Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mobile setup

Diablo54

Outside
If you were to be starting from scratch as far as a mobile hang on setup, what would you get? I love my lone wolf climber but am struggling with finding the right tree. I can think of several places where it would help me a lot. Thinking about millennium and lw sticks. But want some input.

Diablo54

Outside
I know I could research this and look at threads but figured there are several new setups out compared to years past.

teej89

NE PA
I love my LW hang on with the LW sticks but I REALLY want a millenium for the comfort. I ended up modifying my first stick and made a 2 step rope ladder that attached to it and I can have my first stick maybe 8ft off the ground.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I am making some changes to my mobile set ups as well. For starts, that climber I bought off Kevin at Strouds last year is a POS and I may very well give it away! So I plan to purchase a LW Sit & Climb for when I want to use a climber. I may only use it 4-5 times a year, so it will last me forever.

As for my main run and gun set up, I am getting the Millennium M100U so I can shed 2.5 pounds. I'm dropping to 4 LW sticks and adding a single Muddy stick for my top stick. I'm also going to drop the GamePlan Gear TTS and go with the Molle II pack frame and straps. I know Greg likes his Muddy stand and I'll have two of those, but I can't see myself getting away from the Millennium for those 4+ hour hunts. For me, it is worth the extra work to get them in a tree to have that comfort. Plus with the mods, they are secure as hell and I feel safe in them. I am tall enough to shoot over the seat too, so that eliminates another issue some guys have with them. The Muddy stick at the top is a fantastic idea (credit to Greg again) as it has two steps and provides some flexibility for getting in/out of the stand that the LWs do not. As for the pack change, I want something designed to haul 40+ pounds. The GamePlan Gear TTS is a great system for lighter stands, but it has not held up to the abuse of hauling a 34 pound set up (more when I strap a pack on there). The Molle II frame will hold up and be more comfortable for those long packs.

It takes practice and work to use this set up. However I can go everywhere a climber can and ALL the places a climber cannot. Plus it is as comfortable as hell!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
most of the time around here i dont have a run in gun set, i just carry a climber if i wanna move, i would like to get something for when i go out of state and hunt tho, a climber can suck to carry and find the right tree.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I got a Muddy Outfitter (steel) and 3 Muddy sticks. I carry a couple screw in steps if I need a little bit more. I also made a strap that hangs from my first step that adds another 2'. I think I'm carrying about 40-50 pounds. I'd like to upgrade to the Muddy Bloodsport or another lighter stand as this is a load. I had a few failures with the Muddy straps breaking carrying this load. I bought the Molle II and it is much more comfortable and better built.

I'll snap a pic of the first step with added foot strap, it is quite handy.

I carried this setup everyday in Indiana and after 4 days straight and changing trees once a day, it was pretty hefty.... I did use my climber this year 2-3 times, but I knew where I was going and knew I had straight trees...