Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

need help fast.

Jason O

Update
Didn't see another deer. And i left around 6. I need to do a better job of hiding. A climbing stand is starting to sound better. What sucks is i know there are deer in them woods, there are tracks every where. No he wasn't a spike he had a rack.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
DUDE!!!!!!!!! REALLY? If you rattled in a deer on your first year hunting you rock. I hunted 4 years before I ever heard a deer grunt.

Just enjoy the addiction, and don't get to caught up in the hipe.

Best of luck.

rsmith

I wouldn't leave at 6 next time. That's prime time right there!

This!! X2!!! That is prime time, I would have started rattling right around 5:40 again to try and get a buck that may be trying to wonder under low light come out a little sooner!

Jason O

I read somewhere that you shouldn't rattle after 4 o'clock. I dont know if that is true for around here. I would have loved to stay later but i park in the little parking area and a guy who i ran into last weekend said the ranger might tow your car if he is there to lock the gate and your still there. It was not a spike

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've deer hunted for 48 yrs. now and I've only heard a buck grunt one time and at that I didn't even see him as he was in brush. Now I've rattled up 10-12 bucks and shot most of them.

DUDE!!!!!!!!! REALLY? If you rattled in a deer on your first year hunting you rock. I hunted 4 years before I ever heard a deer grunt.

Just enjoy the addiction, and don't get to caught up in the hipe.

Best of luck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You had a very exciting hunt just live it and learn from it. Take something from every encounter and every hunt and hone your skills and your hunting prowness. Enjoy the hunt and the chase and soak it all in. Relax and enjoy the moment.
The next encounter first establish if its a deer you want and what the yardage is. Focus on the center of the kill zone and draw your bow or raise your xbow when the deer is not looking your way and settle the appropriate pin on the precise spot you want that arrow to hit and check anchor,bow level and overall form. Slowly bring your finger to trigger and slowly squeeze while focusing on your spot. At the shot do not look for the arrow and trust the arrow will be there. Remember the better the shot the better the hit the better the outcome! Relax learn to control your breathing at the moment of the shot and relax.
You can rattle anytime. Through trial and error you'll learn when and how loud and how long. I find most hunters I see on TV don't even simulate what a fight actually sounds like! They just clack and click antlers together nonstop which is easy for a fast approaching buck to spot because of too much movement. Watch and listen to what fights or sparring actually sound like then practice. Bucks when fighting mostly lock up and shove each other trying to gain leverage and higher ground. Start out softer and shorter sequences and always check to your downwind side. The buck you call in most likely will try and scent check the two bucks he hears fighting. For best results keep it short and sweet to just get a buck to head your way and call from a treestand where they CAN'T get downwind of you like having a river,lake or steep drop off,bluff or other obstacle to your downwind side.
Hope this helps. Have fun and enjoy the ride! Good luck and just try to relax and keep your nerves from getting the best of you. Control your breathing and focus and you'll be fine!

Last edited:

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Relax..........that's what I would do!! LOL Funny to hear of your excitement though!

That was awesome, glad your having a blast... No matter how many times that happen to me, I still get it!!...

thanks for the read it was great to hear... 0500, having breakfast and heading out myself...