Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Weekly Article.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've been thinking about writing a weekly article on TOO that gets down to the nuts and bolts of hunting. The industry today talks more shit than a Chinese radio and makes it difficult to decipher good information from marketing and BS. TOO is in a unique position to really lay it out there as we're not hampered by sponsors and can really speak our mind. We don't have to appease a sponsor or tailor an article that makes our readers believe they need some sort of new crap. I want to cover everything from property, scent control, stands, marketing gimmicks, animal recovery, etc. Many of us here have been around a very long time, we've seen it, read it, know what works, and know BS. I see many new hunters and even seasoned hunters whose only exposure to advice has been TV hunting shows or magazines. I want to cut the crap and give you information that you can take to the bank. Deer hunting isn't some magical witchcraft spell that if said correctly creates success. It doesn't require the purchase of special potions and expensive wands. My goal is to give people the information without the crap. Now to come up with a name. Fox News has take the nomenclature "No spin Zone". I want to title it something similar that really get's the intent across. Something like "This weeks episode of Cut the Crap" Let me know what you guys come up with for a title, I'll be writing.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I'm looking forward to reading all the articles. There is a lot of BS out there that needs to be sorted through. As for a name, I'm not sure But I'll be thinking for a good one.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The truth about hunting

Don't gimmick me crap

See what else I come up with later. I really like this idea and I do see where TOO is in a unique positions and not suppressed by sponsors. I made this a sticky as well. Not that I think it will get lost in the shuffle anytime soon but just for easy look up if somebody has an idea and doesn't loose that idea looking for the thread lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

As an example of what I'm talking about. Here is the raw beginning to the first installment.

Location, Location, Location.

For the first piece of this article we’re going to start at the beginning with what I believe is the most critical aspect of killing mature deer. Property. It’s often said in real-estate “Location, Location, Location”; the same motto is vital in deer hunting. Hunting the correct property is the most critical aspect of success when chasing trophy bucks. If you want to snag a supermodel wife, then hunting outside the local Jenny Craig office isn’t going to achieve the desired result. You have to hunt where they exist. Setting up outside the local plastic surgery center will increase your odds dramatically. The same is true when it comes to hunting mature whitetails.

So often you see these guys on TV and in magazines killing slob bucks year in and year out. They have all the fancy gear, tons of sponsors, and they’re really quick to pimp a product. The reality is, all that crap pays the bills. You don’t need the fastest bow on the market, some magic minerals, or heaven forbid a device that mimics the sound of crunching acorns to kill mature whitetails. At the end of the day you need three basic necessities to kill mature whitetails 1.) Mature whitetails. 2.) Time to hunt. 3.) Something sharp and pointy to kill him with. Obviously this is an overly simplistic list. We could go on for days and days with individual tactics and items that increases your odds. But for the purpose of this segment we’re going to cover the first Item; mature whitetails and where they live.

As our laughable example earlier pointed out, when hunting a supermodel wife you have to hunt where they exist. To understand this we have to understand what creates “mature whitetails”. The number one factor that creates a mature whitetail is in the name, their age. The 2012 QDMA whitetail report states the buck harvest for bucks by age is as follows. 47% 1.5 YO / 31% 2.5 YO / 22% 3.5 YO. This means that 88% of the bucks killed in Ohio are 2.5 years old and younger.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
lets make fun or these stupid hunting articles also...make it like our own youtube channel

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
This is a great idea!
Joe, for what it's worth, here are my initial thoughts:

1) You'll need a topic schedule. Some topics my be 2 or 3 week installment things. Just make a list of topics and prioritize them. Guest contributors can lighten your load.
2) You'll need to choose a group to edit the articles behind the scenes before you post them. Not just for spelling but for content and correctness. Maybe they point out a differing view.
3) Yeah, like Milo says, call bullshit on the commericialized crap.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like it.

TOO cents" or "TOO sense."

"TOO minutes of TOO sense"

"True Hunting: TOO Style"

"The TOO Files"