Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public Land Question

jeremy44230

Medina County
So, my Indiana trip will also act as my first public land hunting trip... I cannot get there with daylight left tonight and plan on starting hunting tomorrow. I've studied topo's and found a few saddles that I hope to set up on.

This all being said, I don't plan on going in before the sun is up. I have 4 days to hunt.

I plan on slipping in right at daylight so I can get my bearings for the area. I'll be sitting until dark.

I hate to do this, but don't have many options. I just hope there are NOT any hunters that I may impact on my way in.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

teej89

NE PA
So, my Indiana trip will also act as my first public land hunting trip... I cannot get there with daylight left tonight and plan on starting hunting tomorrow. I've studied topo's and found a few saddles that I hope to set up on.

This all being said, I don't plan on going in before the sun is up. I have 4 days to hunt.

I plan on slipping in right at daylight so I can get my bearings for the area. I'll be sitting until dark.

I hate to do this, but don't have many options. I just hope there are NOT any hunters that I may impact on my way in.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

honestly I think that's your best shot to not disrupt the woods. If there are trucks everywhere at the gate you're trying to go into maybe look at another gate if you're worried bout bumping into other hunters. But I 100% agree w/ you on the wait until daylight and slip in.

doublej

I would base it on if any other trucks are in the area..but I don't think it's a bad thing.. I wouldn't worry so much about "ruining" others hunts, I used to try to take others in consideration but in the years I've been hunting public I've learned that others sure as hell don't care if they ruin your hunt...so do what you need a do so that you can has a successful and enjoyable time! Good luck man!

Yep, base it on the trucks in the parking areas and decide from there. You may find you don't have any or a lot of competition. From that then you can go on to plan A, B, etc.. If you are real concerned and there are hunters already in the area then it may be best to wait til after 10 to head in on that first trip, just out of courtesy.

reo

N.E. Ohio
Yep, base it on the trucks in the parking areas and decide from there. You may find you don't have any or a lot of competition. From that then you can go on to plan A, B, etc.. If you are real concerned and there are hunters already in the area then it may be best to wait til after 10 to head in on that first trip, just out of courtesy.

Agreed. Do unto others....

reo

N.E. Ohio
I would base it on if any other trucks are in the area..but I don't think it's a bad thing.. I wouldn't worry so much about "ruining" others hunts, I used to try to take others in consideration but in the years I've been hunting public I've learned that others sure as hell don't care if they ruin your hunt...so do what you need a do so that you can has a successful and enjoyable time! Good luck man!

And this is the type of attitude that drags society down. You are correct in that some hunters are douche bags but it has been my experience that this is not always the case. Anyhow if someone acts in a manner not to my liking I cannot see how this gives me license to practice the same offensive behavior. I do not get the logic....
Just a rant from the tree stand on public ground. Nothing personal.

teej89

NE PA
And this is the type of attitude that drags society down. You are correct in that some hunters are douche bags but it has been my experience that this is not always the case. Anyhow if someone acts in a manner not to my liking I cannot see how this gives me license to practice the same offensive behavior. I do not get the logic....

I agree 100% last year I went to hunt public after losing my private piece to the locals (aka they stole my stands and cameras). And I went down into the bottom and got a light shined on me. I slowly backed out and the rest of the week I never went back to that bottom b/c when I'd pull into the lot in the AM they were already there or pulling in as I was walking in. I hunted a different piece and saw my biggest public land buck ever but didn't get a shot. Things just work out in weird ways and I like to treat others as I would like to be treated. There's plenty of woods to hunt, I hate it when hunters aren't respectful of each other.

doublej

Maybe I should have been clearer, I'd never initially go pop in the woods to scout during prime times in an area I see a few trucks..but if it appears no one is in the area I'm going and if I slip up on someone who's in a tree, it is what it is. I'll back out quietly and move on, but I'm not going to not scout or cut my scouting time down just because I may "ruin" someones hunt.I'm not the guy with a buddy talking in a regular voice sees you and keeps scouting anyway pointing out all the sign that is the reason your up in the tree 50 yds away,or the guy that slips out quietly but then goes dump guts by your tree for when you return the next day... I see you..get out quietly and then scratch that area off my list because I try my best not to be near anyone..probably even just push deer towards you, you got to use scouters/squirrel hunters pressure etc. in your gameplan
I never said anything about acting like a douchebag...I basically just said scout when you need to scout, it's public land you have just as much right to scout first thing in the am as they do to hunt..bring your bow and bam you are hunting too, you can still do it respectfully someone still may get a little angry but you can do it without really hurting there hunt rather they think you did or not.

Last edited: