Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What to do

Hoytman62

I was wondering what kind of cough drops you use while in your stand. Wouldn't it have to be one that didn't give off much of an odor? Also is coffee ok or does the smell keep deer away? Thanks so much?

I'm kind of in the same boat this week. I think when I hit the store later I will look for something that won't just be a menthol kind. Maybe cherry or something, Ludens aren't bad for that. Problem is if I get a scratchy throat sometimes it's only the menthol that will take care of it. There's another thread started where some mentioned citrus like pineapple juice and others to help.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you don't worry about your stinky breath normally, then I wouldn't worry about the cough drops! And unless deer know that coffee is only drank by humans, I don't think you need to worry!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If you don't worry about your stinky breath normally, then I wouldn't worry about the cough drops! And unless deer know that coffee is only drank by humans, I don't think you need to worry!

Exactly. I drink at least 2 big ass mugs of coffee before morning hunts and I've never had a deer wind the maxwell house.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I was out yesterday evening and I was using normal menthol cough drops in my stand and I had a doe come to 10yds. Didn't even notice me. I always try to keep my mouth closed so the menthol smell doesn't travel down wind.