Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Disappointment.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Jake....keep at it man! Anyone who has NOT made a bad shot, has not hunted very long!
I have found that liver shot deer can not get comfy. Will lay down 3-5 times just before expiring. Don't forget a spray bottle of peroxide...can come in real handy on blood.
Good Luck Buddy!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I got a pass through ron, and thanks alot guys, especially jesse and gordo. I'll give you guys a holler later on. I'm gonna swing out today and look for buzzards, then I'll check up by my stand, where I shot him. As for water sources, I checked em all. All of rhen around. And yeah adam, he circled back around almost the way he came from. But he was on the next shelf down.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jake , if you hunt deer for any matter of time you'll have this happen.... Definitely sucks when it does and I'd be disappointed in you if you didn't want too hang it up because it bothered you too wound one and not find it.... We've all been there a time or two.... Keep your head up and press on and learn from it.... Lots of good advice and good friends willing too help you out looking for it.... If you weren't worth it they'd of never offered.... Just some old guys .02 worth....

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
That's my thoughts j. I can't imagine going out and having this happen again. I'm just going to hang it up this year, and hopefully my dad can kill one on the farm were hunting. I bet I walked every bit of 5 miles yesterday total looking for this thing, and I'll do it again if I have to. It's a shitty feeling, and one that will stick with me for a while.

teej89

NE PA
Good luck jake! Have a lot of people behind you today, take it slow and keep your head on a swivel. You'll find him man. And even if you don't just don't stop hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Jake, just saw this! Don't you dare give up hunting this year!!!!!!!! Sure it sucks ass!!!! Sure you feel bad but its over and done with now but at least keep hunting for a doe. IMO, that deer is dead and its my guess that you've walked by him at some point within 500 yards or so from where you hit him. Keep on searching and buzzard watching but don't give up!!! I wish I lived closer so I could help you!!!

After you find this deer(I know you will with Tays help and others) get back on that saddle and swarp a doe! It's great practice that also puts extra meat in the freezer! Good luck finding him today!!!! I think you will very soon!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck looking today. No need to hang it up for the year as you didn't do anything wrong. Shit just happens at times. So get on with life and prove it to yourself and others you can do it.

joejoe8

Good luck with your search. We've all been there, sounds like you're doing everything you can.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I got a pass through ron, and thanks alot guys, especially jesse and gordo. I'll give you guys a holler later on. I'm gonna swing out today and look for buzzards, then I'll check up by my stand, where I shot him. As for water sources, I checked em all. All of rhen around. And yeah adam, he circled back around almost the way he came from. But he was on the next shelf down.

Walk that shelf and look for trails leading down. He will work his way down into some of the thick stuff. With a gut shot he will not want to go up hills because it will pull and hurt a hell of a lot more then going down hill. Look for runny bloody stool as well. Think of it like the most painful diarrhea cramps you have ever had. You don't want to stand up straight and God forbid there are any stairs to get to the bathroom. It's easier to go down the steps then going up them.

Last edited:
Good luck to you. I know you mentioned Taylor bringing his dog over but have you considered contacting one of the other professional dog trackers to com over to take a look? Something to think about and if you did hit liver or guts good enough that deer is dead by now. It does happen and it happened to me on my biggest buck until it was found a long ways away on my cousin's property a week later. Lucky is all I was on that. But I know what you are feeling as I still think about how bad I felt for the several days after and even today I still think it changed me as a hunter. Just whatever you do, don't give up on yourself!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Good luck finding him today! No sense in giving up for the year, it happens to everyone buddy! Like has already been mentioned, nothing unethical about the shot you made so keep your head up!!