Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First timer with an unusual question maybe.

nhfisherman

My first time on this site and first time posting. What has brought me here is the desire to possibly hunt in another state. I am from New Hampshire and hunt all of the different seasons. Bow, Muzzle loader, Rifle For Deer, Bear, and Turkey. I live in Concord NH with my wife and 6 children. I also teach archery for the NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program). That gives you a little back ground about me.
So what am I seeking? Well I am just testing the waters looking for possible options for next year or a few years ahead. Not just for me but for my children. We hunt in New Hampshire where the deer numbers are not extremely high. We put in lots of hours trying to get on any deer, never mind any big deer. I have been successful this year and in years past but it does get hard with the kiddos. When they can get out, I get them out but the sightings are few and far between. In fact this year they have been out a bunch and have yet to see a deer with them with me.
So to cut to the chase I guess I am looking around and trying to find a state where we could go and their odds may increase. Don't get me wrong I am not looking to try and make it easy on them. They hunt a lot with me and see nothing a lot of the time so the frustration is there. It would be nice to take them on a trip where deer sightings are a little more plentiful. We don't seek or need Booners. We would just like a place where the sightings would be good or chances are better.
I am also not looking to try and move in on some ones ground where they have spent countless hours of scouting and try and take it over. I am just a dad wanting to get the kids on a fun productive hunt. If you have kids and take them hunting you know the feeling of wanting to see them succeed.
I am not sure if there is anyone out there who is looking to assist someone like this or maybe even trade hunts in some way. I don't really know how to go about this. I am also not in a place to pay an outfitter for guide services and land access. We are a big family with one income. Not crying poverty here just giving you a picture. We are meat hunters who try and fill the freezer with bear, turkey and deer meat to avoid buying meat. The family all eats and loves it. Especially the bear.
I'm sure some will think I am crazy and some may get upset that I even have the nerve to ask. Trust me I have met guys in my own state like that. I apologize to those ahead of time for offending or upsetting.
If anyone has any ideas or thoughts they would be greatly appreciated. Maybe there is someone out there that just likes to be hospitable and is open to taking in a father and a couple kids for a hunt. I would be happy to share or answer any questions of anyone that might be willing to discuss the idea.

Thank you for your time.
B

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Plenty of state land and even AEP land to hunt here. Where in the state was you looking at hunting? SW or SE Ohio? Might help us narrow done some areas to have you look at.

nhfisherman

Honestly I haven't a clue. Open to suggestions. East would of course mean a shorter drive from NH but if the hunting was better on the west I would consider that as well. A place to stay that I can afford and such is also a factor. Is the private land in Ohio mostly leased? Or permission only sort of thing?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are portions of the state with pretty good public ground. I see guys post pictures of public land deer every year which impress. Others complain of minimal sightings on public land. Wish I had better information to help you along on your journey. Welcome to TOO. Good luck in your quest.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Here's a thought: every October TOO has a hunting get-together at Stroud's Run State Park near Athens, OH. (Southeast)
If you came down for that hunt, you'd get to meet a bunch of the the guys, and do a little hunting on Strouds, and maybe some of the guys who are local could put you on some deer. On top of that, very close to Stroud's is some other bigger public land, (Zalewski (spelling?) and Wayne National Forest). Some of our guys are from around that area and could help you with directions/maps/etc. You could camp at the State Park cheap and hunt from there - Like I said, just a thought. See, I know that the guys here would go out of their way to help you succeed, if you came from all that way. Call it hunter hospitality. And if you really are thinking long term, that first trip might be an investment to learn the area and maybe make some relationships, with the subsequent years paying the bigger dividends.

Again, just thinking out loud.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here's a thought: every October TOO has a hunting get-together at Stroud's Run State Park near Athens, OH. (Southeast)
If you came down for that hunt, you'd get to meet a bunch of the the guys, and do a little hunting on Strouds, and maybe some of the guys who are local could put you on some deer. On top of that, very close to Stroud's is some other bigger public land, (Zalewski (spelling?) and Wayne National Forest). Some of our guys are from around that area and could help you with directions/maps/etc. You could camp at the State Park cheap and hunt from there - Like I said, just a thought. See, I know that the guys here would go out of their way to help you succeed, if you came from all that way. Call it hunter hospitality. And if you really are thinking long term, that first trip might be an investment to learn the area and maybe make some relationships, with the subsequent years paying the bigger dividends.

Great idea Dan! IMO, this is what I would do! Good luck!

nhfisherman

That certainly sounds like an interesting and good idea. Is this hunt an organized deer drive during gun season? Is it something that would be kid friendly (13 & 16 yr old daughters)? My goal is to find something I could do with them and my other kids as they grow older in the years to come. Be it every year or every other sort of thing. I like the idea of getting to meet some local guys and build a relationship with some where I could make it an annual event. Maybe even have them come my way if desired for a black bear hunt. Kind of a swap hunt sort of thing.
What time of year does this take place? Do you know the names of any of the state parks where I can look into prices for a place to stay?
If easier I can certainly give you my e-mail address.
Thanks Again
Brandon.