Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut ready

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
We all hunt for different reasons and have different opportunities. I'm a meat hunter, but a nice rack is appreciated TOO. Some guys find a challenge in getting a mature buck down while I find a challenge in getting any deer down.

jeremy44230

Medina County
The worst experience I had with deer was my first deer ever. I had it done at a quality butcher. Got the meat, went toy grandpa's house with much excitement to eat. I made cheeseburgers and could hardly stomach it... This was one of maybe 2 deer I had processed at a butcher. I then began butchering my own. I have never had an issue since. The last 3 years, I have been lucky enough to shoot mature bucks that were rutted up. I can't tell a difference.

I fully blame the taste on the way it was processed. Right or wrong, this is my belief. I do all my own and have never had that taste again....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The worst experience I had with deer was my first deer ever. I had it done at a quality butcher. Got the meat, went toy grandpa's house with much excitement to eat. I made cheeseburgers and could hardly stomach it... This was one of maybe 2 deer I had processed at a butcher. I then began butchering my own. I have never had an issue since. The last 3 years, I have been lucky enough to shoot mature bucks that were rutted up. I can't tell a difference.

I fully blame the taste on the way it was processed. Right or wrong, this is my belief. I do all my own and have never had that taste again....

That's because most deer processors simply debone and grind. They don't spend the time trimming fat, silver skin, or ligaments. I always tell people to tell their processor they want 98% lean and watch them laugh.

I butcher my own also and have converted many deer meat haters.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
That's because most deer processors simply debone and grind. They don't spend the time trimming fat, silver skin, or ligaments. I always tell people to tell their processor they want 98% lean and watch them laugh.

I butcher my own also and have converted many deer meat haters.

Absolutely right, if you aren't taking the silver skin, tendons, and ligaments out, you are in for "gamey", nasty tasting meat.

Unfortunately, that's the first experience that a lot of people get with venison, and it's tough to get them to try it again when it's prepared as it should be.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Over the last 48 yrs. of taking deer I've fed it to a lot of people who didn't know it was deer meat. It's all in how the meat is taken care of before butchering it and then the cooking technique.
I'm convinced that most of the stories of bad deer tasting deer meat is half spoiled meat before processing.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I would have zero issues shooting that deer. Well I guess I would have one issue. I have to be able to hit it where I want. I am still trying to kill my first bow buck. It has been about 12 years of trying so it will come. Everyones definition of a shooter is different. That would be a trophy to me.

rsmith

The huge body and tiny rack. This buck is 5+ years old...lol

Tiny...... yeah lets go with that.. that is a monster deer. But hey thats awesome you have the control to pass deer like that. that thing looks like a taller blue ribbon pig haha thats awesome how fat he is, i say he is ready for the rut haha.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I knew exactly what JD meant cuz I've learned how his sarcasm and demented mind works after several years of observations!

That is a PIG!!!! He will bust off many beautiful long points from higher scoring deer for a piece of ass this year!!!

........and TINY would be a perfect name for this deer! Wouldn't it JD?

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I knew exactly what JD meant cuz I've learned how his sarcasm and demented mind works after several years of observations!

That is a PIG!!!! He will bust off many beautiful long points from higher scoring deer for a piece of ass this year!!!

........and TINY would be a perfect name for this deer! Wouldn't it JD?

I'm afraid that's exactly what's going to happen Ric. I've been waiting on a certain buck to show up and I'm worried this buck will run him out...lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm afraid that's exactly what's going to happen Ric. I've been waiting on a certain buck to show up and I'm worried this buck will run him out...lol

Offer stands. I will kill him for you. I've been known to use buck tags on does. Why not a "Tiny" rack? lol

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Offer stands. I will kill him for you. I've been known to use buck tags on does. Why not a "Tiny" rack? lol

Lol!... My luck I'd let ya and two hours later you'd be calling me saying "Hey JD, I just shot that buck". I say did ya. Well good. You " Yeah but he's bigger than I thought. He's like 180..." I say, you mother _ _ _ _ _ _ you better be joking me!!!