocking up stuff I buy during the summer and sell it all in the winter rather than selling it right away. I'm really busy in the summers so that would spread it out nicely

you ever get bored and feel an itch to drag out 150lb of corn in athens county i'll provide transportation lol can't use quads on this property so gotta do it the ole fashioned way slinging the bag over yer shoulder lol

doublej

I say hunt that's all I did at that age (and still). October to mid February..maybe missed 3-4 weekends max and was in the woods everyday I had off of school unless I had to be at a family function haha. Then when hunting season closed I ran a lot and Fished, and worked around 20-30 hours a week. Between work, hunting, fishing, and running never had time for much else.
I like the fly tying idea though, or building bows that'd be a really cool hobby to take up. Takes a lot of skill and a lot of learning but no better time to start now. May be able to master it enough to try to kill a deer with your self made bow next season!
It's cool your looking for something productive though instead of like most in your age range that'd just sit down and and go at it on the play station/xbox everyday.

rsmith

Don't be chasing tail without making sure you have your safety on hahha. I killed my first deer ever with a bow last year when I was 18 and have been addicted ever since. As for some "DIY projects" the ammo reloading is a great thing! You can sell it to friends, people you know, or even flea markets and turn profit quick! Or even the fishing stuff that's always great. Another thing that could be fun is getting yourself a inexpensive mallard hen duck call, maybe a Buck Gardner or something under 20 bucks, and start getting good at calling. Just something that is always fun to do on your spare time. Or even find some faded out duck or goose decoys, paint them and sell than on here or on Craigslist. There is always money to be made just have to find it, seams like you got the drive to make it though and that's good.