Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

new property

FireManBowHNTR

i have been bow hunting for 6 years. 6 years ago I bought a bow and started going down to AEP land with a friend, and hunting other peoples spots with them. I have never really had my own spot, and was not raised in a hunting family. i really need to do some door knocking this spring. Well I have finally secured my own hunting spot. It was from a friend of my Dads. It is a hundred acre lot with fields, hard woods, and some thick bedding areas. Runs along a river as well. I walked around a little bit saturday and scouted, put up a couple trail cameras on some heavy trails. My Dad said theres a couple wall hangers running around. I am just looking for adivse as where to hang my stand (climber). It will be nice to do some scouting in the summer, when there is more preperation time. any advise would be apperciated.

FireManBowHNTR

image.jpg

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

Take it for what it's worth, but I'd pay attn. to the corners of the fields. In the back, the narrow strips of timber would be a good travel route. Inbetween the power lines & the pond & along the river is places to pay attn. to as well. You certainly have a lot of good options all over.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lots of good looking spots there. Could you tell from your scouting where the heaviest used trails or bedding areas were?

My ideal location is a spot I can slide in/out of undetected. The less intrusion the better in my opinion. I like inside corners of fields. The fence row between the two fields looks great because it brings two inside corners together. Fence rows can be awesome. Sometimes there is little deviation in the elevation but if you sit you notice a path the deer use to cross the fields. Often, after further inspection you will notice this is a low spot or drainage area in the field. Where would you be parking/entering/exiting the area? What is/was planted in the fields? Are there other hunters you need to be courteous to their stand locations? Do the neighbors hunt hard? Do you know their stand locations? Sometimes the deer become adept at avoiding pressured areas in the daylight. Just a few thoughts which might help us narrow it down for you.

FireManBowHNTR

gotcha. neighbors dont hunt . the fields used to be hay, but havent been planted in some time. there just tall grass. i will be parking at the house and walking in. Theres another guy that hunts. he hunts in some of the timber to the 1oclock. we had some snow on the ground saturday, so you could really tell where they were traveling

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well there you go then ! You already have a good idea of where to start from what the snow has shown you. In due time, the more time you put in will be all the more informative. You'll certainly have more snow, so all the better scouting this season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is it the house to the east with the long drive? Or is it at the bottom next to the river where there is an opening in the red? From what I am looking at, it looks like there are multiple houses touching these boundaries. Maybe I am looking at it wrong.

If other hunter is in the timber, I would head south of the pond. Tall grass, fence rows, inside corners. . . some good looking spots from the looks of it. Timber is okay for acorns and such. Maybe the guy hunts the ground or has other stands you haven't noticed yet?

Nearly any edges can be good. Transition areas between fields/woods, fence rows, water to field, water to woods edges. The edges of an area just seem to get more travel than the middle for whatever reason. Talk to guys who hunt big timber and they could help you out in that department. I am not that guy. I have always had better luck hunting edges than I have sitting in the woods. Granted, we have mostly fields and very little woods in my areas.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Big deer like river bottoms. I would be at the intersection on the river and a field/woods edge. Use the river to protect your back when your hunting. Looks like a fine piece of property.