Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014 youth gun season

Strother23

Columbus, OH
So yesterday I took out a neighbor kid hunting. This was my first time taking out a youth hunter as my own kids are 2.5 and 1yr old. We went out in the morning and we sat in a blind and we end up seeing 4 deer at about 175yds and they walked right under a ladder stand of mine. So of course that where he wanted to sit for the evening hunt. So the evening comes and he gets in the ladder stand where the deer showed up in the morning. And I get in a stand about 100yds away where I can see him. About 445pm I had a doe and button buck walk right under my stand and he can see it all and it's driving him nuts. So the end up leaving and then about 515pm a 3pt buck poposout of a tree line 20yds from me. I didn't think the buck was going to go his way so he ends up getting down out of the stand and try's to get into position for a shot. The ground is wet from all the melting snow so walking was quiet. He gets to a tree about 75yds away and is waiting for a broadside shot then the buck randomly starts trotting across a cut bean field and he doesn't get him stopped until 125yds. Which was probably a little out of his comfort range but had was so excited he let all 3 slugs fly. I'm watching it all through my binos and he hit the buck. We met up after it all happened and shortly after went I see if we could find blood. We found blood and tracked the deer through a 25acre patch of woods and across 2 cut bean fields and into the neighboring property. The blood was there but it wasn't bleeding heavy. I "jumped" 3 fences, more like flopped over them. We heard kept hearing the fence creak real loud. After about 600+ yds and 4+hrs of tracking we lost the blood trail on the neighbors property. It couldn't have been a hit to the vitals. Had to be a flesh wound. The kid was crushed that we didn't recover the deer. But he thanked me on the way home for teaching him how to track a deer and giving him the opportunity to kill a deer. I told him he had learned a lot and to remember all the lessons. It was a good experience for him just sucks we could find his deer.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
So yesterday I took out a neighbor kid hunting. This was my first time taking out a youth hunter as my own kids are 2.5 and 1yr old. We went out in the morning and we sat in a blind and we end up seeing 4 deer at about 175yds and they walked right under a ladder stand of mine. So of course that where he wanted to sit for the evening hunt. So the evening comes and he gets in the ladder stand where the deer showed up in the morning. And I get in a stand about 100yds away where I can see him. About 445pm I had a doe and button buck walk right under my stand and he can see it all and it's driving him nuts. So the end up leaving and then about 515pm a 3pt buck poposout of a tree line 20yds from me. I didn't think the buck was going to go his way so he ends up getting down out of the stand and try's to get into position for a shot. The ground is wet from all the melting snow so walking was quiet. He gets to a tree about 75yds away and is waiting for a broadside shot then the buck randomly starts trotting across a cut bean field and he doesn't get him stopped until 125yds. Which was probably a little out of his comfort range but had was so excited he let all 3 slugs fly. I'm watching it all through my binos and he hit the buck. We met up after it all happened and shortly after went I see if we could find blood. We found blood and tracked the deer through a 25acre patch of woods and across 2 cut bean fields and into the neighboring property. The blood was there but it wasn't bleeding heavy. I "jumped" 3 fences, more like flopped over them. We heard kept hearing the fence creak real loud. After about 600+ yds and 4+hrs of tracking we lost the blood trail on the neighbors property. It couldn't have been a hit to the vitals. Had to be a flesh wound. The kid was crushed that we didn't recover the deer. But he thanked me on the way home for teaching him how to track a deer and giving him the opportunity to kill a deer. I told him he had learned a lot and to remember all the lessons. It was a good experience for him just sucks we could find his deer.

I also commend you for taking out a Youth hunter!
Both of my daughters are "adults" now but each one tried the youth hunt with me sitting at their side. They have helped me on blood trails and rides out of the woods w/ a deer on the back of a 4 wheeler or tractor. I have very fond memories of those days as I'm sure you will. I don't know his age or experience. I have always sat with the youth to either approve the shot or wave it off. I hope he gets back out. It sounds like you taught him a lot today.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I also commend you for taking out a Youth hunter!
Both of my daughters are "adults" now but each one tried the youth hunt with me sitting at their side. They have helped me on blood trails and rides out of the woods w/ a deer on the back of a 4 wheeler or tractor. I have very fond memories of those days as I'm sure you will. I don't know his age or experience. I have always sat with the youth to either approve the shot or wave it off. I hope he gets back out. It sounds like you taught him a lot today.

He is 16 but he has very minimal experience hunting but is familiar with guns. So that why I thought it was ok for him to sit in his own stand and make his own shot decision. He definitely learned a lot.