Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you eat this deer?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I came across this doe while hunting in Noble county over the weekend. She was with a fawn and appeared completely healthy as she worked through the woods browsing on acorns. If it wasn't for the disgusting appearance of these "deer warts" on her right shoulder, neck, and rump I was planning on shooting her. It's been a long season... and I've passed on too much meat for the freezer. Once I saw the warts however I opted to pass, not being certain if the meat was safe to eat or not.

None of the guys at camp really knew what to make of the growths until we did some searching and discovered that it looks like a fibroma. Turns out they're not harmful or fatal to the deer, unless of course they interfere with normal eating or breathing capabilities. There is also no known evidence of fibromas being transferred to humans through contact with the deer or consumption of the meat, so I guess I could've shot her. But, there are plenty of other deer out there so I'll wait to put my tag around one that's a little bit prettier.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You fellas were correct in your research. They are harmless, and are only on the exterior of the skin. If you were to peel her out of that mess, the meat would appear completely normal. Like you, however, I would think about her appearance every time I stuck a fork in a steak. It would not be on my "want to eat'' list either.

Great pics again, Sean!

Huckleberry Finn

I would have probably thought, "That's a deer that is going to suffer and die" and would have killed it regardless of intentions of eating it. Good to know otherwise.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I think I would have put it out of its misery, but maybe it isn't suffering?? That is one nasty looking poor old doe. LOL

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Never being put in this situation myself it's hard to say what I would do. I have seen pics of other deer looking like that and some worse off then she is. I have done some reading on the wart like growths and such a couple years ago when I seen the first pics pop up. I can see both sides of the shoot or don't shoot and honestly, I don't know what I would do until I'm in the spot to make the decision.

Great pictures Sean! Man I'm like Brock in that I would be thinking about all those bumps every bite I took, along with watching my family eat it. If there really is no problem with the meat then it may be a good donation deer. I know that may sound odd but if it's safe to eat and it's also about my perception as a provider to my family then that is where it would go.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I ain't fooling with that! LOL

We saw a buck for with a giant fibroma the size of flattened basketball. When he took off running, it was flapping in the wind! F'n gross!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great info and pics Sean! Wonder what causes this condition as in all the years I've hunted I've never seen this before so it must be rare!

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Yeah I would have let that one walk by as well. Which is odd now that I think about it... I have caught and kept numerous amounts of walleye with a type of fibroma without issue. Just looks worse on deer I guess...

doublej

Looks gross but perfectly edible and the deer is fine..It's a viral thing, forget what they call them..Fibromas I think
I've killed several deer that had a few but not that bad, we have it on my family property.. Typically if you have one with them you'll likely find them on other deer in that area..