Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio deer population

bluedog

Do you guys think that the craze for "trophy bucks" in the last 10 years has anything to do with lower deer kill numbers? The popularity of killing bigger bucks has increased a ton over the last dozen years or so, for many reasons. Not everybody is going to kill a wallhanger every year, are there a large enough number of guys statewide that are eating tags because of not killing their target bucks? Would that even have an impact on things? Just thinking out loud here...

Another thing I am thinking of, just in the area I hunt, I know one guy that wounded 4 different deer this year, 2 of them being supposed 150 class animals...and there have been numerous other guys wound nice bucks this year that didn't recover them that I know of...from what I have seen the OPPORTUNITY is there, some guys just have a hard time cashing in on it and closing the deal. I would hate to guess how many dead bucks are laying in the woods around Ohio dead right now...come shed hunting season I am betting I will find a few.

I found one last weekend while squirrel hunting on my farm. Obviously this year's buck, but it's been sitting there quite awhile. Doesn't belong to any the bow hunters on our farm.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Did the glass in the background shatter when the ricocheting 7mm Mag slug bounced through?

rotflmao

What is funny about that is..........The last time I shed hunted that area I found 3 crossbow bolts on the edge of the woods. Obviously someone shooting from the road. All three were different sizes and colors leading me to believe 3 different people shot at different times. Fuggin sad. That area is in the city of Maumee, no hunting allowed whatsoever. I had permission across the highway which is a different town for years. Right before gun season they cross the road and lay low in the city limits:smiley_bril:

yotehunter

spencerville oh
rotflmao he even left a email address too pat his back lol. This guy needs too go if there wasn't sportsman he would need another job. He forgets who helps pay his salary ,its the sportsmen. His comment about the deer herd not being the sportsmen's grabs my ass.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
rotflmao he even left a email address too pat his back lol. This guy needs too go if there wasn't sportsman he would need another job. He forgets who helps pay his salary ,its the sportsmen. His comment about the deer herd not being the sportsmen's grabs my ass.
Maybe I misread but I didn't think the article was written by Tonk himself.
And like I said before its all about the money. And Tonk even says it here in this article.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
No I'm sorry I read it wrong I just seen his e mail address I'm sorry. This guy seems he is in the back pocket of the DNR and acts like the herd will rebound tomarrow. I guess I took for granted Tonk wrote it seeing the email.

Ya, every article I read written by that guy about the deer herd makes me think he's getting some kind of bonus for it.

bluedog

Sucks, at that looked to be an up and comer for you Bluedog! Perhaps EHD? Just a thought since it's in the water, if that spot holds water late August/Sept. that is.

Just a follow up to the buck I found. I stopped by for a visit while squirrel hunting before all this snow came. Our woods are always wet and this was a very wet year. There possibly could have been some water in that area in late summer/early fall but I doubt there was much. I did not see any evidence of velvet on the antlers, but it has been there some time. I picked through the carcass for any clues and I did find a hole through the hide. The hide has deteriorated quite a bit but there was a large section on the top that was intact. Right smack dab in the middle was a round-ish hole about 2-2.5 inches in diameter (that is a big guesstimate). The edges were kind of jagged. In any case, the hole in the hide was definitely out of place in that otherwise intact piece of hide. I have no idea of the difference between a hole from a broadhead vs a hole from a slug/bullet would look like after this amount of time. I think the hole was up toward the front of the deer somewhere but I can't be sure of that as that piece of hide was barely hanging on to the carcass. It was so wet and waterlogged and muddy that I didn't want to mess with it too much. I looked at the spine and the legs and saw no broken bones. The deer is lying within 30 feet of the property line with my neighbor's place. And that is all I know.