Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sitting all day

I know I am not a good person to try to still hunt so moving around in the daylight from one stand to another just ain't gonna happen. As far as all day sits go, comfort is the only way you can make it all day. My first all day sits in a normal hang on with flip down seats never went very well. Once I used my climber with a sling seat I realized that was the way to go and now most of our hang on's and ladders have sling style seats or at least arm rests to help out with those all day sits.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Really? I always feel like if I move, it'll be my luck that something comes through right after. Now you got me thinking.
Roger Rothaar was a big advocate of this. IMO , I know he's right! You see, it's the pre rut and rut and it's going hot and heavy somewhere. It could be just over the ridge or on another farm, but it's happening. Those days when you see multiple bucks in a frenzy and grunting from all directions. There's a good chance that the guy down the hollow a half mile ain't seen chit. Now Iam only saying this if you don't see, hear or suspect a deer in your immediate area. Those all day hunts in the same stand during November aren't happening to me anymore!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I've always heard people say that if you don't see movement than move because it's happening somewhere.. I've never tried this as I'm afraid of when I get down and move I will do more damage spoking something that could have been going towards my original location.

teej89

NE PA
I agree with the moving, last year I wasn't seeing crap for two days and decided to move around 930, and could go silently cuz we just got that snow. Got to my new spot round 1015 took a nap till 1130 at the base of the tree, climbed up and was ready by noon and at 1 had 3 small bucks running all around this drainage and out of the drainage pops up a nice 10pt tending a doe. Never got a shot but it just goes to show I was only 500yds away form my original stand and didn't see crap earlier.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree with bro on this and I remember reading a Rothaar article about this tactic back in the 80's myself. RR was one of the most successful hunters back in the day and shared a lot of valuable info.

Lockdown is the big part of this having no action in "your area" during the rut so as long as you have other places to move to that option is a great idea! Those who have just their one place to hunt are left to just watch the squirrels and other critters scurry about till the bucks come off that one hot doe.

I got skunked the last two mornings and this afternoon I just got my permission slip signed allowing me to hunt a 500 acre farm not 2 miles from where I've been hunting up till now. Guess where I'm hunting right now? It sure is nice to have this option to move when things are slow at your primary hunting place. So if you're in that position its not too late to knock on a few doors.

redeye33

After about 3 or 4 hours I feel like jumping down and running around the tree a few times! No way could I sit all day, dont know how you guys do it. I heard the longer you are married the longer you can sit, is that true?:smiley_crocodile:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've done more all day sets than 1/2 day sets. But as I get older I do less. I'll see how it goes this weekend.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If its going to be as windy as they say it will be very hard to endure an all day sit in a tree, IMO. I'd be smoking up the blind if I were planning an all dayer....just sayin!

According to intellicast we're getting a northerly wind at 10-20 MPH with gusts up to 35 here locally in the SW.....ugh! Put on an extra few layers TOOzers cuz your gonna need it!

Last edited: