Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cabela's ECWCS Base Layer

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Went too Cabela's last Saturday with the intent of picking up some cold weather gear.... Last winter showed some weaknesses in my clothing arsenal lol..... I'd talked too some marines while I was deployed about the cold weather gear that they've been using and they basically said hit Cabela's and get their cold weather base layers.... I looked them up and did some reading on the subject and decided too give it a try....

Pricey for me but they were really talked up by the marines we were with.... So the wife, daughter and her boyfriend and I made the trip too wheeling too Cabela's... When we got there I walked directly too them and picked up a set and pretty much stared at them lol.... I had a 15% off coupon and a 100.00 gift card on me but something about dropping that kind of money on something that I still wasn't 100% sure would work lol.... Well it bothered me.... But I bought the top and bottom and figured what the heck couldn't be any worse then 7 year old under armor cold gear lmao!!!!!

Well wore them a couple of times just too get used too them and see how they fit in the field while rabbit hunting and they were a little too much in 40 degree weather and then used them tonight with the temps around freezing while on stand for a little over three hours..... Gotta say they worked pretty friggin good.... I can usually hang for 3-4 hours on stand around 30 degrees until I have too get down and move around too get the blood flowing again, but I didn't get anywhere near being cold or chilled for that matter.... Now my feet did get cold but my upper and lower half stayed nice and warm and there was pretty good wind blowing most of the afternoon.....

As of now I'd say it was worth the investment on this base layer.... Now if I could find something like this too keep my feet warm I'd be thrilled lmao.....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...chTypeByFilter=AllProducts&x=11&y=13&Ntt=ecws

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...e&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=ECWCS&x=0&y=0&Ntt=ECWCS

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have the regular ECWS thermals and love them. Cabelas has some quality stuff. I almost bought the ones you got J. Seemed like a good investment.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I love my cabelas polar weight ecws base layers. Very very warm!

At 2.5 hours into the sit I thought normally I'd be cooling off pretty good by now but was still nice and warm.... Greg what are they like below freezing kicking brush??? Too much or not???

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If you don't wear much over them, they do well. They wick moisture well. If you wear too much over them, you aren't gonna be able to get rid of the heat.

On the cold mornings, I only wear the top in, so I don't get overheated. Once I get set up and cooled off, I start piling layers on.

Huckleberry Finn

If you don't wear much over them, they do well. They wick moisture well. If you wear too much over them, you aren't gonna be able to get rid of the heat.

On the cold mornings, I only wear the top in, so I don't get overheated. Once I get set up and cooled off, I start piling layers on.

I started doing that last year and was walking into the woods in practically just under armour, carrying all my layers in one of those mesh decoy bags. Worked out really well.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I started doing that last year and was walking into the woods in practically just under armour, carrying all my layers in one of those mesh decoy bags. Worked out really well.
I've been carrying all my layers in. I have found I stay warmer a lot longer if I just put on one layer at a time and wear it until I start to get chilly before adding another layer. It has done well so far, but this next week will be a real test to my layering system.

epe

Lancaster
They have the ecws on sale in store.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415936591293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415936591293.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 180

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jesse how old are your UA base layers? Mine are 7-8 and just don't seem too cut it anymore..... Or I'm just older and colder lmao..... I wonder what he shelf life of these are???

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just replaced mine that were 7 years old with the new infrared version. My old ones were worn the fugg out. Part of the reason I bought all new stuff for deer was so I could have waterfowl and deer clothes separate. The old stuff will get stinky for ducks now!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I have seriously been thinking about upgrading base layers. I just can't talk myself into paying that much $$ for base layers. It's painful to think about. I do like the idea about walking in with not everything on and then slowly adding layers

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have seriously been thinking about upgrading base layers. I just can't talk myself into paying that much $$ for base layers. It's painful to think about. I do like the idea about walking in with not everything on and then slowly adding layers

Yeah, dropping close too 200 on base layers is unnerving as well for me.... I stared at it for a while.... Then the wife said put it in the cart or back on the rack.... lol..... So in the cart it went.... That'll teach her lmao..... Anyways I didn't make it out today but will be out either tomorrow or Sunday and I'll update.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well spent 3 hours sitting on he ground this evening and toes got a little cold but lower and upper torso was nice and warm.... I'm pretty content with this base layer and haven't added any other undergarments other then the base layer and a wool sweater and jeans with insulated bibs and parka.... So far so good which I feel pretty good after dropping the coin for it..... It was 22 when I sat down and 17 when I walked out.... Pretty pleased with them so far....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Been out a few more times sitting on the ground in both snow and just cold and I gotta say so far these have been a good but as far as keeping me warm so on that part it's a win.... I've washed them 3-4 times and as of now I've just hung them too dry and unless I'm pressed for time I'll keep it that way for now.... If these things can hold up for a few years I'll be very happy....