Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Rut

Ricer2231

With less than 5 minutes of "digging" you will find that new and old members both will get their scrotum smacked a little when it comes to pinpointing the rut. There is more deer hunting knowledge here than you may ever know and if you want to continue to post responses like the one above you will probably never know. Suck it up a little and take the responses in good humor just like they were intended and you'll learn a lot more than when the rut is.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
hell ive got two buddies in from Tennessee now and if we werent busting each others balls we would think we didnt like each other. its part of it if you cant laugh and take some jokes or give it back then your gonna have a rough time here, anytime this month is a good time too be in the stand.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Try with an intro about yourself and give us a little background and you'll find it works alot better than the way you started. Good luck when you make it to the Great Buckeye State.

Exactly. I'm from NH and been around this forum for a little over year and I can say it's the best one out there. Honest answers from honest guys. These people don't know me at all except on this forum but they invited me in without question. A lot of other forums treat out-of-staters like we've got Ebola or something. When your first post is "are they rutting yet?" you come off as a person trying to use this forum for your own personal gain and that's it. Try going to the new member forum, introduce yourself and give some background info. Then spend a few days reading different threads and adding insight or opinions where you can. Talk about hunting in your home state, give a product review, do SOMETHING! If you give a little you'll be amazed how much complete strangers like these guys will bend over backwards to help you. I hunt Ohio 2 weeks a year and that's it but these guys don't hold it against me. This forum not only gives me the info I need but it also gets me pumped to get there as I read the stories of these guys knocking down bruiser after bruiser.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
haha yeah man there's nothing wrong with the guys on here just a little new guy hazing, and it's worse cuz it's a post about the rut. Just gotta take a little new guy hazing and you'll be okay. Honestly this is the best forum I've ever been on and stick around on here I'm sure you'll like it too.

And AJ hit it on the nose! Granted he's been here for how long? and we still don't really like him, but don't let him know that lol lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
teej89, Thanks for the intelligent response. You know maybe its just that they feel insecure about their hunting abilities, they don't know anything about hunting or don't know how to answer the question and the camaraderie that true hunters share to learn, especially on a site like this that does just the opposite unless your in a click. You never know who your talking to or going to meet but I can give the benefit of the doubt to people that are busting balls and then come back with a response without being sarcastic. This is what gives hunters a bad name and as a member of the press I don't publicly humiliate them. teej89 you understand and I appreciate a good response, that's why if your ever down here your welcome to one of our gator or hog hunts with one of my outfitters on me. keep up the good moral attitude as a hunter and a person.

Thanks

For someone who is a member of the press you don't conduct your research very well. Not only about the rut as there is currently 3-4 other active threads on the same topic. But also the moon as there is also a thread where we discussed this in detail.

As for the people here, you'll never find a better group of guys. There is nothing clickey about anyone on this forum. We hunt hard and have a good time. That includes busting each others balls.

Now to answer your question. There isn't one. If there was a definitive answer you wouldn't need to ask. It would be common knowledge. Deer don't rut on a schedule like it's a bus route. Even the best biologist of our time still don't completely understand what makes them want to rut. Some say it's the moon, some say it's the length of days. Nobody truly knows. So it's really a silly question. The best answer we can give is to get your butt in a stand the week before Halloween and don't leave it until the week before thanksgiving.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Exactly. I'm from NH and been around this forum for a little over year and I can say it's the best one out there. Honest answers from honest guys. These people don't know me at all except on this forum but they invited me in without question. A lot of other forums treat out-of-staters like we've got Ebola or something. When your first post is "are they rutting yet?" you come off as a person trying to use this forum for your own personal gain and that's it. Try going to the new member forum, introduce yourself and give some background info. Then spend a few days reading different threads and adding insight or opinions where you can. Talk about hunting in your home state, give a product review, do SOMETHING! If you give a little you'll be amazed how much complete strangers like these guys will bend over backwards to help you. I hunt Ohio 2 weeks a year and that's it but these guys don't hold it against me. This forum not only gives me the info I need but it also gets me pumped to get there as I read the stories of these guys knocking down bruiser after bruiser.

Good post. Some people get it and know how to take a little ribbing but most guys from out of state have dealt with OTHER forums and those forums don't treat NR very well. TOO is a lot different in that respect and if you do an intro and give us a little background and say Hey that goes a long way with this crew. You and many others have seen this over time and know how it works and know how to take it and give it right back lol.

TTO, look around the site and get to know what TOO is all about and get to know some of the members. Let the members know who you are and just know your going to get messed with from time to time just like anybody else that walks in here.

Last edited:

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
haha yeah man there's nothing wrong with the guys on here just a little new guy hazing, and it's worse cuz it's a post about the rut. Just gotta take a little new guy hazing and you'll be okay. Honestly this is the best forum I've ever been on and stick around on here I'm sure you'll like it too.

And AJ hit it on the nose! Granted he's been here for how long? and we still don't really like him, but don't let him know that lol lmao

HA! :smiley_clap:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just get over the ball busting and fit right it. I joined TOO about 2 1/2 yrs. ago and got my balls busted on my 1st post but I got over it after the guys found out I was for real. Just part of the welcome to TOO I guess.

Trophy Taker Outdoors

I appreciate everyone’s response and can understand that some people would come on a forum just to get information on the rut this time of year and you guys see that regularly but I was asking a valid question does moon phase and or weather effect the rut or Does in heat and biologist have been researching this with different opinion’s and I understand that its different from region to region, our rut starts in August down here when its 100 degrees outside. Everyone has their own opinion and I understand I’m new on here and I can take the ball busting, if we know each other but I was just trying to break the ice. Hospitality goes a long way, I know you guys have a lot of knowledge but you can still learn something every day. My apologies and I hope the responses are welcoming.

Thanks

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Now that's how you start. Welcome.

As for the rut and all that jazz, I think Joe (Jackalope) made a good summary. No one really knows. I've never seen or experienced any one factor that I felt was the controlling bit. Other than the calendar that is. Count on the week of Halloween through Thanksgiving to be the sweet spot here.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
All the research has I've seen concerning moon phase is based on data collected from the northern half of the u.s. Charles Alsheimer even says that things are different in the south. Does the moon affect it? I think so. But so does temp, barameter, percipitation, wind,.... It's pretty much impossible to predict all the variables and come up with a rock solid prediction.

The rut occurs between halloween and thanksgiving. A lot of things have to work together to make the activity appear in the daylight. But if the starts...and the moon... line up and you're in the woods when it does, you'll get a show.

On a side note, I personally have never witnessed "rutted activity" partly due to low deer densities in my area and partly because of a busy work and home schedule that allows me only so much stand time. Hopefully this year.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome to the best forum out there.
The bucks in central ohio are not rutting yet.The little guys are pestering the does but the big boys I have seen are still out feeding and just biding their time.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO and be sure to join in. I have little experience hunting the true rut as I've only been a true bow hunter for 3 seasons now. Before I was only a meat hunter for the past 48 yrs. and only hunted the Ohio gun season starting the Monday after Thanksgiving. But by Dec. 1st or so the major 1st rut is over.
In 2012 I bow hunted hard the whole months of Oct. and Nov. and the major activity I seen was on Nov. 11th and I seen 7 bucks traveling and 4 does. Couple days before and after Nov. 11th I seen a lot of bucks just traveling and following does. And the Nov 11th date is sorta what they say is the major rut date give or take a few days.
We'll see how this year works out as I plan on hunting the next couple weeks hard or unless until I get a buck.
In 2013 I got lucky and took a nice 8 pt. buck on Oct. 26th and didn't hunt after that.
From recent moon study I posted recently there appears to be no difference what the moon phase is around Nov. 15th and the effect on the rut. And up until this point no deer has checked in to advise us of their thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I appreciate everyone’s response and can understand that some people would come on a forum just to get information on the rut this time of year and you guys see that regularly but I was asking a valid question does moon phase and or weather effect the rut or Does in heat and biologist have been researching this with different opinion’s and I understand that its different from region to region, our rut starts in August down here when its 100 degrees outside. Everyone has their own opinion and I understand I’m new on here and I can take the ball busting, if we know each other but I was just trying to break the ice. Hospitality goes a long way, I know you guys have a lot of knowledge but you can still learn something every day. My apologies and I hope the responses are welcoming.

Thanks

Should get you started pretty good.

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?9519-The-Moon-What-do-we-know
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?16438-Moon-phases
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?16299-Moon
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?16964-No-link-between-moon-phase-and-the-rut
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?16892-Full-Moon-Rut-First-week-of-Nov
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?964-Full-moon
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?5887-The-Rut-Lockdown-Full-Moon-SLOW-Movement
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?13224-planning-vacation-time
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?4964-Swear-by-it-Or-do-you-swear-at-it

Diablo54

Outside

Thanks

I will give you the best answer I have. Be in your stand as much as you can from October 25-gun season. It only takes 5 seconds for the big one to cruise through or push a doe through. It is heating up early this year.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
I will give you the best answer I have. Be in your stand as much as you can from October 25-gun season. It only takes 5 seconds for the big one to cruise through or push a doe through. It is heating up early this year.

This is a great reply, I often sum it up to my wife like this... I will sit for 100 hours and it all comes down to about 10 seconds if I am lucky... gotta be there for that 10 seconds..

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. Can't help with your rut question other than it seems to be picking up lately as far as daytime movement. I just want them to cut all the corn by my spot and I will be happy.

Good luck on your hunting.