Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been quite some time

matt hougan

Dayton area
Well, nearly two full days in the stand and I leave empty handed and a bit discouraged. Had a young doe and a really young fork buck within bow range last night right at the end of legal light. Lots of tureys and two dudes working for the gas company walked through at 1pm yelling at one another so they could hear each other over the crunching leaves. Today I really tried to stay all day but the rain and cold and dwindling hope fored me down the tree.

I did gain more confidence with smoking my clothes. Young buck circled me and never had a clue. I also learned some bsic traffic into the littel food plot where the photos were taken so I can back off the scrapes and rubs and find much better trees.

I also learned I am a lousy deer hunter. I lack patients to sit all day. I also lack confidence in knowing when to move, quit, sit tight. I did leave my climber at the base of my new tree. I might be able to swing a morning next week.

Oh, one more thing. Bring your seats home with you. Nothing worse than a wet butt

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I'm starting to think it's important to get constantly beat up in the woods. If you could go climb a tree and shoot a big buck with no effort, where's the reward? Good luck!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Just saw this, awesome deer! If you have that many shooters on camera but all at night I would think moving some cams around might be a good idea unless the property is very small. I would think at least one of them is moving somewhere in day light. Good luck!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Any does in the area? Figure out where they are bedding yet? If there is a morning to hunt, I think mid to late this week could be good. Brock said so. lol

Right now, just about any time is good. Just need to be in the right place at the right time when the does come through. Seat time is the key ingredient right now. I am sure there are a handful in lockdown, but there should still be some cruising. Wish I could offer something better in the form of advice. I am sure everything I have mentioned you have already thought of. Best I can offer is: Get out there, be safe, and good luck!

matt hougan

Dayton area
Yeah, There are tons of does on camera at all times of the day. The little food plot is tore up with tracks. There are several scrapes and lots of rubs. I saw a few deer but nothing like what on the cameras. two of the deer I saw circled me before entering the food plot so Im confident of the scent control/smoke. I wasnt gettig busted...They jsut never showed up.

I will not be able to hunt this week, perhaps next week.

Thanks Phil