Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014-2015 rabbit hunting thread

Jamie

Ohio
sounds like the pups had some light bulbs come on for you. nothing more rewarding than watching young dogs making progress. nice work.

Nastyfudge

Banned
Its been a great season so far for us. Been having a lot of fun. Posting some videos for you guys. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Does a great season mean nobodys been killed yet lol? Rabbits running everywhere people running everywhere. I know the camera made it look worse than it was and hope your buddy just tore his jeans and nobody blew half his leg off lol. Just busting your balls lol Welcome aboard!!!

Nastyfudge

Banned
Lol. Great season as in we've killed quite a few rabbits. and were always mindful of where each other are at and constantly communicating.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thats good lol!!! Pretty cool that you have some public land with action like that. Have fun and be safe and post some more hunting videos if you can.

Buckmaster

Portage
Instead of blowing them apart from 5 feet wouldn't it be more sporting to take those shots with archery equipment? It would be more impressive.
We always let the rabbit run full circle before shooting it, that's with a beagle though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't know why you wouldn't wear orange. Notice this group of handsome men. Lot of orange right there. That is the proper way to hunt with firearms in a group as far as I'm concerned.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I watched the first one. Seemed awful disrespectful for the game. I don't think there is anything funny about blowing a rabbit apart. I shot a few that were setting years ago, but I had sense enough to direct the pattern to their head. It worked. The rabbit died, and I had delicious bunny meat to eat. I don't recall ever throwing them either. Maybe I'm weird.

Glad you all survived.

Huckleberry Finn

What part of public land were you hunting in the second video?

Just curious, because I notice at 1:10 that you were standing on a brine tank. Are you the owner of a private well on public land (hint: you're not)? Or did you just post on youtube and a hunting website proof that you were criminally trespassing? Surely you are not the owner of that well, because you would know the danger of firearms and that nice separator. What exactly was your plan when that brine tank roof collapsed and you were trapped in water or oil in freezing conditions?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its been a great season so far for us. Been having a lot of fun. Posting some videos for you guys. Let me know what you think.

I don't think much of it. It seems reckless and abusive. Its hard to imagine there is much worth eating after that.
You asked...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First squirrel I ever shot flopped around and carried on. I shot it again. There wasn't much left to eat. I felt pretty bad about it. I feel it helped form me as a hunter to an extent. Quick and ethical kills are something I strive for whenever shooting game. I believe most hunters feel the same.

We are a pretty open minded bunch here at TOO. We are an inviting crowd quick to welcome a new face. I know there are plenty of hunters who have had moments they weren't proud of. It seems you are pretty proud of your hunting methods. I am not sure many would be proud of wasting their game of choice. Seems unethical to me. Not very sporting. Just my opinion.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Tough just to get through the first video for me so I didn't watch the second one. Glad someone didn't get shot though. Rabbit is awesome to eat but blowing them to smithereens ain't the way to do it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What part of public land were you hunting in the second video?

Just curious, because I notice at 1:10 that you were standing on a brine tank. Are you the owner of a private well on public land (hint: you're not)? Or did you just post on youtube and a hunting website proof that you were criminally trespassing? Surely you are not the owner of that well, because you would know the danger of firearms and that nice separator. What exactly was your plan when that brine tank roof collapsed and you were trapped in water or oil in freezing conditions?

I had to go watch the second after bailing on the first at 1:15 and the maniacal laugh at a rabbit blasted in half in its bed. Huck is right. People have died from falling in those tanks and if the owner of that well saw the video, chances are good you'd get a call from them if you were identified. Not smart...

bluedog

Looks like I missed a little drama around here. Well how about I get this rabbit running/hunting thread back on track. I'll share a couple videos I took and a few pictures of some hunts.

First up is a video from late January. As usual, if I am taking video I do not have a gun with me. This first one I was sitting on a log and the rabbit came past not 6-10 feet away. I love when this happens. Scenting conditions were average. Overall the dogs didn't do too bad but whenever the rabbit travels through a snow tunnel and comes out the other side, well it's a large gap of no scent and the dogs have to figure out where to pick up the track. (yep I'm making excuses for me dogs, LOL)

[video=youtube;Q5ytP1i_TcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ytP1i_TcU[/video]

Looks like one video per post so I'll put the second video in a separate post.

And some from a few hunts:

First up was a hunt down at my neighbor's house. We've been trying to get him in position to take one with his bow. So far it has been so close but no success yet. On this hunt my neighbor's son came along with his shotgun and he did shoot two rabbits. I just was along to handle the dogs and did not carry a gun. My neighbor manages his place for rabbits with a great series of brush piles around and about. There were rabbits running everywhere. Great fun!

The following day just the dogs and I went and hunted a spot on my farm I call the swamp. This was back before the big snow fall we had and there was only about 4-6 inches of snow on the ground that day. This area is a good 1/2 mile from the house so I really can't get back there very easily in snow any deeper. Still 4-6 inches is enough to make everything a challenge. The snow had been around for awhile and so was hard packed over top of all the brush. It is so thick back there and there are infinite spots for the rabbits to hide that the dogs cannot get into. I shoot very VERY few rabbits back there because it is so challenging. The dogs had been chasing rabbits here and there for a couple hours when I took them up an edge along our main crop field. I was busting brush right along with them when they got a rabbit going. I was able to climb up on a dirt mound and get a view into the swamp. The dogs took the rabbit on a classic decent sized circle through the swamp while I waited. I was able to shoot the rabbit and of course it died right in the thick stuff. And of course the beagles could care less about picking up a dead rabbit in their mouth. So I had to get down and crawl through the snow on my hands and knees about 20 feet in to get the rabbit. I took one picture as I was almost there of the dog staring at the rabbit. (Don't just stare at it you stupid dog! LOL) And another pic after I extracted myself from the brush.

I had a fun hunt yesterday and came home with another rabbit but will save that tale for a little later.

bluedog

Ok the second video was the morning after a foot of powder snow fell overnight. As you can see it was still snowing. The dogs had a really tough time tracking in these conditions. Not only were the scenting conditions bad, but the rabbit snow tunneling effect was bad too. The rabbits tend to run down into a brush pile encased in hard packed snow. The dogs harass them enough that rabbit comes out the other side, but that other side might be 10 or even 20 feet from where it went in. Since the dogs aren't small enough to get through the frozen tunnels, they have to then figure out the rabbit came out the other side and continue the track from there.

In this video, the rabbit makes an appearance at 3:45.

[video=youtube;mZRs3VQd9TI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZRs3VQd9TI[/video]