Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Calling Post Rut

jmmartin0208

Wondering everyone's opinion on trying to call deer in post rut. Lots of different opinions online. I haven't had much luck calling deer this year pre rut, during the so called rut, or the past few days. Only been hunting for a couple years so any advice would be great!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lots of difference in opinions on this one if I were to guess. To me, it seems like there are more mature deer killed later in November than early. I do not personally feel these deer will fall for these tactics in blind calling as quickly as young deer. I could be totally wrong. In areas of low hunter density, it may be very effective. In high hunter density areas, I would imagine the bucks have been called to heavily and be a little shy of calling. I would still bring my grunt tube, can call, and antlers with me in the event I see a deer which is moving away from me. I would attempt to turn him.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I just stopped and checked out a Buddy's 22 point he killed said he was rattling and grunting every 20 min or so and killed him at 20 yards pulled him away from a few does also. I'd post pics but he didn't want any posted to Facebook or anything.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just like that, I hit the grunt lightly... 5 minutes later...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416684775.814388.jpg

Could be coincidence. I don't know.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Rattled one in this morning for my son. Clean miss, but boy I think the deer hunting bug has bite.