Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Sage OF Splitter Comes Full Circle

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That was a great read Dick..... You definitely paid your dues for this buck..... Congrats too you on one fine buck.... And it sounds like your wife deserves a big high five for her help as well......

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What an awesome read Dick! One of the best I've ever read! Perseverance and determination all the way buddy! Congratulations on getting your number 1 target buck!!! We were rooting for you all the way!!! I have a feeling that fire won't need much to get reignited! Lol

I'm very happy for you!!!!!!

I also want to commend your wife for being very supportive!!! That's awesome!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Congrats Dick. Awesome story on a 3 year quest that couldn't have ended any better. They say good things happen to good people? Well, in this story holds true. Enjoy your memory, after all you deserve it !

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The write up was as impressive as the buck. This is what it is all about. Thank you for sharing the story with us. Not just this write up, but the whole adventure from the last couple years. Congratulations Dick. Very happy for you. Having your wife see you is all the more special. Very nice for her to be there for you to enjoy your moment.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Finally got a chance to sit down and read the tale of a legend named Splitter and the hero who took him down. Beautiful read Dick. I've longed for over a decade to know this feeling and I'm so happy for you that you got to experience it. Some may not understand the tears, but I do. When you hunt one deer that you develop a relationship with, you invest so much more than just time and energy. It takes parts of your soul and your being to chase a ghost. To finally catch up to him and to end the saga, that is a rush of emotions that some may never know. Congrats on a fantastic whitetail and for realizing a dream. Thank you for sharing this with us and we can't wait to see the mount!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Dick, I'm sure the picture's in the IKS thread, but I think it would be appropriate for you to put a picture or two in this thread, so that when folks are browsing this in the future that they get a look at Splitter :smiley_coolpeace:

Good idea. I plan to do a photographic tribute to him in the very near future. But, I have to pull the card from my camera in my creek bottom to finish this tribute. I'm hoping on that card there will be a photo of Splitter and in the background hopefully I will be visible in the stand with the crossbow resting at ready for the shot I took him with. I'm pretty confident he tripped that camera as he approached my stand.

Here are a few more photos. In the one photo is myself and my neighbor that was kind enough to use his ATV and trailer to get my buck out of the woods. The photo with the deer in my truck bed is of a good friend of mine. He hunted with me fours days the week before I took my buck. I took him on his first deer hunt when he was 15 and I was 25. We been chasing critters together ever since.

Attachments

• IMGP5600.jpg
    IMGP5600.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP5575.jpg
    IMGP5575.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMGP5591.jpg
    IMGP5591.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP5582.jpg
    IMGP5582.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 55
You guys that have mentioned my wife being supportive are so right. If she wasn't so understanding I may have never experienced what I did on Tuesday. She never has a problem with me packing up and going hunting for a couple days. And if I'm planning to go by myself she usually comes with me, just in case I need help with something. In September she trimmed all my shooting lanes as I sat in the stands giving directions. But, the kicker was Tuesday when I told her first thing we have to do to field dress the deer was to remove his genitals. She gave me that funny look (use your imagination) as I handed her my Buck knife. I held them and she made the cut. Then she helped me finish the field dressing job. Between the two of us we got it done fairly well. Then we had to muscle the brute into the truck bed. Without her I'd have never got him in there.

So yes, I admit I'm one lucky guy and I ain't letting her get away. I thank my lucky stars that we found each other when we did and we have enjoyed our last 23 years to the fullest.